SEARCH
MORE
Recipies & Cooking

Pickled Eggs

10/17/14 @ 4:54 PM
INITIAL POST
Bazinga
User since 8/22/10
Does anyone have a really good pickled egg recipe? We have 12 laying hens that are producing way more than we can eat. We made some with a recipe off the internet and they suck! Looking for a good tried and true recipe.
Displaying 30 to 44 of 110 posts
2/12/19 @ 10:43 AM
returnfishreturnsfish
User since 1/14/16

I smoke hard boiled eggs.  They are fantastic!  They are tough to keep lit though.  I'm going to try pickling them.

1/25/19 @ 10:29 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

My latest batch is at the 4 week point as of today. Can't wait to enjoy one with a cocktail after work. I made a jar of kimchi a few weeks ago so that should be good and festered by now. It makes a great garnish on the egg.

1/25/19 @ 10:09 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Just a heads up regarding BT's recipe (and I suppose pickled eggs in general), but after 10 months in the fridge, they were still really good. Saving the last one for the year anniversary in February lol. 

1/23/19 @ 9:15 PM
jeff68
User since 3/15/11
I save my Mt. Olive dill pickle juice and jar. 10 or so lg. eggs. Nothing else. Found an 80 oz. jar. Just finished off the pickles. I use same jars for sauerkraut. 1 large head will fill a 46 oz. jar.
12/21/18 @ 5:16 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

PSA. I found out today that a dozen large (not x-large or jumbo) eggs fit perfectly into a Vlasic pickle jar. These babies will be ready by mid-January.

9/5/18 @ 9:52 AM
JamesD
JamesD
PRO MEMBER User since 2/16/04

Zeplure made me laugh about him eating the eggs before the required soak time. I do the same thing! I've dumbed down the whole thing by just tossing the peeled eggs into the Clausen pickle brine already in the fridge once the pickles are gone. I found they taste pretty good that way. I posted a fridge pickle brine on another thread that's way heavier on the sugar and chopped onion content. I might try that as an egg bath for something different from the hot stuff in some of these recipes.

4/19/18 @ 7:10 AM
surf n turf
PRO MEMBER User since 1/31/07

My last batch was nice and hot. Had them  after 7 wks of sitting in fridge.Recipe is probly down a page or 2 if interested.I add extra onions also. They are amazing.

3/30/18 @ 2:48 PM
hoofhearted25
User since 1/4/10

I have found by using my food saver jar attachment I get better infusion into the eggs. And using local eggs yummy.

The wife is complaining "MY" stuff is taking up to much room on the fridge. I told her there is too many of her leftovers in the fridge. Didn't have the heart to tell her she has leftovers because she can't cook!!!!!!

3/21/18 @ 4:50 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I think that if you keep them in the refer, they'll last a few months minimum. I have two left in a jar that I made right after New Years and they are still good.

Now I may have to go eat one.

3/21/18 @ 10:06 AM
Jared
Jared
User since 7/22/01

How long will these keep (refrigerated)? 

I forgot about them, got about six weeks in and they are pretty good. I think next time I'm going to go with extra garlic/spiceyness. Should be fun.

3/7/18 @ 7:30 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

I invert them from time to time to spread around flavors.  Is it necessary? Who knows.  

I'd refrigerate.  My mom said that when granny used to pickle surplus eggs on the farm, they went into the root cellar where it was cooler.  I've kept them on the counter in normal temps and the brine forms a white floculant mass.  It's not bacteria (I had it tested in our lab that I work at), but why chance it.  Salmonella or Botulism poisoning is not a pleasant way to go!

I've had them last for months in the frig.  If they last that long.

3/7/18 @ 4:09 PM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Silly question, but while the eggs are sitting, is there any need to slosh things around or rotate it at all?

Also, for 3+ weeks it takes for them to be ready, do you have them in a fridge or sitting out at room temperature? And is one method preferred over the other?

3/7/18 @ 11:19 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

My batches that I posted on 2/11 will be a month old on Sunday.  I may have to sample one of each.  I'm not overly excited on the batch with the jalapeno based on results that others have posted.  I'm going to have to step up the spice level next time and add some powdered cayenne that I dehydrated last fall.  But the garlic batch should be interesting.  I think I used 10-12 cloves and I smashed them with the side of the knife to release more flavor. 

3/7/18 @ 11:14 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01

There are recipes online for making your own blend but I just buy this at the grocery store in the spice section.

3/7/18 @ 10:31 AM
Chipriverrat
User since 3/21/16

BT- This might be a stupid question, but what do you use for "Pickling Spices"?  Thanks for the recipe!

Displaying 30 to 44 of 110 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE