MORE
Upland/Small Game

Coyote Hunting

11/29/09 @ 6:37 PM
INITIAL POST
Team ZA
Team ZA
User since 8/19/09
If there is anyone who hunts coyotes maybe you could help me out. I hunt some land near golden lake and I know that there is a pack of yotes on the public land north of me, but I never see them on the land I hunt. So just wondering, how far will a coyote travel if I try calling for them? and what is the best time to hunt for them?

Displaying 76 to 90 of 336 posts
12/1/14 @ 8:40 PM
DoorTayOutdoors
User since 3/7/07
This gun hunt 4 of us saw coyotes each time we were out. Some of us saw coyotes chasing deer. Thinking of going muzzle loader hunting saturday and will bring some traps. I shot one that was running and it howled quite a bit after i shot. There was a lot of blood at first and then it decreased i thought it was dead but it just was still in thick cover then slowly walked in the marsh. Water was over my boots. I heard a shot from our neighbors land and that one howled loudly too
11/10/14 @ 7:32 PM
esox and shoes
esox and shoes
User since 7/9/12
Looking for someone to take my son and I yote hunting. Trying to get a couple for a mount I want done. I'll even buy lunch. Email me at [email protected] Or look me up on Facebook. Krueger's Taxidermy Shop. Thanks Live in Muskego area.
11/8/14 @ 12:32 PM
lawdog616
lawdog616
PRO MEMBER User since 1/20/04
Was on my way to the store today and saw a deer run across the road, right behind it was another deer and it was flying. I slowed down in case there was more coming and a big coyote came up and ran parallel to the road and then crossed behind me in hot pursuit of the deer. I never saw another coyote. I guess I never heard of a single coyote trying to take down a deer, but I guess it makes sense if they are hungry.
9/2/14 @ 6:06 AM
Wieland Outdoors
Wieland Outdoors
User since 3/27/10
I live about 15 minutes north of there and guide many clients in the area. In a very general sense, figure a range of about 6 square miles. I trap a few farms down there as well and that has been the pattern for about the last 15 years. The have been called to many times as the popularity of predator hunting has increased so much. Do your scouting, a little howling at night to figure out their pattern. I would target the early morning as my primary set. Ecspecially the first 20 minutes of decent light for identifying your target and shooting. Aslo, be prepared for 20 to 400 yrd shots. These educated dogs will often step into a field and just sit down and bark at ya. Good Luck
3/28/14 @ 4:18 PM
DoorTayOutdoors
User since 3/7/07
Can you hunt them around late morning I'd like to go, but won't be there till 9 or 10 am?
3/26/14 @ 8:22 PM
lawdog616
lawdog616
PRO MEMBER User since 1/20/04
Yotes up hear have been unable to stay on top of the snow most of the winter so they have not been moving much. Now they are moving pretty easy and the deer are running for their lives. Had a yote about 30 yards from the house two nights ago, but it would not move up the ravine. This is going to be a bad spring for the deer. May be a good one for yote hunters.
3/18/14 @ 9:01 PM
Dave1234
User since 9/8/09
Had one sneak in on me Friday night. Came in when a cloud was hiding the moon. By the time saw I him he had busted me and was gone before I could a shot. The lack of snow hurt seeing them at nigh. This will be the first time in 5 years that I have not got one in winter. The guys that run hounds got 3 this year. It appears the 9 we shot last year put a dent in the population. Less on the trail camera and more deer seen running around. Good luck if u are still going out! Dave
3/9/14 @ 6:41 AM
Nailzz
User since 8/4/12
I think the deer ate all the coyotes,haven't seen one yet this year
2/5/14 @ 12:26 PM
Tuffdaddy
User since 4/13/05
They can move quite a bit. You can hunt them day or night, but we typically go in the morning or mid afternoon. As far as calls, try a few and see what works. They can get conditioned if they hear the same things, so don't be afraid to change throughout the stand. Right now, distress calls have been working for us, but howls can be good, especially heading into mating season. Make sure not to over call your area. If you call it too often, they'll get a bit leary. Good luck!
2/4/14 @ 9:53 PM
eyeguy17
eyeguy17
User since 1/24/12
Im going to give yote hunting a shot this year, a few questions from you experienced fellas, I have LOTS of coyote tracks in my picked cornfield that butts up to a big hardwoods with ridges and valleys, it seems that they are new tracks every day/night, how far will they travel from their dens? Iv been told mornings are about the best time to be out? I have a fox pro, and a vibrating tail, howls durring breeding? season or do I stick to the dying rabbit...any input would be great....id even consider having someone with some good experience come hunt with me, (green lake county) thanks again
1/25/14 @ 11:19 AM
Tuffdaddy
User since 4/13/05
Should have put one down last weekend. Partner missed at 60 yards. Hopefully connect tomorrow.
1/24/14 @ 7:14 PM
Lickey
Lickey
User since 8/29/12
I have been going out as well on weekends and the constant wind isn't helping either. This is my first year hitting it hard so I'm sure I just keep effing things up and other outside factors have less to do with my lack of kills. Hoping to get out this weekend. -Lickey
1/24/14 @ 6:23 PM
DLAMA2
DLAMA2
User since 5/1/05
It has been a tough year for us.I think the high rabbit population does not help along with that they do not want to leave the woods. Bought a scope light for night hunting,see how that goes with calling.
1/24/14 @ 7:45 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02
very quiet here anybody been out for yotes at all this winter?? been very cold at night but hearing packs up north most nights.
12/25/13 @ 9:31 PM
WisconsinHunter/Fisher
WisconsinHunter/Fisher
User since 10/9/12
Hey just wondering what would do more damage to the pelt a 22-250 or a 223 because I have a couple of friends that want some pelts and im between buying the savage arms axis xp 22-250 or the savage arms axis xp 223.
Displaying 76 to 90 of 336 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE