SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
INITIAL POST
BearHillSportsman
User since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

Displaying 31 to 45 of 2,919 posts
9/8/23 @ 9:02 PM
Steelhead88
User since 4/13/22
Thanks Samfox !!
9/8/23 @ 7:53 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Steelhead,  congratulations nice bear
9/8/23 @ 2:24 PM
Steelhead88
User since 4/13/22
Got this boar Wed - opening day in Mi . 196 lbs went about 20 yards after shot . Will get shoulder mount    
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by Steelhead88
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by Steelhead88
9/5/23 @ 9:40 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Good luck boys and girls.  Let’s see some pictures 
9/5/23 @ 8:23 PM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
Good luck to everyone tomorrow!
8/31/23 @ 6:57 PM
Jesse Quale
Jesse Quale
User since 1/25/09
Still have availability to hunt over bait in zone c, well established baits, hunt the entire season or till you harvest a bear.

Good luck be safe.

Let’s go hunting!
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by greenwaterwalleye
8/28/23 @ 2:33 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
xlesox - North Country Taxidermy in Hazlehurst will skin a bear and let you keep it in their freezer overnight.  I forget what they charge though so would have to call them.  I had my last bear mounted by them and they had mentioned they offer that.  Granted this was a few years ago already.

They won't cut it up obviously, you'd have to pick it up the next day and either butcher it yourself or take it somewhere else for that.
8/27/23 @ 5:08 PM
kirby14
kirby14
User since 1/11/23
Steve White - A bucks horn?
8/27/23 @ 4:06 PM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
There’s a sow with one older cub that has this boar following them around. Like an arguing husband and wife
Wisconsin Bear Hunting photo by Flipdibbler
8/27/23 @ 10:51 AM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
From looking at the pictures it shows they’re hitting it the next day between 1100 am and 100
Just set the bait yesterday and set up a cellular camera. One’s coming in little before 1100 am
8/27/23 @ 10:19 AM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
Looks like a sow growling back at a boar
Not liking having sows with cubs when I’ll be on the ground 
8/27/23 @ 10:16 AM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
The big one looks like a shooter
8/27/23 @ 10:14 AM
Flipdibbler
User since 3/22/22
We’re getting hundreds of pictures. Surprised about all the daytime pictures. Looks like they’re arguing over the bait in some pictures 
8/26/23 @ 5:15 PM
Skihog
Skihog
User since 4/7/22
Skin and fat off immediately! Quarter cooler and take it tothe.processer the next day...done! Hide and fat off makes a huge difference.

8/25/23 @ 4:09 AM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06
Better do your research because there are not many meat markets that process bear any more. I know last year the only one by us only would take just so many because they were swamped. We always have a couple coolers full of ice and stuff the bear full, dump ice all over him and wrap it in a tarp, especially if shot in the evening. Some people don't realize how fast a bear will spoil. If it doesn't get cooled off it will spoil by morning. Most taxidermist will not skin it out anymore either. They are not that hard to skin out and cut up. Actually once you skin it out, cut all the fat off, bone it out, you end up with maybe about 1/3 of it's dressed out weight in meat. Very very expensive meat by the time you figure in the cost of bait, gas, processing and everything else.  Better off to go buy beef, because bear tastes like greasy beef anyway!! 
Now that the wolves now going after bears because deer are all gone, we won't have to worry about shooting many bear except around town in a few years anyway. Talking to a few hound hunters , they are saying more wolves on the cameras than bear in many areas and  less bears every year, especially by us in Forest County. 
Displaying 31 to 45 of 2,919 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE