MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Pickled Eggs

10/17/14 @ 4:54 PM
INITIAL POST
Fowler2
Bazinga
User since 8/22/10
Does anyone have a really good pickled egg recipe? We have 12 laying hens that are producing way more than we can eat. We made some with a recipe off the internet and they suck! Looking for a good tried and true recipe.
Displaying 46 to 60 of 110 posts
3/4/18 @ 5:41 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Sampling a 2 month old batch.  

Egg, pickled onion, black pepper, sea salt & TX Cayenne Sauce.

Mmmm. Good!

3/2/18 @ 9:38 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I only used one jalapeno in my first experimental spicy batch so I'm not expecting much heat.  I bought some cayennes and Thai chilis at the farmer's market last fall, dehydrated them and ground them into powder.  I'll add some of that in the next batch.

3/2/18 @ 9:13 AM
splitG2
splitG2
User since 10/12/07

I didn't get any heat from jalapenos so this time I added red pepper flakes and cayenne pepper. The brine has some good heat to it so We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

2/28/18 @ 8:43 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

Used 6 jalapenos for 3 dozen eggs

2/28/18 @ 6:18 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Glad you like them.  How much jalapeño did you add?  I've never added them until my last batch and I used one large pointy-tipped pepper without the seeds removed.  I hoped that it wouldn't be too much.  The pointier ones are hotter.  Didn't know that until a Hispanic coworker told me that.  Anyways, I just hit the 3 week mark on Sunday so I'm giving them another couple of weeks.  Can't wait to try them.  If they don't have much kick, I'll move on to habaneros.  The beauty of this awesome snack is that it requires more patience than money.

2/28/18 @ 4:05 PM
tiddies1981
tiddies1981
User since 1/22/15

These are delicious. They didn't take on as much heat from the peppers as I would of thought. But they are great. Brought 3 jars to work and they lasted 2 days. Even the onions are awesome. Thanks again for your help. Will continue making these. Thanks for everyone's input. Never had a pickled egg before this.  

2/27/18 @ 11:07 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Nope.  Splitting up the batch should have no effect.  If you got more spices in one jar, no worries.  I think that you extract the majority of the flavors during the boil in the water/vinegar mix.  It's probably better since the eggs are completely submerged in the brine.

2/27/18 @ 9:30 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Bugle, I showed your recipe to my brother in law and he sent me this picture the very next day. They're a week old, so the anticipation is definitely building. Going to try to give it another three weeks, but we'll see how that goes lol 

I've never done eggs myself so I can't imagine there being an issue, but splitting up the batch into two jars shouldn't affect anything, right?

2/26/18 @ 7:55 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Three weeks is a minimum as far as I'm concerned.  Give them a month or two. They get tangier with time and take on more of the spices and other stuff you put in the jar.  If you stuffed the jar with goodies like onion or jalapeño  garnish your egg with them.  A dash of Tabasco or a shake of salt is also a great topping.  Guys in our deer camp put Kim chi and smoked fish on them.

Remember, pickling anything was a preservation technique, not something taught in a Paris Culinary School.  It was a necessity done to make food go further.  Not saying it can't be a tasty treat, but don't expect Dairy Queen.

2/26/18 @ 5:41 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Broke into the eggs the other day, it'd been about three weeks.

I've never had one before this.

They seemed kind almost bland to me, with a slight vinegar taste. Didn't have much taste.

Any ideas?

2/11/18 @ 5:20 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Soaking!  See ya in 3 weeks!

2/9/18 @ 2:22 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

Well, it's been about a week.

The red onions I added are starting to turn white, I'm guessing that's a good sign!

2/7/18 @ 10:00 PM
river-rhino
User since 1/16/08

Just made a batch using bugletrouts recipe. Did one jar without adding anything, one jar with dill and garlic. Last jar with jalapeños and habanero hot sauce. Should be ready to go for our early march trip to big chetec and the flowage. Hopefully the Fishing will be as good as the eggs!

2/6/18 @ 10:37 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

Glad to hear that everyone is enjoying these.  Grandma would be thrilled.

I haven't deviated from the recipe at all in all of the years that I've been making these but am going to make a few of quarts this week with chilis and garlic.  Going to do one of each and one jar combined.  

2/3/18 @ 10:19 PM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

First try for me!

Followed BT's recipe but added a clove of garlic to each jar along with some red pepper flakes. Never really had pickled eggs.

Can't wait to try them!

Thanks BT!

Displaying 46 to 60 of 110 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE