MORE
Wisconsin Fishing Discussion

Quest to catch 50 different fish species in Wisconsin

11/18/16 @ 5:41 PM
INITIAL POST
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I'm turning 40 tomorrow.  I figure, I'm not going to get better at anything athletically, but I still want to have some goals in life.  I like fishing, but I don't get out there as much as I'd like.  To motivate myself and to keep it interesting, I decided to set a goal of catching 50 different species of fish here in my home state of Wisconsin.  And to add to the difficulty, I have to catch each as I'm filming it.  I'm going to post each video to this thread, and I'm also going to need help as I go.  Any tips on how to catch different species of fish would be greatly appreciated.  Here's the first fish I caught on video, the Bigmouth Buffalo by the Hustisford Dam.

Displaying 30 to 44 of 201 posts
6/4/20 @ 7:04 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Would love to see the article! I am unable to access it though, looks like you need a subscription to the journal.

6/4/20 @ 8:39 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

Good Luck on your Muskie and reaching your 50 fish goal. Enjoyed the article in the Milw. Journal on Sunday.. I saw that even N.PIKE got his name/quote in the article so LL was well represented..  

6/2/20 @ 8:40 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Any tips or places I should visit are greatly appreciated.  

5/31/20 @ 1:54 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

TIEf.    You deserve your 15 minutes of fame!   CARPIO 

5/31/20 @ 12:13 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

We’re in the paper!

5/29/20 @ 2:14 AM
go2fish
User since 9/19/10

Awesome! I don't press the right buttons or hit the "like", but i been watchin and enjoyin since about fish #9. I went back and watched the rest. This one is fantastic - the river, scenery, love that part of the state. Did you see any eagles? Going back there soon. Campground folks friendly and accommodating? Good luck with the musky, oughta be a hoot! Keep on keepin on - U CAN DO IT

5/27/20 @ 11:31 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I really hope you get number 50...but on the other hand, the thought of your quest being over makes me a bit sad. It's been fun sharing this adventure and I don't want it to end!!!

5/26/20 @ 3:12 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

I thought I posted this, but apparently not... I caught species 49!  It was a shovelnose sturgeon, and I caught it while fishing with a writer from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel!  Here's the video link. One to go!  I've got to buy a few things and then I'm going after the muskellunge!

5/25/20 @ 2:41 PM
Fish-Tails
Fish-Tails
User since 5/4/20

Great goal and theme to continue working at!  Reminds of 39 hours but more involved.  Have you caught a largemouth yet?  I know where you might find some if you have not yet!

5/22/20 @ 9:28 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Something really cool happened this week.  I got a hold of Paul A. Smith of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, and I interviewed him as we tried to catch shovelnose sturgeon.  I haven't finished editing that video yet, but here's the video where I interviewed Paul.  Very nice guy who definitely has a passion for making sure the people in Wisconsin have access to outdoor opportunities.

5/10/20 @ 12:08 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

What makes these videos so fun is that Tiefsa is just a normal guy like most of us. Maybe not an expert at fishing...but smart enough to know what he's doing and humble enough to admit when it's not working or he needs help. 

Plus, all of us have some sort of exploration hunger in us, and videos like this help us live that out a bit. Plus, love the humor and the descriptions etc...

5/7/20 @ 8:28 AM
bluegrouse
bluegrouse
User since 7/11/05

Nice catch, we're all rooting for you!!!!

5/5/20 @ 9:05 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

WAY TO GO TIEFSA!!!

5/5/20 @ 5:50 PM
Tiefsa
Tiefsa
User since 10/25/16

Thanks for all the nice comments!  I got another one, and the resource that bluegrouse shared is super handy to ID suckers. Thanks, man!  #48. Two to go!!!

4/23/20 @ 4:23 PM
Bassassin311
Bassassin311
User since 2/11/20

Awesome idea!! I'm located in Waukesha County and also have a YouTube channel.(don't worry I won't link-bomb your post) PM me sometime, and we can do some collaboration and share some favorite spots!!! I can help you out with bowfin and gar...and maybe musky.

Displaying 30 to 44 of 201 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE