MORE
Upland/Small Game

Coyote Hunting

11/29/09 @ 6:37 PM
INITIAL POST
Team ZA
Team ZA
User since 8/19/09
If there is anyone who hunts coyotes maybe you could help me out. I hunt some land near golden lake and I know that there is a pack of yotes on the public land north of me, but I never see them on the land I hunt. So just wondering, how far will a coyote travel if I try calling for them? and what is the best time to hunt for them?

Displaying 16 to 30 of 336 posts
2/15/23 @ 3:26 PM
Rattle em up
User since 4/19/21

Love those doubles. Had two come through and missed the one standing out about 120 yards and knocked down the other one running @ 80 yards. Its been a fun winter with the yotes. Supply in my areas has been diminished.

2/14/23 @ 9:12 PM
fjw
User since 9/22/11

Another double shot last week.6 minutes on stand, was a fun stand.

Coyote Hunting photo by fjw
1/21/23 @ 10:02 AM
Rattle em up
User since 4/19/21

I agree the 22 LR doesn't have the power overall to make a quick kill. I have dispatched a lot of coyotes while trapping and have been using a 17 cal HMR, it does a good job with usually one shot (I know its all about placement) but still a little light if you want that knock down power at 100 yards out. Like GF said, 223 or equivalent would be best choice.

I know some guys that drive yotes and use buckshot, would be nice to have with on them closer shots.

1/20/23 @ 1:16 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Buckshot will work, your effective range is probably around 40 yards give or take on your gun.  A single pellet would kill a yote well beyond that if it connected but your chance of putting a quick end to it drops rapidly past 40.   Hound guys will use them, if your calling usually one guy with shotgun/buck shot and one with 22 centerfire rifle.  If I use buckshot I prefer 4 buck.

I have killed them with a 22 rifle, not recommended unless you have a close standing head shot.  Best option is a .223/5.56 or any 22 centerfire which I prefer to easily cover most field & fence line giving you a chance before they are on to you.  06 will work just fine if that is all you have, yes its over kill see if you can find some 150 gr loads that shoot good.  A lot of years I used a .257Rbts with a 75gr varmit pill that worked nicely.  I just like the quick follow up with the MSR 5.56 platform.

My best luck is with snares.

good luck.

1/20/23 @ 11:06 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

I've read about guys using 00 buckshot for yotes. How far out is that lethal to? My only other option is my 30/06 which is a tad overpowered. If I did use that, what's the best round to use? 

1/12/23 @ 10:58 AM
Rattle em up
User since 4/19/21

Now that deer hunting is over in my area been setting up cables near bait sets. Have gotten two already. Pretty thick this year. Will expand my cables out further in the next week and then start hunting them. Shot one during archery and saw another with mange but could not get a shot on him.

11/2/22 @ 5:18 PM
fjw
User since 9/22/11

Season is off to a good start.  3 coyotes in the last few weeks,  with the beans and corn coming off its been really good. Should have 6 but that's how it goes. 

12/15/21 @ 9:45 PM
fjw
User since 9/22/11

Glad I don't live close to there! I probably end up with some fines. Couldn't resist pulling the trigger on all them yotes you boys are seeing.  

12/15/21 @ 8:13 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Figures, albeit pretty neat seeing them out there running all over.

12/14/21 @ 5:32 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Jzzzz.....that area is closed from hunting. It's a waterfowl cripple bonanza for the Coyotes and Eagles.

12/14/21 @ 12:31 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

HOLY COW! idk if its legal  but I've been watching that pool 7 webcam on the Mississippi

for a couple months now, and when its been iced over there are coyotes all over out there running around all day, you see 2 or 3 at a time, its weird. easy pickins if you could get out there. 

11/29/21 @ 6:12 PM
lawdog616
lawdog616
PRO MEMBER User since 1/20/04

Took a ride today, saw plenty of sign.  Might be able to get out later this week.  Need to pick up a half beef either Wednesday or Thursday maybe do some calling on Friday. 

11/24/21 @ 9:15 AM
fjw
User since 9/22/11

Iv been out alot before the deer season. Been doing well.

11/24/21 @ 9:07 AM
lawdog616
lawdog616
PRO MEMBER User since 1/20/04

Things seem a little slow on many of these sites.  Looking to start yote hunting as soon as the rifle deer season ends.

Let us hear your stories.

1/22/19 @ 9:06 PM
getinout
User since 12/22/09

They can travel a long ways if they hear your call.  Best luck I have is in the afternoon.  Bitter cold with snow helps them want to take advantage of an easy meal prospect.  The are hard to call, very weary.  I average calling one in about every 10 set ups.  Dedication and persistance is what it takes to be successful hunting yotes.  Good luck!

Displaying 16 to 30 of 336 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE