MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 5:41 PM
INITIAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 201 posts
4/21/20 @ 10:26 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Thanks for sharing these Tiefsa! In times like these...any fun entertainment is well appreciated. From one school teacher to another!

4/21/20 @ 9:43 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

I didn’t see any hornyhead chub or red belly dace or red sided dace.  Trout stream I grew up on had all sorts of baitfish in it.  Multiple species of chubs, shiners, dace.  The river has lots of different species.  We used it to our advantage as kids.. easy to catch, cut up with a sharp rock, then use the cut bait for trout and bullheads.. 

4/21/20 @ 9:11 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Way to go Tiefsa! I'm sure a bunch of us old timers like me ponder, "I wonder how many species I've caught in the last thousand years "?

4/21/20 @ 6:11 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

NEW SPECIES ALERT!  I'm up to 47!  This was a fun adventure.  A lot of fish caught on the search for a silver redhorse sucker.  

4/10/20 @ 8:48 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Any tips for trying to catch Cisco/Lake Herring/Tullibee?  Rumor has it they are in Pine Lake, a lake really close to my house.  I just got my boat out of storage and I'm going to try to catch some.  The information on them is pretty sparse as far as how to target them (I've read a Roughfish.com article - watched videos of people catching them in the summer in deeper water)

4/8/20 @ 1:20 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

That's awesome, Crawdaddy!  I'll have to try that in the fall.

4/8/20 @ 12:35 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

In late September/ early October, the shad move into the fox in Depere and in Oshkosh by Rainbow. I’ve caught them on small hook and piece of worm.  They were 10-11”, much bigger than I expected.  I then pulled out my filet knife and cut strips of meat 1/2” wide and 3-4” long.  Best white bass bait ever...

4/4/20 @ 11:45 AM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I was able to get to the Oak Creek Power Plant before it was shut down.  I had a gizzard shad on for a second or two (small jig & wax worm) but they were really hard to target.  I couldn't sight fish for them because the water was really cloudy.  I didn't get the momentary hookup with the shad on video either.  Still made a video of my failure.  In a week or two, I'm going to try again near there because I'm going to take my boat out.  Here's the video if you're interested (most of the time spent in this video was taking ugly statues to my in laws) 

3/19/20 @ 12:25 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I've caught shad up to 9 inches on tiny ice jigs with a small waxie or spike on the hook

3/19/20 @ 11:05 AM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I visited the Oak Creek Power Plant Pier this morning just to check it out for a little bit.  Right next to the discharge, there were a lot of fish, which I think were whitefish, but I couldn't really tell.  They might have been shad.  If they are shad, that's a fish I haven't caught yet.  How do you target them?  I've caught alewives on a sabiki rig before.  Do you think that would work.  Maybe very tiny ice fishing jigs and a wax worm or spike?  Are those good ideas?

2/13/20 @ 12:12 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Lol... acquiring gear is just a part of the sport and spiffy marketing!

Taking the kids, which you've done, pays off in spades... and if they love it,  a bonus to you and the sport...

Good luck,  enjoy 

2/12/20 @ 4:36 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Don't tell my wife about all the gear I've bought! Ha!  She's reluctantly let me gear up so long as I include the kids with some of my trips.  It really has been a family adventure! I might be going after Cisco soon if I can get this stupid old fish finder to work that I bought on Craigslist for 50 bucks.

2/12/20 @ 9:25 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

congrats on the grass pickerel ! ...been interesting to watch the accumulation of fishing gear since you started this quest

2/11/20 @ 6:51 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Four left!  This is species 46 - Grass Pickerel - Through the ice in Rockland Lake in Burlington, WI 

2/8/20 @ 11:20 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Fantastic Tiefsa!! Only (3) left, correct?

Displaying 46 to 60 of 201 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE