DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

CWD in Wisconsin

11/4/19 @ 3:09 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Well LittleLuck that was quite a rant about a lot of things regarding deer hunting. What all hunters want is for our deer to forever run free in our wild lands nationwide! I think every hunter if he/she is a hunter wants that. The fact is we DON'T KNOW -YET! Scientists in a lot of states and provinces are working trying to understand what we have on our hands and if there is a threat long term to our deer and elk populations and if it can become a problem for the human population. What I want is for people to understand that this disease is no joke. We need to continue to demand the DNR studies the disease and find out all we can

Displaying 76 to 90 of 387 posts
1/26/24 @ 12:15 PM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08
Fishin....HA!  Yup...my mind sure did go there :)  And I wasn't insinuating that your post was "that kind of post", so apologies if you thought that's what I meant.
1/26/24 @ 11:29 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14
Jokes on you RW. I never stated anything against the rules. Your mind just naturally went that way. My post was to vague. Kind of left it up for the imagination to decide. 
1/26/24 @ 9:57 AM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08
"We got far bigger problems than CWD. Way worse."

Oh yes, absolutely agree there!   But that kind of conversation on this site will get ya booted 😊
1/26/24 @ 9:56 AM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08
“Ironically these things have already occurred in Northern Wisconsin, although not from CWD, the end result is the same.”

And hunters are unhappy, right?  What are the solutions to these problems where the end result is the same?

Northern WI: reduce antlerless harvest while prioritizing more logging to create better habitat to support more deer.   Continued predator management too.  Agree?
Southern WI: What do you do when a disease (not habitat, not predators) ultimately becomes the driving force on deer population control?  Thoughts and prayers for the deer while wishing it will go away? 
1/26/24 @ 9:55 AM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08
“Noone said the dnr wants cwd” fishfillet

Actually, this guy did:

…..I have always said as well that CWD is COVID for the DNR. They love it more than they would love the absence of it……., the last thing the DNR wants is for this to go away.” Bowhunting Guy, 1/22/24 6:50pm post
1/26/24 @ 9:08 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
Should toss a 18 year old in there too! 
1/26/24 @ 8:44 AM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Dr. Walloch should run for president.  We have two 80 year olds squaring off for the top job in the country.  Why not throw a 90 year old into the mix?!!
1/25/24 @ 7:36 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
RW said re: southwestern WI: "My opinion: Is CWD going to wipe out the WI deer herd?  No.  Is it going to change the deer herd into something else that we may not like, such as smaller bucks or fewer deer in general?   Don’t be too quick to say “no”. " 

Ironically these things have already occurred in Northern Wisconsin, although not from CWD, the end result is the same.
1/25/24 @ 5:20 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
I’m more concerned with what’s going on way south. We got far bigger problems than CWD. Way worse. Bunch of heads in the sand, the fox is in the hen house.
1/25/24 @ 4:52 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
Robert, nobody said the dnr out to get anyone. However,  they are taking advantage of getting lots of money to fund the research.  You say you know a few people.  Everyone does.  I know someone who is in the hunting industry and has had some conversations with a trusted local warden.  The warden didn't go into details but said were not exactly being told the truth about cwd.
1/25/24 @ 4:33 PM
oldhunter
User since 2/28/13
Deer farms aren't the problem ???????????     Here's another one. 

​https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/sheboygan-county-deer-farm-confirmed-with-cwd-state-officials-said/ar-BB1hgyFo?ocid=mailsignout&pc=U591&cvid=353b8739fefc409f9326c196a2d05dc2&ei=16​​​
1/24/24 @ 9:29 PM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08
"His views are different but I respect him. No need to degrade him"
Fishin…..thank you for that.   I will return that sentiment to you as well.

I hunt public and private land in the southwestern part of the state and have harvested CWD+ deer.   I test my deer and would hate to see that option go away if somehow DNR lost funding to pay for it.  I have long time friends and hunting buddies who work with DNR in some shape or form, and not just wildlife.  I know Foresters, Water Quality staff too.  None of them are out to get you.  None.  To read statements such as the DNR is involved in some cottage industry with CWD and money is beyond ridiculous.  It’s why I’m quick to throw the challenge flag when I see such silliness.

My opinion: Is CWD going to wipe out the WI deer herd?  No.  Is it going to change the deer herd into something else that we may not like, such as smaller bucks or fewer deer in general?   Don’t be too quick to say “no”. 

I’ve heard the crazy stories of DNR releasing cougars, or dumping wolves out of black vans in the middle of the night, and I know it’s an act in futility to argue with folks who are set in these views.  Such as I find myself on this thread. 
1/24/24 @ 8:52 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
The big city just keeps voting them in. Wake up men! I’m talking straight to you blue no matter who.
1/24/24 @ 8:49 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
I do agree that the handling of CWD by the DNR is a complete joke. A bunch of bureaucrats trying to do the work that good ol country boys should be doing. Not everyone in the DNR is a joke, just the top brass!! 
1/24/24 @ 8:47 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
Rw is a good guy. His views are different but I respect him. No need to degrade him. 
Displaying 76 to 90 of 387 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEXâ„¢ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE