MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 5:41 PM
INITIAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 201 posts
12/11/19 @ 10:47 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Failed again trying for burbot down in Milwaukee.  This time I used cut bait (smelt) to no avail.

11/17/19 @ 1:39 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I was told cutbait (whitefish or cisco) was good for burbot. Anyone know where I can find some?  I tried to catch some burbot this weekend and failed.

11/15/19 @ 9:26 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks Bluegrouse for the id chart, and One Shot One Kill, I'm up to 44.  I'm heading out tomorrow morning for a chance at 45.  I don't really think I have a good shot at it (burbot in MKE) but I'm heading down that way anyway tomorrow morning, so I'll be fishing by the lighthouse for a few hours in the morning.  

11/15/19 @ 8:34 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Tiefsa

I have been following your journey a bit . Whats the count number at  ?

Thanks 

11/12/19 @ 11:52 AM
bluegrouse
bluegrouse
User since 7/11/05

Tiefsa,

Thanks for the vid, I attached a pic of a very good redhorse ID chart hope it helps.   You can also google redhorse id and view the pics on your phone.  Your fish had no color in the tail and had a concave dorsal fin but I could not see the lips, so my guess is:  Golden redhorse.  A good rule of thumb is no color in the tai then color in the name and vice versa.  Good luck and keep the post coming.
11/10/19 @ 9:41 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Tried to catch a greater redhorse in the Milwaukee River.

9/23/19 @ 7:31 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Wasn't that kid great, though!  I guess now I have to try above the dam!

9/22/19 @ 8:46 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

that was a cool story/video... the kid was awesome, so genuine! ...I appreciated your concern for his safety and that you included him in. Probably a memory for him for life... cool beans!

9/21/19 @ 7:18 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Not a new species, but a big surprise catch for me.  I caught my first king salmon from shore.  I was fishing for smallmouth bass in the Milwaukee River by the dam in Grafton and hooked into a nice king salmon.  I thought I snagged a carp (it felt way too big to be a smallmouth), but then I got it in and saw I caught a nice King!

I'm looking to try for shovelnose sturgeon or smallmouth buffalo maybe next weekend in the Wisconsin River.  

9/9/19 @ 9:00 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Was hoping to catch a Shovelnose Sturgeon, but I ended up catching my largest sturgeon ever and my second ever Flathead Catfish.  A good day even if there were no new species caught

8/18/19 @ 7:18 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks for the tips on Warmouth SnakeSter and Mr.Bass1984.  I'll see if I can get back out there with leeches.  There might be some riprap by the end of Phantom Lake near the mouth of the lower Mukwonago River.  

I caught another new species for me!  Gar!  I was super excited about this one.  Here's the video.  

8/14/19 @ 11:00 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

I always seem to catch warmouth around riprap shorelines.  They'll eat just about anything.

8/13/19 @ 7:37 AM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Tried for 44, the stupid Warmouth, and didn't catch it.  Still had a good morning out on Phantom Lake with my son, though.

8/7/19 @ 9:09 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks JayBeeTurtleAnd, I got one, a Yellow Bass that is on Lac La Belle.  I bought a boat (used, but it has a fish finder which helped a lot), and I took it out to Oconomowoc with my oldest son.  That's 43.  Seven to go!!!

I think I'm going to head over to the Wisconsin River next and try for shovel nose sturgeon.  I have the stuff to catch gar, too.  I'm not going to bring my boat though.  The Lower Wisconsin looks sketchy for boats.  Or maybe I'll take my boat to Green Lake and try for Cisco.  One or the other is my next mission.  Any tips for targeting Cisco in Green Lake in the summer?  I bought some blade lures to try and get deeper in the water.

8/7/19 @ 9:02 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

By far the easiest fish to get would be a yellow bass on Labelle.  I catch em everytime there

Displaying 76 to 90 of 201 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE