General Discussion

Favorite Bourbons?

5/18/18 @ 8:36 AM
INITIAL POST
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03

Updated...

What I'd buy again....  Eagle Rare.  Blantons.  Old Forrester Prohibition Style.  Very Old Barton 86 proof.  Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.  Elijah Craig Toasted.  Knob Creek Single Barrel.  Knob Creek 12 Year.  Knob Creek Single Barrel Peanut Brittle.  Col EH Taylor Small batch and especially Single Barrel.  McKenna 10 Year.  Michters 10 Year.  Woodford Reserve Oaked.  Weller Antique.  Clover 10 Year.  Pappy Van Winkle.  12 Point Drop Tine.  Calumet Farms 12 Year Black.

Sit the fence on....  New Riff Single Barrel.  Michters.  Jefferson's Ocean (depends on Voyage).  Angel's Envy.  Willet Pot Still Reserve.  Knob Creek.  Noah's Mill.  Stagg Jr (price).  Garrison Brothers Barrel Proof.  Remus Reserve.

Would not buy again....  Buffalo Trace.  Elijah Craig.  Driftless Glen.  Parker Hayes.  Old Granddad 114.  Weller Special Reserve (cost).  Burning Chair.  Garrison Brothers Balmorhea (cost).  Makers Mark.  Makers Mark Cask Strength.  Calumet Farms that is not 12 Year Black.

What I need to try....  Old Forrester (everything but Prohibition).   Non-Oaked Woodford Reserve.  Dickel.  4 Roses (all of them).

Easy to find, easy on the wallet.  Knob Creek Single Barrel.  Very Old Barton 86 proof.  Woodford Reserve Double Oaked.  12 Point Droptine.

Displaying 81 to 95 of 3,178 posts
9/18/23 @ 9:49 PM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
Skihog, so glad someone else thinks Makers Mark sucs.. I’ve had too many people serve it to me and act like it’s the cat’s ass
Try Knob Creek Maple, that’s a great inexpensive one I actually can drink neat.
9/18/23 @ 1:30 PM
Deertroller
Deertroller
User since 4/30/15
Hard pass on Early Times BIB-  not sure that one could be fixed with a whole can of Coke...
9/13/23 @ 8:24 PM
Bodhi77
Bodhi77
User since 1/9/21
Red I'll pretty much agree with what Skihog said. There are alot of good lower priced bourbons on the shelf. Try a bunch and see what your palate likes. His suggestions of Elijah Craig & Knob Creek were spot on, I'd add Wild Turkey 101, Russels Reserve 10, and Evan Williams Bottled in Bond to low price options to try. All are always on the shelf and cheap enough to use for mixers if you really don't like them.
9/13/23 @ 6:53 PM
Skihog
Skihog
User since 4/7/22
Red, BT is addiquit at best, it's all about you..my tongue is different then yours....for me, off the shelf and easy to find? Elijah Craig, knob Creek and few others can be better....start the journey...buy a few a try them...makers mark and a few others imo suck...but...its your taste and no one else's...have fun and cheers!
9/13/23 @ 6:20 PM
Red Rider
User since 6/26/01
Question for the experts. What is equivilent or a little better than Buffalo Trace. My wife recently had some and liked it. Went back to ​local store and shelfs empty.  Thanks.

8/22/23 @ 2:01 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
I saw it at Costco in July.  Big display in the front of the store.  But that was down around Milwaukee.  I want to say it was around $90 for a bottle.
8/22/23 @ 1:20 PM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
Never seen anything but original A/E Vegas. Will look at Woodmans next time
8/22/23 @ 12:42 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Funny you mention that one.  Yes it was mentioned in the "good" category.  I think it was in the top 15.  It wasn't near the top, and I believe it was ranked just below McKenna 10 year and Knob Creek 12 years.  Obviously far below Eagle Rare and Wild Turkey Kentucky Sprit Single Barrel.

I didn't like that one when I first tried it many years ago.  I've had some recently, and it was just fine.  I'd label it as a good drinker.  It's easy to find, good for the taste but just a little pricey for what you get.  But since most of the really good stuff is going allocated, I'd have no issue buying that bottle again to open right away and enjoy.

You ever try the Angel's Envy Single Barrel?  I had my hands on that bottle a few times and just couldn't pull the trigger.  Probably should have.
8/21/23 @ 7:41 PM
glimmertwin
User since 1/18/11
Vegas, just wondering if “Angels Envy” was included. IMHO smoothest sipping whiskey out there. One of the few I honestly enjoy neat, and not really too expensive.
8/21/23 @ 7:37 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13
It also prefaced the ranking with "if you can find it now".  It's a shame.  That bottle used to be easy to find and around $35.  I'm happy I have my supply.  It's been about a year since I've seen it in the wild around

Yep Vegas, this is the real shame about bourbon.  Remember stopping by my local Pig Store for regular groceries in 2019 and 3 bottles of ER were on the shelf ($30-$35). Things were just starting to get crazy. Dummy me just bought 2 bottles and kept one there for someone else. You gave us a tip on the Heaven Hill 7yr/BIB a month or so ago. Local store had 7-8 bottles and I ended up buying 4 over two days.. Really like this bottle and have finished off two of them. Had the same thought that I should not be greedy and keep the rest for other folks. Now I am second guessing that decision. Oh well, still like to give other folks a chance but of course that is a rare occurrence these days.  Planning another trip to KY next spring and will definitely spend more time on this trip and hit more places    
8/21/23 @ 3:42 PM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
I read an article this weekend.  Some guy sampled like 20-30 bourbons "under $100" to find the smoothest pour.  Hoping it took him a few days to do so.  And he did it "blind".
Here is what I remember.  Knob Creek 12 year was in the top 8 or so.  McKenna 10 year was top 6 or so and described as an ideal pour for someone who wants the true bourbon taste/feel.  #2 was Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit Single Barrel.  It was described as 1a or 1b.  Only reason it wasn't 1a was because of the higher proof and slight hug at the end of the pour.  #1 was Eagle Rare.  Chosen because of the lower proof and how smooth it is with a sweeter profile.

It also prefaced the ranking with "if you can find it now".  It's a shame.  That bottle used to be easy to find and around $35.  I'm happy I have my supply.  It's been about a year since I've seen it in the wild around MSRP. 
8/20/23 @ 7:48 PM
Skihog
Skihog
User since 4/7/22
Snapped a bottle of eagle rare open tonight.. 2019 vintage....alot of banana and sweetness....absolutely delish!! 
8/4/23 @ 9:11 AM
antler junkie
User since 8/17/05
Today on Discover Wisconsin they are touring 4 different Bourbon distilleries around Wisconsin. I watched it this past Saturday so this is a replay. ( 10:30 am on Ballys sports network )
7/31/23 @ 8:51 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
Finally....found a Stagg in the wild for $70.  Didn't have to spent thousands of dollars on other bottles that I didn't want in order to get it, either.  Just a well timed stop and conversation.
Also...picked up a Dickel 15 year single barrel for about $52.  Great drinker.  Little bit of something for everyone in that bottle.  Good proof, though it isn't hot.  Great sweet up front, then a touch of sour, then a sweeter finish.

Favorite Bourbons? photo by vegas492
7/17/23 @ 8:26 AM
vegas492
vegas492
User since 5/21/03
I finally got around to opening up another bottle of 1792 Sweet Wheat.
First pours were good, and one can really tell that it is a wheated bourbon.  Very distinct taste at the end of the sip.
I dare say, I didn't care much for the first pour.  Second pour was over ice, about an hour later and it was much better.

I'll probably let this one breath for a few weeks before I hit it again.

Also, found another MSRP bottle of Elijah Craig Toasted and Elijah Craig Barrel Proof.

Still trying to figure out the best way to display all these bottles.  I may have to call in help and build something from scratch.  Course, the man I'll call will be paid in bourbon.

Happy sipping!
Displaying 81 to 95 of 3,178 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE