LOGIN
Lake-Link

GREEN BAY PACKERS

7/31/02 @ 6:12 PM
ORIGINAL POST
tim
tim
User since 6/19/01
Green Bay Packers. Lets talk.........................

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 56,049 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
9/29/20 @ 12:56 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I'm okay with Summers in the middle.  He looked fast.  Yes he wiffed a few times, but also made a couple plays on Kamara, which no else seemed capable of.  He will get better.

9/29/20 @ 12:41 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

The only thing I saw different between Summers and Kirksey was that Summers actually ran faster and looked more confident on his keys.  As in his first steps were usually right.  No offense to Kirksey, but Summers looked pretty good to me.  Young, fresh legs.

In our scheme, the ILB is there to cover up for the Smiths.  Per Blake Martinez.  We run nothing to really help out the ILB, so it doesn't really matter who is out there.  I'm good with Summers, Barnes and Burks.  If Atlanta does air it out, I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Burks can do as a cover 'backer.

9/29/20 @ 9:32 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

PC-  Not sure who is still out there at ILB..Saw the ex-Bronco's LB/Davis was picked up last week...I believe Clay is still available !! Agree we could use some help but assume Gute/MLF will go into the game with who is on the current roster.. Agreed that Summers is no Blake Martinez  but he is our best option right now.. I do not believe the promising rookie Martin will be coming off the IR anytime soon. 

Vegas-  Agree 100% about the comments on Pettine and his vanilla defense.. it was obvious Brees was not going to throw the ball downfield and we did very little to press the line of scrimmage or takeaway the short passing game.. At least the Saints did scheme to keep the ball away from Jones and force MLF/#12 to use other weapons.

9/29/20 @ 8:58 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

Don't like summers, lacks discipline, doesn't play under control,  whiffs to many times. The kind of guy who will give up large chunks of yardage in the running game.     :JMO

9/29/20 @ 8:43 AM
perch chaser
User since 2/6/03

Christian Kirksey out up to 4 weeks with a shoulder injury. I guess one should expect that with his injury history the past 2 years. Should GB take  their lumps and go  with the youngsters at LB, or wait for Kamal Martin who showed great promise during camp, to return from IR. Or should they try to cobble together something off of the NFL scrap heap.

9/29/20 @ 8:42 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Pressure on Atlanta QB will be very important if our secondary is overtaxed. 

9/29/20 @ 8:32 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

To go far, this team needs to keep evolving the offense.  And I think they will.

Defensively they have a lot of work to do.  Our DC needs to adjust big time.  No more vanilla stuff.

And we need to get and stay healthy.

You see against New Orleans?  Without Adams, they manned up MVS and had a safety over the top, all the time.  And when Jones motioned out, they pulled one of their good corners out with him.  Usually Lattimore.  It really took MVS and Jones out of the game, and forced us to beat them with TE's and the "other" WR's.  And we did.

Our defensive gameplan?  Nothing.  Same old same old.  Kamara motions out?  We put a linebacker on him.  Or Redmond.  Our very good corners stayed on their mostly pedestrian wide receivers.  Yah, we won, which is great, but we need to do better on defense if we think this is a club that can win it all.

And the parts are there, player wise.  I question Pettine.  If he were to run some of that defensive "scheme" stuff like he did in first year, I think we'd be in a pretty good place.

Looks like Kirksey is out this game.  I'm unsure just how much of drop off there will be from him to Summers.  Atlanta can really throw the ball around, so this will really test our secondary.  All our pass rushers need to step up and it sure would help to get Clark back to push the middle.

But all in all, this is nice start and the offense looks oh so much better than I thought it would.  Defense has had it's lapses, no doubt, but it also has shown how tough it can be when it needs to be.  

9/29/20 @ 8:31 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Looks like Kirksey will miss some time so Summers will have to step up.. He certainly appears to be more physical in the run game and held his own when playing the pass and making some open field tackles.. Certainly more time for the rookie Barnes and also Burkes.. Noticed that Burks even got some snaps at OLB on Sunday and hope he can at least be effective using his speed to help cover the pass game.. Saints have two very good tackles (including X-Badger- Ramczyk) but we need a lot more from the Smith's..

Falcons up next and we should be able to move the ball/score on them.. Their coach is on the hot seat after the Bears/Cowboys collapse but they still have some good weapons on offense. Would be great if J. Jones was still banged up..

9/29/20 @ 12:27 AM
nihsif
nihsif
MEMBER since 6/15/01

"There is another Colinsworth! 

Noooooooooooooo!! "

just saw this DK, lmao!!

9/28/20 @ 6:19 PM
Driftless Bowhunter
Driftless Bowhunter
User since 12/14/11

As others have mentioned, it looks like Aaron is having fun again. Looks like he is totally onboard with MLF and his game plans......How huge is that? 

I tell you what, if the defense can get better and the way the offense is clicking, this team can go far this year.....VERY far

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 56,049 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.