MORE
Ice Fishing

Augers

10/10/23 @ 3:34 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Eskimo under 14 pounds with their new model. Very tempting. Thought my Ion at 22 or 23 pounds was light. 

What auger do you have or want these days? 

Displaying 61 to 75 of 78 posts
12/3/23 @ 12:29 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
250 bucks last spring for a strike master  24v with a 6 inch lite flite auger. I already had the 8 inch for it so I'm set for a long time. Bought a Greenworks 24 volt battery for it as an extra battery (one small modification to make it work) that was half the price of a strikemaster 24v battery so I can drill plenty of holes out there! Ive never needed to use the second battery yet though but a nice feature on the Greenworks battery is that it has a USB port on it so I can run my lights in my shanty or charge my phone with it!
12/3/23 @ 7:50 AM
Direwolf66
PRO MEMBER User since 2/21/20
Wow that's great! They look great I fondle them every time I am in a store with one on display. Makes my strikemaster feel like a lead balloon. I think I will get the 10" lite flight for mine. It is on my Christmas list lol
12/3/23 @ 12:24 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
my family got me the new Eskimo E40 composite 10 inch.
Good as advertised! Light. Drills smooth and fast. Great features. Very pleased! 
10/30/23 @ 3:50 PM
Kempdog1113
User since 6/8/16
I got 40 volt strikemaster a couple of seasons ago 

The only complaint I have is it hard to Rerdrill yesterday's hole. The ion has ring on bottom which makes it centered on the hole nice inside a shack
10/27/23 @ 7:55 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
FB memories just reminded me that I purchased my kdrill/MKE combo 6 years ago. Roughly 9k holes later and 2 drill repairs under warranty, she's still going strong!

I used to be a big advocate for the drill combos, and I still am for the most part as you really can't beat the speed or weight of them, but the cost was always my big push for drill combos. You used to be able to get a drill and 2 batteries for under $200, and then $100 for a bit so you were looking at $300 for a combo that would get the average fisherman through even late ice depths in the north. Nowadays you're looking at $300 for a drill and 2 batteries and $150 for a bit, so at $450 you are creeping up towards the price of a electric auger unit and weight is ​virtually irrelevant anymore.
10/27/23 @ 7:48 AM
Flasch24
Flasch24
User since 1/8/18
I love my Strikemaster 40v but I tried one of my buddies 24v and I really wanna get one of those now, so much lighter and more compact and still has the great punch like the 40v.  Strikemaster has just been way to reliable and awesome of a drill to even consider going a different route.
10/12/23 @ 2:54 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I do agree. Until those things hit the ice in your own hands, you just don’t know. I am pretty sure though that I’d like that auger! 
10/12/23 @ 7:45 AM
Bemidji-Bergquist
Bemidji-Bergquist
User since 3/23/20
It's nice and I do like the design and the price is not to bad but I already own 2 electric augers and a few pounds different is not a real big deal to me compared to hauling around a gas anger for years plus I would like to see it in person.  Ardisam Inc who owns ion and Eskimo also owns jiffy now. A few guys I fished with last year late ice had the 24v strike master auger and it was a joke late ice to weak and the battery didn't last long while the other electric angers had no problems. 
10/11/23 @ 3:19 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Any reviews of the auger currently on youtube are 100% biased as the only people who had access to them last season were the Eskimo pro-staffers. True with any new products until released for a season. Just food for thought, I won't go on my tangent about the BS of pro-staffers.
10/11/23 @ 12:41 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-mYYQBXO56c

I have a lot of respect for guys who use cordless drills on their augers. Financially makes sense and they do the job!
Here’s a 2 minute video review of the new Eskimo. Love how you can change speeds and  plus a long battery life! 40v. I think ION is the “trendy” brand, but it’s the same company and this new Eskimo seems to be the best and most modern yet from ION/Eskimo series of 

10/11/23 @ 10:51 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01
I used a DeWalt DCD 991, clam plate and 5, 6, and 8 inch Lazer augers for 5 years.  I got the 8 inch lite flite at the end of the 2021 ice fishing season and sold the 8 inch Lazer hand auger to someone for half the price of the new lite flite.  At the end of the season this last winter I got the 24 Volt Strikemaster and 6 inch lite flite (since I already had the 8 inch) and sold my clam plate for 50 bucks to someone, and my 6 inch Lazer for 40 bucks, so I got some of the cost back.  I was trying to sell the DeWalt as well, but found out the clutch is loose after using it for 5 years on my auger, so I kept it.  Still works, but is on its way out I think.

My impression: Using a cordless drill and a lite flite/Kdrill/Pistol bit/you name it is a great setup and costs a little less than any of the batter augers. But if you use it enough during the ice season, it makes as much sense buying one made just for drilling ice as it would've been buying a gas auger that only cuts ice years ago. I think I paid 230 bucks for the 24V Strikemaster with the 6 inch bit which is why I bough it.  Couldn't get another DeWalt for much less than that!

I still have my 8 inch gas auger that's almost 40 years old and I've been wanting a 10 inch auger for it. This year Strikemaster came out with a 10 inch lite flite and I may just buy it for my gas auger. It is recommended not to be used with the 24 volt, only the 40 volt, but they said it will fit most gas augers too (not Jiffy, cause their drill turns the other direction).

Lastly, I've read in some forums regarding the new Eskimo auger and why they would make this when they already own the Ion series: Marketing! Some will buy the Ion because it's reliable and tested through several ice seasons already.  Others will buy the new Eskimo because it's got the Eskimo brand on it. Which one is superior we probably won't know for a few years, but I like what I see in the new Eskimo auger. 
10/11/23 @ 7:16 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07
I have a Dewalt 999, Clam plate, and an 8" Lazer bit. Haven't weighed it but I can't imagine it's over 12lbs with the 9ah battery. Lighter yet if I just use a 5ah. Cuts like lightning.
Certainly a massive upgrade from the 33lb Jiffy 3hp!
10/10/23 @ 9:02 PM
Direwolf66
That is intriguing, I would like to see one in action also 
10/10/23 @ 8:04 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I really gotta see the Eskimo E40 composite 8 inch auger. 
Up to 3.2 inches per second (I’m sure that slows with depth and battery use, but still…) up to 1,300 inches of ice. (Can’t think of when I even go over 300? Only in March or April maybe)
13.5 pounds. Has a trigger where you can vary the speed and a reverse toggle switch feature. 
10/10/23 @ 6:52 PM
Direwolf66
I have a strikemaster 40v with a 10" auger. I absolutely love it. Even with the bigger auger there is plenty of power and battery life
Displaying 61 to 75 of 78 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE