SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

2017 Gun Deer Season

11/20/17 @ 6:05 AM
INITIAL POST
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Let's hear how everyone's hunt went. We had 4 hunters, we got 5 deer. I was the only one who did not shoot one. I would have been happy to kill one but I was fine with  not gutting one. Burnett county 

Displaying 46 to 60 of 77 posts
11/22/17 @ 6:51 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Walleye Catcher, yes I remember the days in the 70s and 80s even into the 90s when there seemed to be constant shooting on opening mornings into sunday.  Not sure if things have changed but I don't hunt there anymore. Up north I hear 20 shots all weekend.

As far as public land goes, yeah lots of rum asses out there. 4PM Saturday in northern Price County some guy unloads a 15 shot clip in rapid fire. OK I can see blowing off frustration on the last day of the hunt. But on opening day?  Can the idiot spell L-O-S-E-R?

11/22/17 @ 3:20 PM
JAK79KEL
User since 5/24/06

Opening morning Vilas county public land get to the spot and there is a truck there and foot prints headed where I planned to sit.  Buddy and I turn around and go to plan b.  Back out at 1230 to spot a. No truck so we walk in and set up.  Bout 230 guy walks in bout 100 yards from me and climbs into a stand sounds like he is banging a bucket on every rung on the way up. Then another guy walks in front of me and sits down about 60 yards away.  Got text that my mom shot a spike so said heck with it and got out of there.  Wouldn't you know it, same truck from the morning is back...  jackwagons wont get my courtesy next year. Some big jacked up white gmc  with roof rack and light bar. Probably only gets off the pavement 1 week a year...public land blues I guess

11/22/17 @ 2:26 PM
Thump55
User since 7/19/04

WC- That answer is very simple: free doe tags with every license, doe only gun hunts every single year, a few years of earn-a-buck, and now a "Holiday" hunt to kill even more does.

The DNR lets hunters pound the everloving snot outta the doe population.

11/22/17 @ 2:08 PM
Walleye Catcher
User since 3/8/06

we hunt private land in northern outagamie county. saw a few does but passes. no shooting from surrounding areas from 9am till 330pm. on sunday of opener there was hardly nobody out anywhere, what has happened to deer hunting anyway? when i was a kid in the 70's you sat all day on opener and had shooting all day in shiocton and now theres nobody even in the woods? id also see 30 deer a day on opener back then too

11/22/17 @ 12:26 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I hunted with my dad and wife this past weekend up at my place in northern Price County.  My 5 year old son also sat with my wife Saturday afternoon in her blind, but don't worry...that kid won't be getting a gun any time soon.  He likes to go along for short periods and be part of it.  We gave him an iPad for when he got bored.  I play on my phone so I figured what is the difference.

My dad didn't see a deer.  I shot a spiker and also saw a doe and a sub-legal single spike over two days.

The story of our weekend though was my wife and son.  She never shot a deer up north so we had bought a doe tag for the off chance they somehow stay quiet enough to see a deer.   I didn't think it could possibly happen, but somehow they got a deer close enough.  She asked my son if she should shoot it, he said yeah.  At this point its blowing at them and stomping its feet (knew they'd be loud).  It hesitated long enough for her to take a shot at it.  She figured she missed but said that it walked away....yeah, shot at a deer with a gun and it walked away.

I get over to see what happened and she told me where the deer was standing.  We have snow and there are no deer tracks.  Honey, the deer was not here....oh I don't know it went left.  I look around, no blood or nothing.  I decide to walk the complete opposite direction, where I figured the deer would have come from and after about 25 yards I saw it laying below a little hill, just out of sight from where she was.  She somehow shot and broke both front legs and said it walked away...no way LOL.  This deer could touch its hooves behind its back.  It had to be pushing itself forward.  She gets such a case of buck fever that I never have any idea what actually took place when she shoots a deer.  That's what makes it fun though.  My son was stoked, running around with a big spot light and tracking it all over again.  The only problem is now he probably thinks he can hunt up north and shoot a deer in a couple hours, that reality will change.

11/22/17 @ 12:02 PM
Chris Dewolfe
PRO MEMBER User since 1/4/17

Passed on some smaller deer so far. Took yesterday off from hunting and this guy showed up

11/22/17 @ 10:24 AM
.Long Barrels
User since 12/9/14

I'm hoping all the corn stays thru Sunday.  The deer assassins don't seem to be doing too well by us in Green Lake Co.  No brown it's down hunting when you aren't seeing them .  Thank God for that timely rain!!

11/22/17 @ 8:53 AM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

It's been slow for my group so far.  Only two does and one miss by my dad. No morning movement other than a few random deer.  Evening we've been seeing a lot but not until 30-45 before closing and by then time they get in range is been getting dark.  We've got some deer but they seem to be hunkered down.  Marquette county.  

I'll be heading to Jackson county for Thursday and Friday

11/21/17 @ 11:11 PM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

Didnt see a darn thing for 4 days. Sunday was awesome weather so son and I went ice fishing. 3.5 inches good ice and caught a meal of perch.

This morning after sitting for an hour I seen what looked like the biggest wolf Ive ever seen. Big and black, 130 yards away. Once he realized we wwere not part of the scenery he jumped high, spun around and ran fast. Never seen a wolf panic and run like that. Ive always seen them trot and unafraid.

11/21/17 @ 10:52 PM
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

I was surprised how much corn was standing in Burnett and Washburn counties

11/21/17 @ 4:32 PM
Prop
Prop
User since 4/9/03
Lot of corn still up in our area so it's not surprising.  
11/21/17 @ 4:30 PM
BigSteelhead
User since 1/12/03
Preliminary numbers are out for opening weekend. Looks like about 14,000 less deer taken this year than last. Just under 103,000 taken.
11/21/17 @ 2:54 PM
murman
User since 11/4/08

Skunky - it's basically like this haha.

11/21/17 @ 1:49 PM
Hunter&Hound
User since 7/24/01

I hunt 2 miles from nowhere. 

So, to my surprise, I heard voices at 1:00 yesterday afternoon.  Long story short, some guys were doing a drive.  Where they started and where their standers were is a complete mystery.

Anyhow, a younger guy comes nearest my stand...full blaze, AR w/ a banana clip, and full face camo.  I'm not sure what running through his head, but he was a sight to be seen.  The look on his face was priceless when he finally realized I was sitting there...watching him.

They really come out of the woodwork for rifle season.

11/21/17 @ 1:42 PM
Boogie
Boogie
PRO MEMBER User since 1/25/02

Saw three deer opening morning.  Got a doe while walking back from helping my son see if he hit what he was shooting at.  

Sunday had 5+ deer come over a fence near me but the gun had frozen up from the rain the day before.  Moral of the story: Not only dry your clothes but dry your gun!

Displaying 46 to 60 of 77 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE