SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Pickled Eggs

10/17/14 @ 4:54 PM
INITIAL POST
Bazinga
User since 8/22/10
Does anyone have a really good pickled egg recipe? We have 12 laying hens that are producing way more than we can eat. We made some with a recipe off the internet and they suck! Looking for a good tried and true recipe.
Displaying 76 to 90 of 110 posts
2/24/17 @ 8:23 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Don't rush it.  I posted a while ago that the eggs should soak a minimum of 2 weeks.  I tried one at exactly 2 weeks and it was OK.  I then waited another week and they were much, much better.  At a month, they are awesome.

I think you can safely pull them out of the frig at 2 weeks and store at room temp.  That was the whole point of pickling eggs back in the day.  Shelf stable at room temp.  I can't begin to estimate the number of pickled eggs that I ate at Chet's Friendly Bar in Point when I was in college and those were just on the shelf behind the bar.  And I'm still here!  The pickling would probably go faster at room temp.  I just have room in the beverage frig in the garage so that's where mine are.

2/23/17 @ 7:39 PM
zeplure
zeplure
PRO MEMBER User since 2/11/02

I am 6 days in and it is really hard not to dig in and have one. May need to form some kind of premature egg eating (PEE) support group.

2/21/17 @ 7:12 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I made two quarts about a month ago.  One jar is toast so I fired up another tonight.

Gotta have enough for the fishing opener with the hunting crew!

2/10/17 @ 8:59 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02
My son and I cracked the lid on the second batch of eggs this past Wed night. I believe that was 3 weeks if I'm not mistaken. They are delicious. Not as hot as I would like yet so I'll need to ramp it up as I go here. I may try cutting back on the sugar just a little. They won't last long when my vulture buddies stop over that's for sure.
2/4/17 @ 2:58 PM
arlo
arlo
User since 9/29/02

Hopefully the last batch will last me till these are ready in 2 weeks

2/3/17 @ 2:35 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I'd try that recipe with the pickled beets.  I did a few quarts of beets last fall.

I fired up a batch of eggs with the recipe I posted a while back.  My wife laughs when she sees me taking off the cover and smelling them. Wednesday marks two weeks and then it's on!

2/3/17 @ 1:35 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06

I grew up in South Central PA and the only pickled eggs were called red beet eggs. We use vinegar, sugar, a few pickling spices, sliced onion, and sliced pickled beets. The eggs sit in the beet juice and are perfect at about 5 days. You want to have the egg whites red, and the yolk still yellow. Yum!!

If anyone wants the full recipe I would be happy to oblige in a message.

Jimmy

1/23/17 @ 8:52 AM
surf n turf
PRO MEMBER User since 1/31/07

Yes the eggs are hard boiled.Lol

1/22/17 @ 2:02 PM
arlo
arlo
User since 9/29/02

I went to Menard's of all places and found eggs for 58 cents a dozen, plus 11% refund. Bought 2 dozen for the next batch. I'm hooked on them !   Bugle-Trout your recipe rocks !!!

1/21/17 @ 11:07 AM
missippimugs
User since 9/14/16

The recipe below is great.  I just add a jar of beet juice.  Not the beets. Adds a little something.

1/21/17 @ 9:49 AM
surf n turf
PRO MEMBER User since 1/31/07

Heres a recipe. Just ate the last of them. Pretty dam gd. 1 dz eggs, 2 cups vinegar, 1 jar sliced jalopenos including the juice.( 11 ounces), 1 onion finely chopped, 1/2 cup water, 1 T- tobasco, 1 T- salt. Boil all ingredients together for 10 min. Not the eggs. Let it cool. Put 6 eggs in each qt jar. I also sliced onions and added to each jar in between eggs. Pour brine over and let them sit in fridge. At least a wk, longer is better. I also spooned the jalopenos in each jar so they had equal amounts.

1/18/17 @ 8:05 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

Put up another batch last night. Same recipe as the last with the addition of two Habanero peppers and a few sweet peppers.

1/17/17 @ 5:42 PM
arlo
arlo
User since 9/29/02

I pickled a dozen of these on New Years Eve day  Sampled my first ones this past Saturday and I am hooked on them. I am going to do 2 dozen the next time. I am thinking of adding a couple tablespoons of horseradish to the brine for a little more kick. Has anyone tried adding it to the brine?

1/17/17 @ 11:34 AM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

The entire gallon jar of eggs was consumed by our guests after the Packer victory this past Sunday. I think I need to get 2 jars going this time...

1/11/17 @ 5:46 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Yes the brine will yellow or brown over time.  That hasn't changed the flavor in batches I've made.  We've even had them around for a few months.  I forgot to mention that my mom made a batch one time with some fresh dill.  Those eggs were really good as Bloody Mary garnishes.

The guys at deer camp have gotten very creative when "dressing" the eggs.  We started with Tabasco and salt.  These days we have the culinary geniuses slicing them for crackers and topping them with smoked fish, Kim Chi, smoked oysters and horseradish.  No wonder we don't shoot any deer!

Displaying 76 to 90 of 110 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE