SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

Worst...winter...ever

2/9/23 @ 9:09 AM
INITIAL POST
tzeilstra
User since 8/4/08
I think with the rainstorm this morning, we can safely say this has been the worst ice season ever. I mean really...it's brutally warm for all of December, gets cold for Christmas for 4 days, then gets brutally warm again for a solid month. Then gets cold again for 3 days, now it will be warm again for the rest of winter. Awful. Need to put this season out of my head ASAP!
Displaying 61 to 75 of 181 posts
1/31/24 @ 10:28 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
The pike fishing this winter has been ridiculous! 
I am very thankful. Just one of those years. 
3 today over 30! Took me years up here to catch a 30.
The big ones are just very active for whatever reason.
The ice access is so user friendly. I do feel bad for the businesses and people who like to sled. But for ice fishing, this is a dream! And I truly think the lack of deep ice is keeping the fish more active! 
1/31/24 @ 5:40 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Do you cut out the bloodline on the backside? It's a pretty thick bloodline and tastes like garbage. Once you cut that out it should be a purely white fillet. Always bleed them out as soon as you catch them and stick them upside down in a pile of snow. Then we soak them in salt water overnight, I do that with all my fish. I've head of people soaking overnight in club soda. Deep fried there's no way to tell the difference between walleye and whitefish if prepped properly. Baked they take on more of a cod texture and taste.
1/31/24 @ 5:31 PM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06
Just a question about whitefish out of the bay and their mucky taste. Do you guys soak them or anything? For us they are fun to catch but they aren't much for eating. Tried smoking,  baking but just can't get by their mucky taste. I know a few other guys that have gone with guides, caught a pile of them and eventually threw the whole works in the garbage because of the taste,  maybe I am to used to eating fish out of clean water.
1/31/24 @ 10:42 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
LOL!
I have all the ice gear that I need, I was just wondering about inventory.  About the only thing I may get new is a new set of lighter weight bibs for cold open water fishing.

I appreciate the post about whitefish in GB....I'm just not interested in going out south of Sturgeon Bay for a shallow water bite.
1/30/24 @ 9:18 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Dewey has a great selection, prices
1/30/24 @ 8:48 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Vegas,  check Dewey Catchem in Minocqua, online sale on now.
1/30/24 @ 8:33 PM
crobar
User since 6/19/01
tzeilstra   same  thoughts as  you i've been  diehard iceangler  since I was a kid...this past Sunday was my 1st time out  SE Wis, and probably my last... cuz of this goofy weather .last year only 4 times out.....kinda loosing my enthusiasm for it which is sad.
1/30/24 @ 6:47 PM
JimiJigs
JimiJigs
PRO MEMBER User since 1/15/20
Vegas, the Whitefish are thick in shallow water a little further south of where you probably go. I know guys that have been limiting most outings for a few weeks now. My buddy dropped off 10 for my smoker Saturday. 
Worst...winter...ever photo by JimiJigs
Worst...winter...ever photo by JimiJigs
1/30/24 @ 4:58 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07
Places will heavily discount their ice fishing equipment/gear/tackle starting in a week or two I'd imagine. They want to unload inventory so they don't have to store it since storing it costs $ in the form of taking up space, so better to sell cheaper than just have it sit there and maybe not even sell next year, too
1/30/24 @ 1:00 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
Vegas, Scheels is steeply discounting ice augers. Saved a couple hundred bucks. My 30 old jiffy has served me well! You would think with large inventory sale prices would start coming out on other gear. I see flip over shanty prices are dipping too.
1/30/24 @ 12:53 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Since 2023, there's been about a 30 deg increase in January average temps in the entire state, how's that for scary?   

1/30/24 @ 10:43 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
Since 1970, the average winter temperature charted monthly has increased by 7.4 degrees in Central Wisconsin.  The average increase is linear and scary for such a short duration of time. Numerous changes noticed in the outdoors for those who pay attention. 
1/30/24 @ 9:50 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
I got into ice fishing about 5-6 years ago.  I fell in love with whitefishing Door County.
This will be the second year I don't get to fish them where I want.  (out deep)

I was at Fleet Farm the other day and they have serious ice fishing inventory.  Shacks, rods, lures, augers, electronics....etc.  Anyone know if they will simply store the inventory or if there are going to be some pretty crazy sales coming up in the next few weeks?

Heck, I remember some years you couldn't find ice gear this time of the year.
1/30/24 @ 9:20 AM
tzeilstra
User since 8/4/08
Ice fishing is my passion and my absolute favorite thing to do. That's why it kills me that I have to even entertain the thought of giving it up for my own sanity, but it's something I'm strongly considering after these past couple of years and the strong possibility that things only get worse from here. 
1/29/24 @ 7:45 PM
Down’N’Verty13
User since 4/4/20
dude its unreal!!!!! i finally got enough ice to put my spearing shack out last monday just to have to take it off today!!!!!! yay one week spearing season  
Displaying 61 to 75 of 181 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE