SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

2017 Gun Deer Season

11/20/17 @ 6:05 AM
INITIAL POST
Mr.Seaguar
PRO MEMBER User since 2/5/05

Let's hear how everyone's hunt went. We had 4 hunters, we got 5 deer. I was the only one who did not shoot one. I would have been happy to kill one but I was fine with  not gutting one. Burnett county 

Displaying 16 to 30 of 77 posts
11/28/17 @ 10:54 PM
the Jimmer
the Jimmer
User since 1/11/05

Dandy buck. Congrats! Apparently there are a few public land bruisers out there to be had. Looks like you must’ve had a little work into it.

11/28/17 @ 10:11 PM
Jackal
Jackal
User since 5/19/05

a few more

2017 Gun Deer Season photo by Jackal
11/28/17 @ 10:03 PM
Jackal
Jackal
User since 5/19/05

Didn't make it up to the cabin in Sawyer County this year. My ill dog kept me close to home. Sat on a few of my favorite public land spots logging in a total of 41 hours. Saw a total of 3 does, and one buck which ended my season. Second year in a row I tagged out a 12 point on the last Sunday of the season. Couldn't be happier. 166 5/8 gross green.

11/28/17 @ 1:52 PM
OO Buckshot
User since 10/4/05

Hunted a mix of public and private as I do every gun season.  Start opening weekend in Northern Adams county.  My previously good location got over run by hunters and the loggers were in there this year taking out a good number of mature trees out my stand location.  Decided to scout out a nearby area Friday that looked good on a map pretty secluded over 3/4 mile in.

I sat with a buddy 150 maybe 200 yards apart since it was pretty thick stand of oaks.  He took the ridge top I took the river bottom.  Sat all day saturday with good deer movement we just couldn't get a shot off.  Between us we saw 10 deer only 1 fawn offered a legitimate shot opportunity but it got a pass.  Wouldn't shoot a fawn and more importantly wouldn't want to drag it out that distance.  Call it a success day 1 we were on deer after never hunting this spot and only doing a quick scout job.  Sunday came and there was very few shots and no deer sightings in the same spot, hunted until noon.  Monday morning tried a location I shot deer out of in the past since the orange army was gone I figured I could give it a try.  Hunted until 11 no sightings got too warm.

Hunted Wednesday in Dodge co.  Walking to my stand through the field and I have a nice sized deer feeding in the field 20yards from the stand.  Try to army crawl into position over the hill for a shot by it skylined me on the horizon and took off when I was finally legal to shoot.  No more deer seen that day

Thursday morning hunt only, no deer seen until I was undressing at the truck 5 adult does scream across the road within 100 yards through the field.  By the time I grabbed my gun up and readied they were 250+ and booking so I wasn't going to take a pop shot at deer like that not risking a wounded one.

Friday too hot decided to let the woods rest.

Saturday morning cool and frosty sunny high pressure day have a good feeling.  I turn around in the stand and sit down after an hour of looking behind me where deer normally come from.  I notice a doe pop out of nowhere and is standing at 20 yards.  She must have spotted me when I turned around she pulled a 180 and trotted off.  My gun was still hanging on a tree hook so a grabbed it as she was leaving.  As she is trotting off I hear a noise up of the ridge and seconds later a deer comes trotting in down the ridge.  Through the tree in an opening I see a decent buck.  He makes it into my shooting lane at 25 yards and sent a 200gr core lockt from the ole marlin 35 rem.  No reaction and picks up pace as hes wheels past me at 15 yards i send another one his way thinking I missed on the first go round.  Both shots hit their mark and he piled up 20-25 yards from the stand.  My biggest to date.  Midweek deer sightings a lot lower than previous years.  I think its time to scale back on the doe tags.  The last 2 season between gun and bow have seen a drop off in deer sightings.

2017 Gun Deer Season photo by OO Buckshot
11/28/17 @ 9:39 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

SW Waupaca Co:

Hunted all week, opener at first light nice big bodied buck comes trottin across field cant get um to stop finally does pow, he kicks and walks off to my buddy pow he shoots and drops um, a nice 9pt but busted up rack still great to have a deer down opening morning, nothing after, went and gutted that buck mid morning seen 2 fawns trot out on neighbors field and into the corn, sat til dark nothing walking out seen 2 deer by truck.

sunday cold and crisp, felt good and deery, pow!  buddy shoots another buck 5ptr sat awhile nothing more.

Monday pm- nada

Tuesday-ducks

Wed am- one deer in swamp at first light no shot

Wed pm-nada

Thursday am and pm- nada

Friday pm- 65 degrees and breezy, had to go, figured maybe they will move on a warm front day and when can you deer hunt in nov. in a t shirt nothing until the last 15 minutes of shooting gets cool and calm i hear some brush rustling i look out and 2 doe pop out into field and make their way down to my stand they get about 50 yds out and pow, one  takes a digger the other one trots off and stops pow does a loop and drops, was excited to double up and get some meat, got them cleaned up and hung up right before the rain starts, had a a few libations and made a fish fry with family was a great night! buddy and I butchered the 3 saturday was a long day, but fun times.

