DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

CWD in Wisconsin

11/4/19 @ 3:09 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Well LittleLuck that was quite a rant about a lot of things regarding deer hunting. What all hunters want is for our deer to forever run free in our wild lands nationwide! I think every hunter if he/she is a hunter wants that. The fact is we DON'T KNOW -YET! Scientists in a lot of states and provinces are working trying to understand what we have on our hands and if there is a threat long term to our deer and elk populations and if it can become a problem for the human population. What I want is for people to understand that this disease is no joke. We need to continue to demand the DNR studies the disease and find out all we can

Displaying 46 to 60 of 387 posts
2/16/24 @ 8:50 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
Yes Turkey, as Gillespie said, you can't trust those darn biologists. They adhere to "he said" science. I guess his support of researchers is only true when the agenda is adhered to. Any deviation, no matter the truthfulness, will be defined as "cherry picking" and "closed minded" by the sheep.
2/16/24 @ 7:56 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
Fin, are you even capable of reading two consecutive sentences without misinterpreting their intent. My post merely pointed out there  ARE advances in CWD research.  I've made no value judgement on their utility to myself or anyone else. Personally, I would find a rapid test to be of great value. I have little doubt that CWD will eventually become common in my area. Since my grandkids will eventually be eating deer I harvest, YES, I will test!!
2/16/24 @ 5:27 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Turkey, the TN article u cite is a "he said, she said" deal and nothing has been ruled on in a court of law.  Let the case and the facts play out and stop cherry picking articles that are misleading just because they fall on your side of the issue.

Edit:  The TN biologist was fired and now there's a lawsuit.  He claims one thing and the state claims another.  Before judgment is passed, let it play out in court.
2/16/24 @ 2:33 PM
Turkeyslayer2
User since 8/28/11
Another article by a Research Scientist with over 40 years in wildlife disease study

https://www.texasdeerassociation.com/fake-chronic-wasting-disease-news-or-scientific-misinformation-on-cwd/
2/16/24 @ 2:29 PM
Turkeyslayer2
User since 8/28/11
Oh by the way it has happened where state agencies have lied about the spread of CWD to gain $$ resources

https://tennesseelookout.com/2023/09/07/former-tennessee-wildlife-and-resources-agency-biologist-agency-manipulated-data-on-deer-disease/

2/16/24 @ 2:05 PM
Turkeyslayer2
User since 8/28/11
I'm sure they are robertwhite but the government agencies begging for everyone to test every deer and coming up with tests for live deer are wasting the $$.  They've been testing deer for 50+ years and it hasn't produced anything new.  Use all that testing $$ to research how to kill/eliminate the prions and that answer/solution will protect our deer herd.
2/16/24 @ 1:34 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
LOL, the people who question the status quo, government sanctioned,  rhetoric are closed minded? Wow. Certainly more effort could be attempted to get your derogatory labels correct.

Then we got the guy spouting advancement in testing is necessary, same guy who admits he doesn't participate in the current testing processes as recommended by the government.

Yikes.
2/16/24 @ 1:26 PM
cm1234
User since 8/3/12
Seems the 5x increase in the DNR's CWD propaganda budget for FY2022 is paying dividends.
2/16/24 @ 12:58 PM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08
"You guys need to do your research and realize that the prion that is responsible for this can live in the soil for up to 3 years and that's how it starts.  Then it can be spread from deer to deer."

Actually, the fact you can make that comment is a direct result of some of that 'wasted' money spent on CWD research.

"Find out how to segregate and kill the prions in the soil that cause the abnormal folding of the proteins in the deer and that's how the dollars should be spent"

It seems you are assuming someone isn’t already researching this.
2/16/24 @ 12:21 PM
Turkeyslayer2
User since 8/28/11
Please tell me what a test is going to prove in live deer?  How are they planning to sample live wild deer anyway?  What if the deer is found to have it?  Do they kill it?  You guys need to do your research and realize that the prion that is responsible for this can live in the soil for up to 3 years and that's how it starts.  Then it can be spread from deer to deer.  Killing a deer with CWD isn't going to stop the spread of the disease.  They're starting at the wrong end of it.  Find out how to segregate and kill the prions in the soil that cause the abnormal folding of the proteins in the deer and that's how the dollars should be spent, not testing to see which deer has it.  Waste, waste, waste....deer and dollars
2/16/24 @ 11:44 AM
cm1234
User since 8/3/12
Why is a rapid test "badly needed"? Serious question, why spend money on developing a rapid test for something that doesn't affect humans, and something that we can't prevent deer from spreading? 
2/16/24 @ 10:41 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
When I'm sick, I go to the doctor.  Not some quack who thinks they know better.  Consider the source, always!
2/16/24 @ 10:37 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
Check out some of the University of Minnesota research Turkey. Researchers are very close to a rapid test for CWD which is badly needed. They also appear to be on the right path to discover a test that would confirm the presence of CWD in live deer and also in deer feces. We'd all like to see quicker more dramatic progress. Doesn't always work that way. Doesn't mean dollars are wasted and claiming people are into it for the money is a totally unsubstantiated comment that happens to be your personal opinion and nothing more.
2/16/24 @ 10:24 AM
Turkeyslayer2
User since 8/28/11
Keep the labeling going boys....you won't ever change my mind.  You guys keep lapping up the fodder they're feeding you and enjoy wasting your license and tax dollars doing the same thing for another 50 years and see if that gets you anywhere.  CWD will still be here and so will deer.
2/16/24 @ 9:15 AM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08
“….it becomes fairly obvious which side of the ditch the closed minded folks are laying in.”

LOL

Another link to upset the closed minded folks
Displaying 46 to 60 of 387 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE