Lake-Link
CORONAVIRUS STATEMENT FROM LAKE-LINK

Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 5:41 PM
ORIGNAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 189 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS
5/22/20 @ 9:28 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Something really cool happened this week.  I got a hold of Paul A. Smith of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and I interviewed him as we tried to catch shovelnose sturgeon.  I haven't finished editing that video yet, but here's the video where I interviewed Paul.  Very nice guy who definitely has a passion for making sure the people in Wisconsin have access to outdoor opportunities.

5/10/20 @ 12:08 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

What makes these videos so fun is that Tiefsa is just a normal guy like most of us. Maybe not an expert at fishing...but smart enough to know what he's doing and humble enough to admit when it's not working or he needs help. 

Plus, all of us have some sort of exploration hunger in us, and videos like this help us live that out a bit. Plus, love the humor and the descriptions etc...

5/7/20 @ 8:28 AM
bluegrouse
bluegrouse
User since 7/11/05

Nice catch, we're all rooting for you!!!!

5/6/20 @ 7:27 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

You Da Man!, man!!!!!!! 2 ta go!!!!! We’re routing for ya!!!! 

5/5/20 @ 9:05 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

WAY TO GO TIEFSA!!!

5/5/20 @ 5:50 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks for all the nice comments!  I got another one, and the resource that bluegrouse shared is super handy to ID suckers. Thanks, man!  #48. Two to go!!!

4/23/20 @ 4:23 PM
Bassassin311
Bassassin311
User since 2/11/20

Awesome idea!! I'm located in Waukesha County and also have a YouTube channel.(don't worry I won't link-bomb your post) PM me sometime, and we can do some collaboration and share some favorite spots!!! I can help you out with bowfin and gar...and maybe musky.

4/23/20 @ 11:39 AM
bluegrouse
bluegrouse
User since 7/11/05

Hey Tiefsa,

Thanks for all the great videos, everybody at my work follows you and we look forward to your posts. Just a little heads up, we all think your last fish was not a silver redhorse but most likely a shorthead.  If I attached the pics correctly ( I am not computer savvy) the pic with the convex dorsal fin is a silver and the pic with the colored fins and the concave dorsal fin is the shorthead.  Also I couldn't see vey well from the video but the lips of your fish were posterior to a more rounded snout where as the silver would have lips touching  a more squared off snout.  Hope this helps and keep the great posts coming!!!

For future help with redhorse Id check out this web page, it has helped me on many occasions. http://moxostoma.com/redhorse-id-downloads/ 

4/22/20 @ 8:46 AM
SnakeSter
SnakeSter
MEMBER since 7/9/12

Congrats Teifsa!!!! Hardwork is what it takes and you’re doing it with style!!! Great, Great, Work!!!!! You might be having a little fun on top of it! Great job Buddy!!!

4/21/20 @ 10:26 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Thanks for sharing these Tiefsa! In times like these...any fun entertainment is well appreciated. From one school teacher to another!

DISPLAYING 1 TO 10 OF 189 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.