Sunday AM- cold crisp morning-nada, did a lilttle walk around the marsh and didnt kick anything up which is strange.

as said previously we didnt see nearly as many deer as we normally do nor did I hear the shots that we normally do, lots of corn up and post rut and lots of hunters in the woods seems to of had the deer holding tight until dark. was a great fun camp with friends and family great meals and drinks and laughs thats really what its all about for me, deer are a bonus.

congrats to all who connected and good luck to all headed out with  the smoke polers!

" Camp No Dear"

11/27/17 @ 8:14 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

Hunted at least part of the 7 days I was up in Black River Falls. Didn't see a deer.

11/27/17 @ 4:36 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

Overall it was a pretty bad year for me.  First year without a deer with the bow or gun at this point.  I passed a lot of deer opening weekend and didn't see much the rest of the season.  Deer just weren't moving for whatever reason.  Only day I didn't go out was Friday.  After I went home my uncle and cousin went out yesterday evening.  My cousin got two does and my uncle got a small buck.  The neighbor also shot two last evening.  My uncle said there were deer everywhere running back and forth.  Not sure what brought them out yesterday, but it sure would have been nice to have a few days ago. Marquette County

11/27/17 @ 4:28 PM
GreatOutdoors2001
User since 7/5/01

We ended 2nd weekend with my dad and a buddy each shooting a doe.  I just hunted Saturday with my son again.  We saw 1 buck, 1 doe, and 2 fawns Saturday morning.  Saw 5 does/fawns, 2 or 3 bucks, and some unknowns Saturday evening.  The doe that my buddy shot Saturday evening was being chased by a 3.5 year old buck.  Only one who went out hunting Sunday morning was my dad.  He saw 6 bucks and a decent amount of does in a 3 hour hunt before we started cleaniing up camp for the year.

For me, it was a great year.  Had an excellent archery season and then mentored my 10 year old son on opening day of gun season when he shot a 4 pointer for his first deer.  Gotta give him credit, he sat all day and shot it late afternoon, better than some of my dad's buddies who can't hardly hunt 3 hours.  He's hooked and now talking about turkey seaon next spring. 

I'm done for the year, but a couple guys from my group might still go out. 

11/27/17 @ 1:35 PM
take'em!
User since 9/8/11

Put a total of about 25 hours on stand this past week and did not see a single deer. Very rare for me. I hunt private land in Washington County. Not sure if it was the weather or not. There has been a lot of hunting pressure in my area though. 

11/27/17 @ 8:29 AM
sheephead
User since 2/8/17

Didn't shoot a thing and never saw a thing. I had 30 hours of sitting and saw 0. Most years I see deer everyday. Not sure what happened. This was the east side of Waupaca county. Between bow and gun I had 6 doe tags. Glad 0 does were taken on my property. Time to let the herd rebuild. For the year with bow and gun i saw twice as many bucks as does. I think that pretty much says it all. I know Waupaca county is known for its deer numbers but not every part of the county is created equal. I think the doe quota is set to high. Didn't hear much shooting close by either.

11/27/17 @ 8:11 AM
1fowl one
1fowl one
User since 12/9/10

It was tough, way too nice of weather this year. Pictures on the trail cam kept my son motivated. But he never crossed paths with one if the bigger bucks. Ended up shooting a three this past Sunday morning. I didn't even pull the gun out. With such nice weather finished the outhouse instead. Lol.

A little info. One wolf will kill 20-25 deer a year. Range 20-100 sq miles. In some cases/areas that can be devastating to a herd.

11/26/17 @ 11:56 PM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
User since 6/8/07

Got it done opening day at 7:30. My first deer I tracked down in the bigwoods of northern Wisconsin. Years ago our group of 8 didn't see a single deer, now everyone saw something. Lots of young deer, including my own. Very thankful for the opportunity. Almost a mile from the nearest road.

11/26/17 @ 10:21 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

Pretty much sucked  . In central Waushara county  I either own , have relatives , or friends with over 1200 acres of land  . Grand total of 4 bucks taken .  I saw 4 doe on first Sunday  and that was it  .  A good mix of crop land oak woods and tamaracks.  7 or 8 years ago it was not uncommon to see 20 to 30 a morning on weekdays  . 

Now we are not shooting doe hoping for some herd rebuilding  . 

My place has beans and corn on three sides and I am mostly wooded so you would think I would get some incoming in morning , but no .

we had a wolf siting a few years back and some sign ( droppings and prints) . But nothing the last few years . Coyotes seem to be increasing.  3 neighbors combined for almost 40 trapped last year , and they still howl most nights .

Just at a loss for why we are not seeing more . There is baiting allowed for the first time , but not even much on cameras .

11/26/17 @ 7:14 PM
theimer
theimer
User since 12/11/05

Florence county.

i hunted opening weekend. All day Saturday and half day Sunday 

i saw 7 does and fawns on Saturday taking a doe.

0 deer Sunday

when back up Friday hunted Friday night 0 deer.

saw 5 does and fawns on Saturday.

11/26/17 @ 8:31 AM
reeldrag83
reeldrag83
User since 12/20/12

Well another gun  season in the books. Never took safety off. Let a basket rack walk on opener. Then went dead. Went up to buffalo county saw good deer but nothing over 150 so those smaller fellas walked but the group we were hunting with did manage a few very nice deer so a win is a win. Had a great bow season so no complaints from me saw around 80 deer this gun season and most of my group got deer so good season. Now bring on the ice. 

2017 Gun Deer Season photo by reeldrag83
Displaying 16 to 30 of 77 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE