SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Pickled Eggs

10/17/14 @ 4:54 PM
INITIAL POST
Bazinga
User since 8/22/10
Does anyone have a really good pickled egg recipe? We have 12 laying hens that are producing way more than we can eat. We made some with a recipe off the internet and they suck! Looking for a good tried and true recipe.
Displaying 61 to 75 of 110 posts
1/30/18 @ 8:01 AM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

Thanks for everyone's help.  Have a batch in the fridge. Can't wait. On to try and pickle some fish. 

1/29/18 @ 8:16 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Yes.  I either run them through the sanitizing cycle in the dish washer or dip them in boiling water.  Is it necessary?  Probably not.  The pH of the brine probably takes care of any microbes that come along but it doesn't take much effort.  Granny probably had been helping with chores in the barn or cleaning the chicken coop once or twice before making a batch of eggs and my ma, aunt and uncles are all still with us.

1/29/18 @ 4:58 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

You guys sterilize ypur jars the same way you would for canning?

1/29/18 @ 10:54 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I scanned the downtown Point area and square on Google Maps satellite image and couldn't find The Friendly Bar.  It looks like the only two bars down there that are still in business from when I was there in the early 90's are Buffy's and The Brickhouse.  Used to love going to Buffy's.  When it was really crowded, all you had to do was stand up on one of the picnic tables and you'd get body-passed to the bar.  Good times.  But we always stopped in at Chet's for a beer and an egg with some onions and Tabasco.

1/29/18 @ 7:59 AM
badgerbass
User since 8/20/07

I think it closed, but im not 100% sure. I have to go up that way in March for a 2 day training, maybe I'll head downtown. If I remember right they were more of a sweet pickling brine compared to the usual vinegar tasting mass produced bar eggs.

That area has changed so much in the last 25 years.

1/28/18 @ 4:55 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Badger, I ate a metric crap ton of those eggs while in Point.  But it's been so long since I had one from Chet's, I don't remember if the taste was the same.  I remember my parent's visiting and we stopped into Chet's for a beer and I ordered a couple eggs.  My mom said that she had granny's recipe (same one I posted) and made some for me the next time I went home.  I don't recall thinking that they tasted drastically different but again, it's been years.

Is the Friendly Bar still in business?

1/27/18 @ 10:53 PM
badgerbass
User since 8/20/07

Made up 2 dozen today using BT's recipe and another 1/2 dozen with some extra ingredients.

BT do your eggs taste like the ones from the Friendly Bar? Are a lot of the in the late 80's!!

1/27/18 @ 8:48 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

Never had pickled eggs. Bit love pickled anything I've had. So trying surfnturf recipe. Looking forward to it

1/14/18 @ 1:42 PM
Mossy Horns
Mossy Horns
User since 6/15/01

My favorite spicy Pickled Eggs. 

Ingredients: (Makes 1 doz)

2 cups white vinegar

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon pickling spice 

3 teaspoons red pepper flakes

6-8 cloves 

1 cinnamon stick

3 sliced habanero peppers

3 sliced jalapeno peppers

1 sliced red bell pepper

1/4 of a white onion

Combine all ingredients ( I leave out the Peppers and Onions) and heat in a saucepan for about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. 

I like to layer the jar with the peppers and onions as I fill it with the eggs. Pour the brine in last. (Make sure the eggs are fully covered)

If you really want to make it potent cook all of the ingredients in the saucepan.

10/16/17 @ 7:01 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Pre-hunt jar of eggs were gone in an hour.  I have a request for 3 dozen for the gun season.  

Advantage: The deer!

9/24/17 @ 12:49 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Just did a dozen for pre-hunt, stand check weekend in the middle of October.

9/5/17 @ 7:56 PM
homewrecker
User since 8/28/03

Mine cooled while I was peeling eggs.

9/4/17 @ 10:09 PM
6arrows
User since 8/30/17

Do you pour the hot brine over the eggs or let the brine cool?

6/25/17 @ 7:35 AM
homewrecker
User since 8/28/03

Made my first batch can't wait. They will be ready for our 4th of July camping trip. Made one with the original recipe posted and added red pepper flakes and jalapeno peppers to a second jar.

3/6/17 @ 7:53 PM
dsinwi
User since 1/24/02

My last batch was "done" SB weekend. They were good. I had a couple tonight as side with my KungPow chicken and they were excellent. I'm sure they can spoil like anything else but a month is better.... 

Displaying 61 to 75 of 110 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE