SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Winnebago Perch Limit

9/21/23 @ 5:04 PM
INITIAL POST
fishicot
User since 4/16/18

Sorry if this has been brought up before.  When launching and coming in today I spoke with several people who had limits of perch and indicated that the bite is on meaning they have been fishing multiple days.  Who needs a 100 perch?  Maybe the limit should be dropped to 15 daily instead of 25.

Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
10/13/23 @ 7:54 PM
hotbait
PRO MEMBER User since 5/16/16
OFD, I remember. 100 then 50 then 20. Why can Erie handle pressure and survive? Bring that science to Winnebago. I remember when Bago had size and numbers of perch. 70s and early 80s. Did clear water hurt? I would love to see big numbers of perch again. I hope for the best. Just some thoughts.
10/13/23 @ 6:17 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
Interesting comment on Winni & your probably right hotbait but give me a minute to “opine”.  We started fishing Winni way back in the 80’s both open & hard water. Obviously the size & sheer numbers of Perch is what attracted us. Not sure but I believe each person could bring back 200 Perch back then. Over the years the limit was lowered to I believe 20 per day, 40 possession.  After lowering the limits we noticed the size went to chit.  Anyways the last time up our resort owners stated that since lowering limit the Perch became stunted due to an over abundance of fish.  Interesting the difference in thought process.  Who is right, heck I don’t know.  The sheer size of Winni does make it hard to believe it could get fished out, but who am I.  Thoughts?
10/13/23 @ 5:26 PM
hotbait
PRO MEMBER User since 5/16/16
Many thought Winnibigosh in Minnesota could handle the harvest. It was proved wrong.I'm sure the DNR is using the history of Winny and science to make the choices. The size of the lake stays the same. Each year the number of fisherpeople increases. Remember, guides take 3-4 people out twice a day. 5-7 times a week. They know right where the fish are for each trip. It all adds up. Just my thought. Not right or wrong.
10/13/23 @ 2:54 PM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18
I absolutely hate that bag limits are created with violators in mind. But total harvest (and mortality) is total harvest so when it's possible to guesstimate the illegal take,I guess it should be considered.

However,with those species where population is more a factor of a year class's success rather than fishermen harvest,we shouldn't reducing bag limits simply to appease those who say "Ya'all shouldn't be fishing simply for the meat. Not in this day and age"...I believe that to be shortsighted.

Nobody "needs" 25 perch. Nobody "needs" 15,or 10 or 5. Why not let the ecosystem do it's thing without us always having to "take" from it.

In "this day and age"...when fishing becomes a harvest-less sport completely,there will be no justification for it. We're simply torturing sentient beings for our own amusement. With a few year's pr and social media campaign followed by a popular "democratic" vote...Who knows?

If the system can handle the harvest then why not allow it?

If the system cannot handle the harvest then reduce it.

10/12/23 @ 11:13 AM
wtw_fisherman
User since 8/12/09
There is a possession limit of 2 daily limits on all fish. Over the years i notice that people who live on the lake often over harvest in all ways, Do not have to go back to launch were DNR might be. Have approached reefs in spring slowly to see whats going on and noticed guys watching me intently with a hand on a bucket in the boat until I passed. And have seen meet on shore and hand off buckets to someone on shore. It is just greed. 
10/9/23 @ 7:42 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
Lots of local yokals get their limits only to return later the same day and take another when the fishing is hot.  
10/9/23 @ 3:52 PM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18
I have heard nearby boats complaining about "people from Milwaukee" on the reefs at 'Bago...Milwaukee Madison and "the cities" on the Mississippi or in Vilas...primarily about them keeping limits. I have heard it from people I personally knew on the Rock justifying themselves keeping "a couple fish" every trip ("but I never freeze fish")...but some guy keeping 5 walleyes every couple weeks is a meathog. (yes,I know that's dated.)

I've even seen guys double-tripping while simultaneously complaining that restrictive bag limits were the fault of "people from Milwaukee and Madison" keeping fish....Perch on the Mississippi.

I avoid fishing in groups in large part because of the animosity from locals towards others. I'm from SE WI therefore I'm "from Milwaukee". It's not about "poundage" for me (madlabs) but absolutely a component of my fishing enjoyment is about eating fish...Or at least the possibility of a few meals. Not "one" meal. Otherwise,carp pull harder,sheepshead can offer nonstop action or - if it's JUST about the meat - catfish on the grill are a favorite.

And yes,I feel tempted to complain about "people from Milwaukee" driving the 20 miles and keeping a limit of cats while I generally only keep one or two of the smallest ones I catch. Instead,I get away from the easy places to fish and catch fish like it was 30 years ago...on the Mississippi I just don't join the crowds even if it means catching fewer fish...on 'Bago it means I just don't go...And at Vilas (yes,it's been 3 fish forever) it's the new popularity of camping that means a spur-of-the-moment to my favorite lake is unlikely. The fishing is a bigger part of the experience there than where "combat fishing" is the norm.
10/9/23 @ 11:59 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
Not saying some won't travel for low fish limits. I am saying I've never seen keeping limits low voiced as a rationale for discouraging "non residents" from fishing a body of water.
Perhaps the creator put white bass on the planet for those that need lots of fish flesh to travel. 
10/9/23 @ 11:06 AM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Mad.  You say the right words but imo you are in the minority. I myself won’t travel long distances for 1 walleye or 5 panfish.   This also cuts down on the amount of $ local businesses take in.  I’m also talking about larger bodies of water not your smaller lakes of about 300 acres or less.
10/9/23 @ 7:53 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
I'd agree with Wisco that folks living near a particular body of water are more likely to voice a desire for reduced bag limits in some cases. After all, they are the ones  who likely spend more time on the lake and have a better feel for the ebb and flow of fish populations.
That being said, I have never heard anyone promote additional restrictions for the express purpose of keeping "travelers" away from "their" lake. But, if folks won't travel to Bago or other waters because they can't get enough poundage in their meat wagon, that's OK with me. It's past time for people to justify their trip time and expense based upon how many fish they take home in their cooler. 
10/7/23 @ 7:30 PM
fishicot
User since 4/16/18
Good points everyone.  It takes me about 1 hour to get to Winnebago so I am not local.
10/6/23 @ 2:56 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Excellent post WIS AR.      My thoughts too.
10/5/23 @ 4:51 PM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18
People who suggest large reductions in bag limits for "destination lakes" (in this case 40%) are very often folks who live nearby. They can fish that waterbody after work,or in the morning on weekends before it gets crowded. They keep "enough for a meal" knowing that later on the week,or next week they can again keep enough for a meal. They brag that they "never freeze fish" - meaning they never harvest more than can be consumed within a few days.

Folks who must drive an hour or three simply stop coming - which is often the veiled reason for the proposals in the first place. "Non-locals" no longer harvest fish from "their" lake.

I used to come to 'Bago 2-4 times each summer to troll for walleyes but it's too far to drive for 3 fish. I know others who don' go any more either...My harvest AT THE MOST was 20 fish from that lake per year. I know for a fact that some of the folks screaming for reduced bag limits were taking that amount -  or more - every month,year in and year out...But they resented seeing a boatload of guys from Milwaukee come up and leave with 5 fish apiece. I'll admit,it looks pretty bad when you throw those limits all in the same cooler...But if they only do it once or thrice per season they have far less impact than the locals who never freeze fish.

White bass and perch...it's been shown over and over again that the main factor governing abundance is year class recruitment (what were conditions like during the spawn 3 years ago?) ,not harvest....Yet every time the cycles are either high or low,the call goes out to reduce bag limits.
9/23/23 @ 9:25 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
Go to the spring meeting and propose your thoughts.  Complaing here won't help, and besides, if people are following the rules, you got no argument.   
9/23/23 @ 1:55 PM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01
Once spring comes and people start showing pictures of crappies it will be same, need to cut limit. The regulations are working what they are right now.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE