MORE
Ice Fishing

Are you done for the season?

3/9/14 @ 4:30 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I am not. Still hoping to catch some nice fish this year through the ice. Conditions right now are brutal with all the snow, slush, and ice up north. I am taking a few weeks off. But, with the temps falling after this warm up and all that ice still left, I'm expecting to have a few trips left this year yet. Hopefully the snow doesn't melt suddenly and eat that ice away, but there is just so much ice left, I'd have to think we have quite a bit of time yet, at least up north and probably most of the state. Nothing better than catching fish in 50 degree weather on top of 20 inches of ice! Are you done? Ready for open water? Or, still planning on catching some fish through the ice?
Displaying 31 to 45 of 110 posts
3/19/20 @ 12:18 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Definitely done here in SE WI. Most lakes open water and ones with ice are super dangerous.  Took the kayak out to check one of my fave ice out spots. No fish shallow yet. Water temps need to get 5 degrees warmer

3/17/20 @ 5:06 AM
LIL MAN
User since 5/20/08

I need to be able to take the SxS out cause of health problem and I never trusted the ice this year so I never got started.

3/16/20 @ 8:47 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Sawyer county lakes are still solid as well, had 20" on 4 different lakes ranging from 100-800 acres. One lake opening up a bit along the shorelines but otherwise no issues. Cold weather this week should prolong the season another week. Fishing was great as well, love this time of year. 

3/15/20 @ 11:43 PM
Bull Gill
User since 2/7/02

was done  3/3/20 live less than a 1/2 mile into il,, we can boat here now if their is ice it has sunk am just off the water can see the lake from my deck...........ice was mostly frozen slush went quick here..........

3/15/20 @ 10:15 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Ice was in great shape today. Quite a few people out at various lakes too.

No slush. Easy to get around. Everything really solid. Had about 18 inches. Yes, it's in layers, and who knows how long it will last, but it does look like we've gotten a bit of an extension to our season these next 10 days or so.

Fishing was decent. Barometer started around 30.70. That's huge. Dropped steadily through the day. 

3/15/20 @ 12:23 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

I was usually looking forward to ice fishing in March.  I would even take my spring break vacation in Minocqua.  Now?  I would like to make a trip up there, but I am more likely to just do my end of season maintenance and put stuff away.  One of these years I am going to go north for the perch bite at dawn, then down to south central WI and chase gills with fly rod on the same day.  Fun daily double action.

3/14/20 @ 10:28 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Heading out tomorrow in Vilas Co. Will report how ice is. 

My job duties are up in the air for a few weeks here...so might be able to get on the ice a number of times before ice out. Been really cold the past few days, giving us a bit of an extension to the season. Once it warms up, the ice will go pretty fast. 

3/12/20 @ 2:08 PM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

They'll just move north to Sand Bay until that breaks off too. 

3/12/20 @ 1:34 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I am, and I'm pretty sure these guys are now too

https://fox11online.com/news/local/rescue-efforts-ongoing-as-ice-breaks-off-in-bay

3/11/20 @ 11:16 AM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03

I've been pretty much done this whole winter. Most years I get out 2-3 times a week. This year only went out twice. Just didn't get into it this year. I'm ready for open water!

3/11/20 @ 12:06 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

SE WI getting pretty dangerous.  We never had much ice down here, lots of lakes only had 8 inches of ice at most. Now its 8 inch of black, waterlogged ice which is not quite as safe as 2.5 inch early season black ice

3/9/20 @ 10:22 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

No way! Some of the best is yet to come! We still have very fishable ice up here and the forecast looks decent to hold on for a while yet at least. Very little sunshine. Don't see any major rain. And, highs are in the 30s and low to mid 40s, with lows often from 17-25 degrees.  Hoping to fish through March, but it won't be as long as usual. Usually mid to late April up here!

3/9/20 @ 8:14 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I was done with the slush fest up north but now it firmed up. I was up two weekends ago and the lake was like a salt flat. Easy walking. I burned some carbon outta the sled ripping about. Anywho, the crappies were cooperative and I hope to be back up at least one more weekend to set out a bunch of tip downs and enjoy the warm weather with fam and beer.

3/9/20 @ 7:51 PM
beachcomber II
User since 12/7/13

was out on bago thur fri sat. sunday put all my stuff away charged all batteries and disconnected. and vacuumed wood shavings from spikes and waxies out of back seat of truck. season was too short but good.

3/9/20 @ 12:35 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Madison area is done for the year.  We never got more than about a foot of ice this year. Where I fished on Saturday there was still 8 inches of ice but the north shore was not accessible, south shoreline still had some snow on it.  Top four inches of ice cut thru even without pushing the button on my drill, then under that was the 8 inches of "good" ice. Any old holes from almost all season opened right up just by stepping on them, so I had to watch where I was going!  Last year March 26th was my last day on the ice in Madison, this year March 7th, almost 3 weeks earlier!  We had 3 first ice seasons this year - One in November (the earliest I've EVER ice fished!), one in December I thought for sure would last, then AGAIN in January!

I doubt I'll have any time to head north, but I'm sure they still have a few weeks left.  There's only one season I can remember when the ice was out before the first of April in Vilas County - 2012.  That year we hit 80 degrees on St. Patrick's Day!

Displaying 31 to 45 of 110 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE