MORE
Ice Fishing

Countdown to Go Time Part 2

11/9/22 @ 12:17 AM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

It's almost here. When are you hoping to get out and what part of the state? 

Couldn't find the original thread, so I started this one.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 93 posts
11/18/22 @ 9:28 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Pic

Countdown to Go Time Part 2 photo by n.pike
11/18/22 @ 7:48 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Almost go time for me. Drove around a few small area Lakes today. All sorts of various ice formations. Some no ice.  I’m sure a few guys will be out this weekend. Stay safe. This lake looked almost ready to go.

11/16/22 @ 8:58 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Gotta love it! 

11/14/22 @ 11:45 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Pearl-I look forward to getting back there. Do what you need to be safe, but I think some of those pothole lakes will be ready.

Saw a little ice today driving around. Once it's on, it won't be off for a LONG time!

11/14/22 @ 8:25 PM
Pearle68
User since 9/13/09

NPike - maybe I'll see you in the Ottawa this weekend!  Gotta believe some of those pothole lakes will be fishable.  With floatsuit, spikes and log of life!  Good luck all

11/14/22 @ 3:23 PM
MRGLAX
User since 10/20/05

Skim ice on some of the backwaters in La Crosse today.

If you want average temps they are on the WU site if you click on the history tab.

11/14/22 @ 9:36 AM
mcgeer
User since 12/4/18

got everything out yesterday and started charging batteries, etc. Respooled tip ups and laid out all my jigs and lures, I have a bit of shopping to do! Oh darn... any good early black friday deals out yet?

11/13/22 @ 8:47 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I can guarantee you there will be people out this upcoming weekend. There are known spots in Vilas County that Ice up quick!!  Will probably put a thin layer on tonight. And just continue making it. By Saturday. 3 inches. Shallow water. There are always people out very early on  these certain waters.

11/12/22 @ 10:05 PM
pflueger
User since 7/23/03

Friday after Thanksgiving if forecast holds I expect to be fishing around Rhinelander I am guessing on 3-6" of ice. 

11/11/22 @ 3:51 PM
fishnhunt14
User since 4/17/07

I am excited for ice but won't be out until after I fill my buck tag and one or two doe tags. It will definitely be one of the earlier years for central/ southern WI to have ice. 

11/11/22 @ 7:25 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20

Like others have said lately we get that one warm week in December which sucks but every year is different but it's kind of been a trend. For places I go I try to calculate the ice with the freezing degree days but alot of times there's more ice than I calculated by the formula when I drill the first hole. Hope the snow holds off until we have good ice. Got my gear ready last weekend can't wait for that first ice trip.

11/10/22 @ 10:18 AM
badgerstatehunter
User since 2/6/06

The key to making ice is both temps and daylight. Wind as well, at least early.  Last year we had a huge cold snap before Christmas but the wind was chopping up water.  Once ice is on the wind isn't nearly as big a factor as it's blocked by existing ice.  You are correct.  A high of say 36 is only above freezing for a few hours.  A low of 20 when its dark most of the time means its closer to 20 far more often.  Sun angle also plays a role.  Sun is getting very low.  This is also why when you get a warm up in say January or February when it may hit 40, it barely does anything to ice.  In fact it usually keeps making ice as it's below freezing far longer and warm times don't effect ice much due to sun angle (love fishing these days).   But when it gets into 40s in mid march the ice goes away fast.  More daylight and higher sun angle.  Looking at forecast, We may be ice fishing early December this year in Western Wisconsin.  I hope so as I love when it starts right after deer season.

11/10/22 @ 12:49 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Love the formula for making ice. My only two thoughts:

1. The average high and low would need to be calculated over the entire day. For example, if the high was 32 and the low 20, I don't know that the average temp would necessarily be 26 since there isn't much daylight anymore and I'd imagine the majority of the 24 hour period was closer to 20 than 32, so the average might be like 24.5 or something....

2. Once ice forms, does it take more cold to keep increasing the ice? For example, if 3 inches of ice are on a lake, does it take more "time" for the 4th inch to arrive vs. going from 1 inch to 2 inches?

I don't know. I just know that with early ice, the first 4 inches seems to go on very quickly, then it seems to slow from my memory. 

11/9/22 @ 8:36 PM
svitreum
svitreum
PRO MEMBER User since 8/29/06

Gonna be awhile down here. If I get on before Christmas that's a bonus.

11/9/22 @ 3:59 PM
tzeilstra
User since 8/4/08

I'll be out on Pickerel Lake (Langlade/Forest County) on Thanksgiving if the forecast holds! Can't wait!

Displaying 76 to 90 of 93 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE