MORE
Canadian Reports/Discussion

lac des mille lacs LDML

1/5/10 @ 5:47 PM
INITIAL POST
Planocat
Planocat
User since 6/12/06
OK, so I think I have this figured out. Any posts that are not pure fishing reports have to be posted on this forum in order to keep from being dusted. Fair enough, I guess. So, in the future we need to check here until the season opens and we can start to post/receive actual reports.

Basically it means there will be nothing on the other location for stretches of 7 months or more. But at least we can keep in touch here.

Now how do we get that word out? I'll try posting it at the other site and hope it doesn't get dusted.

Planocat Big Smile

Displaying 1 to 15 of 1,955 posts
7/22/24 @ 12:27 PM
TRCHawkeyes
TRCHawkeyes
User since 7/1/22
Had a great time at Lac Des Mille Lac July 14-21.  Caught lots of fish, yellow spinner color worked best for us.  My Dad caught his biggest fish ever this year, 27" Walleye, and 38" Northern.  Brought home out limits.  Caught lots of Walleye, Northern, Perch, and Small Mouth Bass.  Thousand Lakes Resort treated us well.  Also had to rent a boat for a day because of boat issues, from Open Bay Lodge, they were amazing to work with as well.
lac des mille lacs LDML photo by TRCHawkeyes
7/11/24 @ 7:03 AM
TRCHawkeyes
TRCHawkeyes
User since 7/1/22
ALShiner,

We mostly troll as well.  Thanks for all the information.  Will post some pictures and updates once we get back.  Looks like it will be in the high 60's and 70's next week.

7/10/24 @ 3:39 PM
ALshiner
User since 3/26/10
Hawkeye.  Awesome-hope you have a great trip and wish you luck.  I will say...it seems like we were a bit of an outlier on trolling vs. jigging.  Most other boats we saw were jigging the deeper water, pulling bottom bouncers, etc.  We tried that, some, and I'm sure we would have caught fish if we kept at it.  However, with the 8 & 10 year olds, we struggled to get them catching fish in the wind, managing lines, etc.  So we found what works (and was easy) and stuck with it.  Good to know you can catch nice fish in a variety of ways. 

Post a report and some pics when you get back.  
7/10/24 @ 8:37 AM
TRCHawkeyes
TRCHawkeyes
User since 7/1/22
ALShiner,
Thanks for the update.  We are heading up next week.  We love fishing around Owl Island.  Glad to know that the Mayflies have hatched.  We are staying at Thousand Lakes Resort.  Scott and Carol are great hosts!
7/8/24 @ 2:59 PM
ALshiner
User since 3/26/10
our family was up a LDML lodge last week fishing 6/29 to 7/5. It was our first time up to the lake and the first time staying at Lac Des Mille Lacs Lodge.  It was our family of 4 including 8 & 10 year old kids.  The lodge was great and I loved the cabins. Very clean and in great shape.  The owners (Riley and Rob) are super friendly and welcoming, too.  Would highly recommend this lodge to anyone thinking about a CAN fishing trip. 

Fishing wise, we did very well and brough home our limits of walleye.  The size classes in this lake are really good...i think we only caught 2 walleyes under the 13 minimum.  Most were 16 or 17 inches.  We had our best success for walleyes trolling the east side of Owl Island using lindy rigs.  Gold, hammered gold, and pink were most successful.  didn't seem to matter if we used minnows or worms. I know lots of folks were jigging and they seemed stacked up by the owl narrows, but with the kids trolling seemed to ​be better for us. 

Mayflies had hatched in some parts of the lake but didn't seem to slow us down. 

All in all a great trip and I hope to go back next year. 
7/8/24 @ 7:31 AM
TRCHawkeyes
TRCHawkeyes
User since 7/1/22
Have the Mayfly's hatched yet?
6/24/24 @ 4:42 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
In 1959 my future BIL and I spent 5 consecutive weeks fishing BOLTON BAY.  Super walley and pike but not 1 smallie!  Really odd unless they were planted at a later date.  We never got into any really big fish though. The biggest pike were around 15# and I doubt if we even caught 1 walleye over 22”.    We really didn’t know what we were doing though, basically throwing JOHNSON SILVER MINNOWS for pike and trolling with Flatfish for walleyes, fishing for both in 2-10’ of water.    Good times though, both of us 18 YO studs.    Lol
6/24/24 @ 8:28 AM
TRCHawkeyes
TRCHawkeyes
User since 7/1/22
Ducer,

Thanks for the update.  Glad the fish are biting!
6/22/24 @ 12:33 PM
ducer
User since 5/22/07
Hawkeye- the water level is normal or maybe even a bit high compared to other years. Lots of rain. We have a friend that is driving home as we speak. That has just been up there for a week at LDM Lodge and play crush them. That was his first time ever going up there. They had good luck by Long point, I owl Island. And pretty much every other place they went. He said sometimes it would slow down, but then it would just quickly pick up again.
6/20/24 @ 11:31 AM
TRCHawkeyes
TRCHawkeyes
User since 7/1/22
I have been going to LDML Lake for over 45 years, we have never made it to Bolton Bay.  We have used lindy rigs tipped with minnows and worms for walleye.  We have used Chubs and crank baits for Northern Pike.  We have caught jumbo perch with the lindy rigs tipped with minnows and  worms.  One of my favorite spots is Owl Island!  Hope you are doing well.  Love any updates with the fishing and water level.  We are heading up July 14-21, probably my Dad's last time, so a little sad.
6/14/24 @ 11:20 AM
TRCHawkeyes
TRCHawkeyes
User since 7/1/22
How is the water level?  Is it normal, high or low?
6/10/24 @ 9:33 PM
ronb65
User since 1/2/21
Did Seine river resort ever reopen?

6/10/24 @ 8:02 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17
Anyone ever make it back into Bolton Bay?  There’s a portage that will take you into KASHABOWI LAKE.
6/9/24 @ 9:41 PM
ALshiner
User since 3/26/10
We’re heading up to lac des mille lodge over the July 4th week.  I’ve never been there before and am very excited to give it a try.  Any suggestions on colors, baits, lures, etc?  Anything to get us pointed in the right direction.
Looks like the last group had a blast.  

Can’t wait!
6/7/24 @ 3:32 PM
TRCHawkeyes
TRCHawkeyes
User since 7/1/22
Ducer,
Thanks for the additional information.  Too bad about all the wind.
Todd
Displaying 1 to 15 of 1,955 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE