SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
INITIAL POST
BearHillSportsman
User since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Displaying 30 to 44 of 2,926 posts
9/19/23 @ 7:24 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06
Interesting site on Facebook " Wisconsin Citizen Wolf Count". Lots of pictures of wolves and discussions about how the wolves are affecting bear hunting. Looks like our greatest fear besides the tree huggers are coming true. Seems like the consensus amongst bear hunters in the Northern half of the state is a lack of younger bears. Meaning only 1 thing that the wolves are taking down bears now and taking them right out of the dens. Give it a couple years and bear hunting will suck As bad as the deer hunting up north. SAD!!
9/17/23 @ 1:33 PM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
Bear was at bait 4 minutes before me
Tried this morning after not seeing him last night
Nothing
Saw a sow and two cubs Thursday and that’s been it so far

Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by Flipdibbler
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by Flipdibbler
9/13/23 @ 8:42 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13
PS-  That is outstanding!!! Kudo's to that group who helped your dad. Good karma should be coming their way!!! 
9/12/23 @ 6:29 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12
Swede thats a heart warmer. Thanks for sharing.
9/12/23 @ 7:19 AM
Dukers
Dukers
User since 6/30/21
I'm packing up this morning to head to zone D for my first ever bear hunt. Wife also drew a tag and will be joining me Friday. We're using a guide and hunting over bait. Controlled excitement is the game plan. I've competed in various shooting disciplines throughout my life and hoping to draw on that to stay somewhat calm if I get a shot. What I really want is the wife to harvest one. That would make my year.
9/10/23 @ 10:01 PM
clueless
User since 10/24/04
Pimply Sweed that’s a great story and the pictures make it even sweeter. I have a Zone B tag and after this Wednesday I hope to make a report. Thank you for sharing!
9/10/23 @ 6:46 PM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09
An unexpected surprise today.  My father had a tag but has been dealing with medical issues.   A lack of willing/able youngsters to transfer the tag in the family left him with the prospect of eating tag soup. 

Yesterday, a local group of hunters harvested a 400# next to their property , got permission to cross his land to retrieve their bear.  Today they rewarded him.....in spades.

Yesterday they learned he had a tag that he couldn't use.  "Hold my beer."  Today they put a bear up in a tree close to a road, called him and said if you want to fill your tag, we will get you under the tree.

Loaded him up in a UTV, brought him to within 20  yards of the tree, got him in his wheelchair and under the tree where he made the harvest.

I can't thank them enough for making a dream come true for my Dad.  He's shot several bear in the past, but this was one nobody thought he would get.  True sportsmen in every definition.
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by PimplySwede
9/9/23 @ 8:06 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01
No bears out there or just not reporting ?
9/8/23 @ 9:02 PM
Steelhead88
User since 4/13/22
Thanks Samfox !!
9/8/23 @ 7:53 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Steelhead,  congratulations nice bear
9/8/23 @ 2:24 PM
Steelhead88
User since 4/13/22
Got this boar Wed - opening day in Mi . 196 lbs went about 20 yards after shot . Will get shoulder mount    
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by Steelhead88
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by Steelhead88
9/5/23 @ 9:40 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Good luck boys and girls.  Let’s see some pictures 
9/5/23 @ 8:23 PM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
Good luck to everyone tomorrow!
8/31/23 @ 6:57 PM
Jesse Quale
Jesse Quale
User since 1/25/09
Still have availability to hunt over bait in zone c, well established baits, hunt the entire season or till you harvest a bear.

Good luck be safe.

Let’s go hunting!
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by greenwaterwalleye
8/28/23 @ 2:33 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
xlesox - North Country Taxidermy in Hazlehurst will skin a bear and let you keep it in their freezer overnight.  I forget what they charge though so would have to call them.  I had my last bear mounted by them and they had mentioned they offer that.  Granted this was a few years ago already.

They won't cut it up obviously, you'd have to pick it up the next day and either butcher it yourself or take it somewhere else for that.
Displaying 30 to 44 of 2,926 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE