MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 5:41 PM
INITIAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 201 posts
11/11/20 @ 5:28 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Here's my latest attempt at a muskie... I caught fish, but not species # 50

10/27/20 @ 7:06 AM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

n.pike - I've been trying!  I suck!  I didn't make any videos of the trips I've had.  I went to Pewaukee Lake a couple of times and struck out.  Wisconsin River twice.  Struck out.  I have a call out to a few people I know and I might go with them in November.  I do have a video made and saved on my account where I try for muskie, but I haven't released it yet.  

I'm a teacher and I'm worried about getting COVID so I have three videos saved in case I get it or have to quarantine.  That way I can still release videos on Tuesday for a while even if I'm stuck at home.  The likelyhood of me getting it sure seems high.  Already 5 teachers at my school have got it (we have about 40 teachers in my building).  YIKES.

10/25/20 @ 9:45 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Are you still going for Fifty Tiefsa? I seem to recall you being at 49, then trying for musky and then kind of making videos without the focus on 50? Totally cool either way. Just curious.
8/6/20 @ 9:29 AM
Elliott Jacobson
Elliott Jacobson
User since 1/25/17

If you fish Northwest Wisconsin, the rivers hold five species of red horse sucker. 

https://youtu.be/1hLDM5MX1e0

8/6/20 @ 9:28 AM
chaw
chaw
PRO MEMBER User since 9/11/02

Tiefsa I’ll be headed north for awhile but will be back down in late August. If it hasn’t happened by then I would be happy to try and put you and your son on a fish. I’m not a guide but I do fish the waters you are targeting fairly often. In the meantime you have mail and good luck! 

8/3/20 @ 4:52 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16
Thinking of fishing Pewaukee Lake for muskies with my little guy this week.  Any tips?
7/26/20 @ 11:41 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Love how you involve the kids in your videos. That's great! Too many times I see guys fishing a lot, while their kids stay at home. Good to enjoy the hobby together! They will always remember the times!

7/16/20 @ 7:33 AM
GOT
GOT'EM FIRST
User since 6/9/05

Dave, check your messages...

7/15/20 @ 7:21 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

When it comes to Musky, I've never actually caught one the few times I specifically went Musky fishing on purpose.  But I've caught a bunch by accident fishing for other species.  My recommendation- go bass fishing on a body of water that has Musky and use a white skirted spinnerbait. That's the way I usually get them

7/15/20 @ 3:00 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Still trying.  I did make an amendment to my species list because of this fishing trip.

6/15/20 @ 2:20 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Still trying.  No success yet.

6/5/20 @ 4:05 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks ifishwi for posting the article.  Also, thanks everyone for the continued tips and advice.  Someone here told me about the fish finder website for Wisconsinites.  I made a video about it and then caught a nice Brook Trout.  Check out this link - https://cida.usgs.gov/wdnr_fishmap/map/ - and also check out the video if you need an explanation on how the website works.

6/4/20 @ 10:49 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Thanks  ifish ! 

6/4/20 @ 9:15 PM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

Thanks ifishwi... nice article 

6/4/20 @ 7:04 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Would love to see the article! I am unable to access it though, looks like you need a subscription to the journal.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 201 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE