Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Chicago Bears

8/2/02 @ 9:03 AM
ORIGINAL POST
smug
USER SINCE 7/3/01
Some notes on the Bears' minicamp from football.com.

Quarterback Jim Miller looked to have no ill effects from the health problems he experienced during mini-camp. One thing that did impress us is how Miller was threading the needle in between defenders. He was on target and had a good amount of zip on the ball. We have to imagine that some of his receivers may have had sore hands after hearing the cracking sound of the ball hitting them in the hands on many occasions. Another thing that may be a bad omen for Chicago opponents is how the deep passes were hitting the receivers.......right in stride many times. And on the incompletions, there were no short rounds that would be easy pickings for defenders. In a nutshell, Miller showed no weakness in terms of arm strength. Chris Chandler also made some nice throws, but it was Miller who impressed us most.

Another thing that stood out were the dropped passes.......or maybe we should say the lack thereof. The Chicago receivers took some heat last season for their inconsistent play, specifically drops and bad routes. Outside of some rustiness by Marcus Robinson early in the day, the drops were pretty much absent, and the routes looked sharper. Marty Booker still looked to be the man, and even took a bow after hauling in a bomb that prompted the fans chant his name. But Dez White and David Terrell were sharp as well. White has made major progress in his game from 2001. So much so, that Booker and White are the starting receivers at this point, according to coach Dick Jauron. David Terrell is right there on his heels, and appears to be all business as he enters his second season.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11,456 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

9/16/21 @ 3:46 PM
Pool8
USER SINCE 1/27/17

Told the wifes father Bears 17 -14 , he's making picks for his high stakes weekly Rotary club pool. 

9/16/21 @ 3:34 PM
chaw
MEMBER SINCE 9/11/02

Montgomery going to be too much for the Bengals. Bears win this game 24-13

9/13/21 @ 5:32 PM
chaw
MEMBER SINCE 9/11/02

Good points Topam and ZMan. 

JumpSteady- Your point about the Bears dinking and dunkin is a great one. I agreed with you when I read it but didn’t really consider how lame they were. Dalton only threw 2 passes over 10 yards. I didn’t say completed but attempts. That is as conservative as I can remember but then they go for it on every 4th and 4 so I’m very confused what Nagy is doing. Solid point JS. 

9/13/21 @ 4:50 PM
topam
USER SINCE 1/22/05

I'm still curious if the Bears defensive coaches know what the Safety does in football, it seems over the years we continue to get beat by the long ball.  Now when I reference we get beat usually the receivers are at least 5 to 10 yards past the defense, pretty hard to stop touchdowns when they are that wide open.   Well Cincy next week all we can ask for is a win

9/13/21 @ 9:31 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
USER SINCE 2/8/06

I agree with Chaw that the (Dalton) offense will get us by until Fields takes over. I felt that the offense did a pretty good job at moving the ball. The play calling hurt us more than the players on the field. 

The defense is what I was most disappointed in. If we don’t get after the QB and cause havoc in the backfield. The secondary can’t keep tight coverage long enough to prevent a completion down the field. 

I think we hung in the game good, but you have to get points when you can. 

On the Tribinsky vs Dalton comparison. Tribisky would just add confusion to an offense that is trying to find its identity. Dalton has seen the whole picture and will give you the best chance to be consistent and allow the rest of the offense to find itself.

9/13/21 @ 8:51 AM
chaw
MEMBER SINCE 9/11/02

JS this is just a dress rehearsal for the real quarterback. The Bears will be 2-2 when Fields takes over. Then they will open up the offense. Agree if it’s Andy Dalton I stay with Mitch. 

9/13/21 @ 8:47 AM
jumpsteady
jumpsteady
MEMBER SINCE 12/25/01

Looks like more Dink passes from the QB.

You should have kept the last starter.

9/13/21 @ 8:06 AM
chaw
MEMBER SINCE 9/11/02

Agree with BA about the coaching decisions. Thought the O line and Montgomery were good. The safeties were awful. Big area of concern. There were some positive things. Would like a rematch with that team in Chicago. Rams are fast and good on both sides of the ball. 

9/13/21 @ 7:14 AM
Leechster
Leechster
USER SINCE 1/22/21

That’s funny BA!! 

9/13/21 @ 7:09 AM
Carpio
MEMBER SINCE 11/5/17

Bohemian life style    I like that!    His image change is not helping. CARPIO    

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 11,456 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.