Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Deceitful Gander Outdoors!!!

5/4/18 @ 2:54 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Red Eagle
User since 12/17/16

So I just got back from walking through the new Gander Outdoors in Sheboygan. Seems pretty similar to the old Gander Mountain store, nothing out of the ordinary.

Now when it was Gander Mountain I always found them to be shady with their marketing. For instance they would have a stack of hunting knives with a sign that said "Buck Outdoor Knives. $14.99" Then the whole display was $29.99 Buck knives EXCEPT for the bottom row which was $14.99. There was also many other deceitful issues Gander Mountain had that I won't get into here as well as other mismarked prices on products.

So when I walked in I seen tshirts on the left. Looked at them and the big sign says $14.99 above them. All shirts had a $14.99 sticker on them. However some had a $11.25 sticker. Lady says $14.99. I said "Sticker here says $11.25" And I brought the other shirts to show her there were more like that. She calls the manager and says "Ok, we will give it to him for $11.25". 

Now for the fun part. They had Daiwa Revros reels that said on the sticker and NOTHING ELSE. "34.99" Reg Price 39.99". And that was it. White and black. No club member logo or even club member verbiage. So the price rings up $39.99. Manager gets called again as I mentioned the sticker price. I walk over there with him and he says "That's the member price". "Do you wanna be a member?" I said "Where does it say member discount on that sticker?" He said "You have to be a member". I said "IT DOES NOT SAY THAT ON THAT STICKER OR WITHIN 30 FEET ANYWHERE WHERE THE REELS ARE". He says "I'm sorry you feel that way" In which I replied. "I'm sorry to see that Gander Outdoors has not learned anything from their deceitful practices when they were Gander Mountain. And in 2-3 years history will repeat itself and you folks will be looking for new jobs again". I then walked out and bought nothing.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 32 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
12/29/18 @ 9:12 AM
prop-buster
prop-buster
User since 6/14/05

I will say Wisco.....hook-and-bullet store caught me flatfooted...HA !

it seems they didn't change much...that was always the first thing one had to do was check your receipt before you left the store, especially a sale item....they aren't the only ones tho.

12/28/18 @ 9:18 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

I don't see myself ever stepping into another gander more that fleet farm opened in delevan

12/28/18 @ 7:43 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Was driving thru appleton for work and stopped at the gander.  Appears not everything is discounted.  Lots of inventory there and much of it will be transferred to another store.  All their clothes are 30% off, also footwear and ice fishing stuff. 

Just bought some merino socks there.  Ive found better prices even compared with the 30% off so my savings were modest at best.

I first went to fleet farm since they advertised Fox River socks at 20% off and fox river makes some quality socks.  Apparently FF doesnt carry quality socks from fox river, very poor selection there at FF and this was the first day of the sale so its not like everything was picked over already.

12/28/18 @ 7:07 PM
shadling1
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
If your talking cabelas, bass pro, gander etc., no local store is fine with me. Nothing there for the most part that cant be purchased online at the same price or cheaper, including shipping. Now if your talking a Blain's or a Mills store probably not. I buy too much crap at those places that are more of hassle to get online or that I need "right now", dog food, bird seed, outboard oil, to name a few. If I find myself needing a fishing or shooting item and I have to go to an actual store to buy it, I look at it as that's my fault for not ordering early enough. Usually going to an actual store is punishment enough that I dont forget again.

12/28/18 @ 6:46 PM
wiscoarborist
User since 11/6/18

What would ya'all  rather have - a local hook-and-bullet store where you have to look at your receipt and count your change?

Or no local store.

12/28/18 @ 6:02 PM
Treeshark
User since 4/5/09

Wow, I had not heard that. They just opened up this spring, I actually liked the new one. Sad to see it go, I got a smoking deal on Katadyn filter carriages last time I was in there (like 50pct off). 

12/28/18 @ 5:09 PM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

Appleton store closing. Was told yesterday that if you have something to return or exchange better get it done. I am sure this time Gander in Appleton will be gone for good. Not much difference to me however.

5/22/18 @ 6:33 PM
ttreebark
ttreebark
User since 7/6/06

I received their grand opening coupon flyer. It had $8 dollars of gallon of Quick Silver 2 stroke oils to make it $27. That's the every day price at the two Farm stores. 

5/20/18 @ 11:03 AM
fish212
User since 11/12/15

It just blows my mind ,they  almost got me with a few musky bucktails marked down from 19.99 to 11.99 , no membership or club sign in site, the manager just apologized and asked if I wanted to join. Is it possible the old gander in Sheboygan was better and this one might last a year..7 days until Shore lunch in Ontario...no worries..

5/18/18 @ 4:00 PM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04

As sports authority dropped areas for more clothes (bankrupt) gander mountain also did (bankrupt) and Dicks is also (eventually bankrupt?). I remember I used to go to Dicks in appleton for fishing stuff. Now those have far less stuff. Gander will do it again im sure. Matter of time. 

Most of the people that go to those stores dont want to buy a $50 tshirt when all we want are fishing baits. Id rather go buy $5 camo shirts from walmart im not afraid to get dirty. Thats why dunhams is going well. They offer nike and under armor but still have bottom of the line stuff for us cheapskates going in to buy a box of ammo.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 32 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.