MORE
Ice Fishing

Are you done for the season?

3/9/14 @ 4:30 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
I am not. Still hoping to catch some nice fish this year through the ice. Conditions right now are brutal with all the snow, slush, and ice up north. I am taking a few weeks off. But, with the temps falling after this warm up and all that ice still left, I'm expecting to have a few trips left this year yet. Hopefully the snow doesn't melt suddenly and eat that ice away, but there is just so much ice left, I'd have to think we have quite a bit of time yet, at least up north and probably most of the state. Nothing better than catching fish in 50 degree weather on top of 20 inches of ice! Are you done? Ready for open water? Or, still planning on catching some fish through the ice?
Displaying 16 to 30 of 110 posts
4/4/20 @ 7:48 AM
clueless
User since 10/24/04

I hope to get out again. Yesterday I was on a Vilas county lake and had a solid 13". Shore was getting bad. Caught a decent amount of crappie and missed as many as I landed. 50's and sun til midweek might put an end my season.

4/3/20 @ 11:16 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I think I'm done! What a year. Started on November 10th! Ended on April 3rd. 

Took a long period off in Jan/Feb for youth sports. Lots of great memories and fishing trips. And, Ifish and Waltereye, today was not a good day. LOL. They were not biting. I thought it would be great before the rain/snow came in. Nope. 

Ice was 15 inches, but very easy to drill through. Something definitely changed in the past couple of days in Vilas. This is the time it can go very fast. Be safe out there if you still get out. Might have a couple of days yet if you know what you are doing and are on the right lake. 

4/1/20 @ 1:12 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Sounds like you had quite the season! I think you can be satisfied with getting out 42 times. Glad you had a chance And sounds like you found some good new water. That’s what it’s all about.

4/1/20 @ 7:31 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Mentally I'm not quite ready to give it up, but my body says otherwise. Didn't even have the drive to get out last weekend so I think I'm calling it quits. It was a heck of a grind this year. 

Had the opportunity to fish a total of 16 new lakes between WI and MN, 42 days on the ice, 2000+ holes dug, too many hours to keep track of, weekly fish fries and a whole lot of memories. Biggest crappie 14.5", biggest gill 9.75", biggest perch 13.25". No PBs but a great overall season of good numbers and found some new high quality lakes that I look forward to trying out this spring.

Time to catch up on house projects, till next year! Tight lines fellas. 

3/31/20 @ 11:06 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I am not the only one still ice fishing....just seems that way. Anyways, quite a few guys on Big Arb today. I got out to my spring spot in Vilas Co. and the ice was great today! 18 inches. Where I used to live in Southern Wi, that would be a LOT of ice. Ice was in really good shape today. The layers that I thought would make it deteriorate quickly this year have held up so far. I did notice the shorelines getting soft on the north side. Next week will be real bad for the ice, but still some time left before things get rotten... Every lake is different. Some are still in good shape! Can't speak for others....Fishing was good again. Love this time of year!

3/27/20 @ 11:26 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Got out again today. Beautiful day. 18 inches of ice on the lake I was at. Ice still was relatively strong. Have a little time yet to still ice fish in Vilas County... Fishing wasn't as good as Tuesday, but still got some nice fish and it was a great mental activity right now. 

3/25/20 @ 6:45 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Was on a west-central WI lake with a small current through it yesterday. Had 3" of frozen slush, 2" of water and then 6" of good ice. Gave you a little scare when you would break through that top layer occasionally. Hard to find a spot to walk on, probably my last time out in this area. 

3/24/20 @ 11:09 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

got out today and found 21 inches of ice. Really good fishing. Still have some time to take a mental health break from all this and get out ice fishing! 

3/24/20 @ 3:44 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Looks like I am now.

3/23/20 @ 7:43 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Was able to get the ATV out on 2/3 lakes this weekend, north shore access points ice is starting to separate from the shorelines. Sad to see! Should be fine for walking on for awhile but I think the ATV saw it's last weekend on the ice.

Rough fishing overall, 7 degree AM temp made it feel more like mid-season than late ice and the fish seemed in about the same mood. 

3/22/20 @ 10:58 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Bugle-Sorry to see your season end this way. It sure stinks! That's for sure!

Seen a few trucks on a lake today. Still some season left....

3/22/20 @ 8:40 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Kinda hoped to come up north to our place this weekend for one last horrah on the ice for some crappie action. Folks and local leaders seem apprehensive about us coming up so we might decide to stay clear. So I guess I’m done. Sucks but I don’t want to be that guy who wipes out a community. 

3/22/20 @ 12:29 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Looks like the season is going to continue for a while yet. Was out today. Fantastic conditions and still 17.5 inches of ice. Solid too. I know it'll go quick once it's ready, but we still have some time yet. Oh yeah, great bite as well. Fish were hungry!

Still not done!!!

3/20/20 @ 11:15 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11

Was stomping through old holes with 3" of ice on them in the Eau Claire area last night. Rain turned some shoreline ice dark but no open water and basin was still solid. Mid 40s-50s all next week with sunshine and it'll go fast but for now it's surviving the rain. Hoping Hayward area got less rain than we did in EC. 

Fishing was unfortunately not worth the torture of fishing in a downpour lol

3/19/20 @ 11:22 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Rain wasn't as bad as they predicted in Vilas Co today and the temps were cool. So, basically, a 34 degree day with light rain much of the day. Turned to snow around 6:00. Could have been worse. Cold rain doesn't seem to affect ice much. For example, we had an inch of ice on our road coming in yesterday, and there still looks to be an inch as of tonight. Nothing really changed. 

So, a little more ice season yet! Gotta get out while we can. 

Displaying 16 to 30 of 110 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE