SEARCH
MORE
General Discussion

Cougar sighting

2/20/18 @ 10:57 PM
INITIAL POST
Drawsbaby
User since 5/7/03

Cougar sighting on home surveillance camera near Milwaukee. I wonder if the DNR is going to say it was a pet that escaped. 

Displaying 61 to 64 of 64 posts
10/5/18 @ 11:09 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

The difference between now and 10-15 years ago are the one billion trail cameras deployed throughout the state making detections of a small number of cats much more likely, and more importantly much easier to substantiate and confirm. 

What's with all the logic?  There is zero place for that in a conversation about cougars in WI.     

Edit:  The "crying laughing" emoji is one indication that I'm joking.  

-The drunker fool

10/5/18 @ 10:31 AM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

They’ve probably been passing through here and there for pretty much ever. I’m not really up on the cougar population trends out west but I’d guess they’d be relatively stable to slightly increasing. Young males disperse looking for new territory or else face death. They just keep going since they can’t find females, which don’t widely disperse. The difference between now and 10-15 years ago are the one billion trail cameras deployed throughout the state making detections of a small number of cats much more likely, and more importantly much easier to substantiate and confirm. 

10/5/18 @ 10:13 AM
phishin phool
phishin phool
PRO MEMBER User since 4/5/08

the_dude, it is "too early" for me but, later, tonight...I might try and spread that..."cheers" (insert drink emo thing here)

10/5/18 @ 9:23 AM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

Do you really believe that the DNR brought in wolves/cougars? Even though I am no fan of the DNR leadership,do you really believe that out of the many people that would have to be involved no one would leak this info? Please this story has been spread by drunks and fools for years!SMFH

Do you really not get jokes?  

Signed, 

A drunk fool.

10/4/18 @ 10:51 PM
rvrbt
User since 3/24/10

My Father and Grandfather were deer hunting by Star Lake in 1955 , they heard wolves howling and there were tracks

10/4/18 @ 3:34 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

There are plenty of cougars roaming around bars if memory serves me. 

10/4/18 @ 3:28 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

Dude.       Quit going to bars.    CARPIO 

10/4/18 @ 1:08 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I think it is a Pug..

10/4/18 @ 1:03 PM
Dave (Golden)
Dave (Golden)
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Told my neighbor that the next time I see his dog in the yard I am going to shoot it..

10/4/18 @ 12:57 PM
the_dude
the_dude
User since 1/10/03

I heard in the bar that the DNRs reintroduced cougars and wolves to kill deer because the insurance companies made them.  

10/4/18 @ 12:53 PM
Daveseb
User since 10/4/18
Seems unimaginable that after a century or more of being extinct from Wisconsin, that all of a sudden these animals (including wolves) would suddenly show up in the last decade or so.
5/26/18 @ 1:21 AM
fishingmaster1997
User since 4/18/12
Saw what looked like a mountain lion tonight on Granville rd in mequon while driving in the dark. I only saw the ass end of it as it and the outline of its body as it was crossing the road and it was pretty brief but I’m almost positive. Had a very large tail I don’t know how to discribe other than “full” with black on the end. And it was much larger than the coyotes we have out here. It was definitely a feline and it was much larger than a bobcat. I really wish I could’ve gotten a better look. 
3/5/18 @ 12:09 AM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

One was seen today in my sister in laws backyard.  North of Sussex . She does have chickens  , but they were still in the coop . Maybe came to the scent ?

2/23/18 @ 2:47 PM
deskjockey
User since 1/23/10

Fish, For the record I wasn't poking you in the eye. I've seen numerous comments that the cats spotted are males seeking their own territories and females to breed. I've always thought that the adult females must also be territorial to protect limited food resoursces for themselves and their offspring, and that young females, or even adults, would disperse in hard times to find food and/or their own space. I think over time the spread of females into the currently male dominated outlying areas will increase and that breeding populations will be established or grow from their current range.

2/23/18 @ 1:30 PM
Fishsqueezer
User since 5/19/06

I’ll amend my statement to 95% chance they’re all males. The breeding and dispersal habits of cougars do not require female cougars to disperse very far beyond their natal range. No one is saying it will never happen but even with western populations stable or  increasing, the chances of breeding populations popping up are still pretty slim with the wide swath of poor habitat between wisconsin and the nearest breeding populations. And they’ve probably been passing through for years. The difference now is detection is much more probable with the billion trail cams that are deployed that weren’t around 15 years ago. 

Displaying 61 to 64 of 64 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE