Lake-Link Home
LOGIN
Lake-Link

Wisconsin Bear Hunting

3/24/08 @ 8:41 PM
ORIGNAL POST
BearHillSportsman
User since 12/27/07
i got a tag this year for bear hunting and i amm looking for some advice. i am wondering wear i should bait on my land. the last 2 years i have had a friend and a family member hunt the same stand and both have seen bear and got them on the trail camera at the same stand. my dad thinks that i should hunt on the other side of the land which is across a fairly messy swamp. do bears really travel that far and through that much just to get food. any advice is greatly appreciated. thanks. notice the screen name. that is literally the spot that the bear have been seen and that is not a joke. the spot is called bearhill and that is the name of the road we r closest to.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,563 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
8/22/19 @ 9:06 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11

These two came in last night. The one that came in later is a little bigger and has been at the bait more times. Really would like a crack at him but can't pass on the other one. Still 12 days to go so things could change. The biggest one on the 3 baits has been a no show for 6 days. The last one has a nice V on his chest. He is on the bait with the big one so maybe he'll be back  to play bully

8/21/19 @ 6:09 PM
clark co chris
clark co chris
User since 4/5/09

Two weeks until go time.  Getting daily hits here from multiple bear, though it seems like two of the "regulars" from this summer are finding better food elsewhere as of the last few days.  Berries are ripe, (very green) acorns are dropping, etc.

As we get closer to the opener, does anybody change anything about their baiting practices, or do you strive to do the exact same thing at the same time?  I have heard several different people do different things.  Such as......

Changing the bait up a bit so they have something different to look forward to.   

Baiting daily the last week, but putting less bait out, hoping to start a competition among the bear to be the first bear there.....therefore, the one that gets the bait.  

Adding more carbs and placing less "sweets" in the bait, with the thought that as winter gets closer, bear are looking for food that will help them pack on the most weight.

What's your plan???

8/21/19 @ 11:04 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

Big Mac-

I guess without having a cub I would have no idea what it is. Here are a couple more pictures. The brown in the first picture was just the lighting that day.

8/20/19 @ 10:25 PM
big mac
MEMBER since 2/19/02

Saronafish

Be careful! That might be a young sow!

Almost has a brown color on the back. 

Big Mac 

8/20/19 @ 8:21 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11

Saronafish,that is a very nice looking bear. Very stocky and just nice look to him. Can't guess a weight but sure would be more than 42'' I would think.

8/20/19 @ 4:07 PM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05

I haven't went full blown baiting yet. Just putting about 2 gallons out every 3-4 days right now. So I just cover the bait with all the logs to make sure I stay legal. So with that said I haven't cut any 42" logs yet to help me estimate size. I also plan on adding a stump to help with that. Since money is tight and bait isnt cheap way up here in the far NW corner of the state I am still holding off a bit till I start to bait daily.

Anyway this guy shows up within 30 hours of when I bait right now. Without much to size him up with do the experts on here think he makes the 42" mark? Its my first bear tag so I'm just looking to learn.

8/19/19 @ 7:11 PM
gbwilber
User since 8/19/19

Thanks missedagain

8/19/19 @ 6:32 PM
missedagain
User since 6/1/14

gbwilber Geiss in Merrill does an excellent job. Skin, cut, and if you want sausage. 

8/19/19 @ 6:31 PM
griff n
griff n
User since 6/17/11

All 3 baits had at least one nice one hit the bait around 7:30 yesterday. Always very dark by closing because of the leaves but closing for me on Sept 4 th is 7:44. Sure hope they keep coming for a couple more weeks. Last 2 years they shut off a week or so before opening

8/19/19 @ 5:35 PM
gbwilber
User since 8/19/19

Does anyone know where I can get a bear processed around the rhinelander area?  I have finally drawn a tag and would like to know where to take the bear if I get one.

Thanks

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 2,563 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.