SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

2021 Waterfowl Reports

1/6/21 @ 7:59 AM
INITIAL POST
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09

Another new year! Lets hope it's better than 2020! Post your reports, hunting trips for, hopefully, a successful Season. Stay Safe, Shoot Straight!   

Displaying 46 to 60 of 107 posts
11/1/21 @ 2:56 PM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17

Definitely ducks around.  I have a special honey hole that takes a ton of work to get to.  Observed plenty of birds, mostly woodies, last month but waited until today to hunt it.  Birds roost there overnight and leave just before shooting time if clear skies.  Got there 30 minutes after shooting time and, after a lengthy battle with hip deep mud, still flushed quite a few ducks paddling in.  Mostly mallards but also watched blacks and pintails in the sky.  After they settled down, I placed my 4 decoys and waited for others to return.  Plenty of spots for them to drop back in besides the open water by me.  I pass up plenty of shots as I prefer singles with landing gear down.  Had my 4 green heads and slipped out of there before 10 am.  Not sure if I will go back tomorrow or Wed.  Mind is willing but the old body not as eager as it was 45 years ago!

11/1/21 @ 7:58 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Hunted a large central wi lake saturday am along with the rest of the state, jeez lot of guys had the same idea, anyways had to set up at plan c spot and was okay, saw some divers and a few smaller wads of mallards but yet again never shoulderd the gun. still good morning with buddys, hopefully this cold snap will get them heading down some, we'll see.

goodhuntin all!

10/30/21 @ 9:48 PM
outfishin
User since 1/14/13

Tough season for me. Took my nephew out this morning on his first duck hunt and luckily we had a couple buffleheads cooperate because we didn’t have many other opportunities. He got his 1st 2 ducks with 1 shot! Proud of him and he has the patience to be a good hunter. 

10/30/21 @ 11:31 AM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Beautiful mild morning along the pool 7 Flyaway Highway. 2 Drake mallards completed the morning.

Lean migration continues. Colder temp changes in the next 24hrs. We will see...

10/29/21 @ 8:14 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

Not a report.  I skipped the WI southern opening weekend this year to help my son scout for ducks/duck hunting spot(s) in Iowa.  We checked out a bunch of areas and most of the locations we checked at first were almost dry or completely dry.  He told me he didn't know what to expect and his goal was to kill one duck in IA this year.  His season opened on October 9th.  Fast forward to today....he has hunted 6 times, including tonight, and has harvested 25 birds so far.  Sheesh!!

10/29/21 @ 3:03 PM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Good info bernzy!  was actually looking at heading up that way to hunt some of the bigger water that we did many years ago, hopefully it gets better up there!

I hunted a small SE WI pond last evening and seen 3 mallard and coulda shoulda woulda had some geese but was set up wrong and with like 5 minutes to go in shooting time I opted to just watch them and see how they used this particular pond.  

Back up north tonight to waupaca planning on settin out the diver spread in AM, well see how that goes for us.

goodhuntin all be safe!

10/29/21 @ 11:08 AM
Bernzy16
User since 2/22/04

Thought I would recap my action from the past month here in Price County. It's actually been one of the better seasons in recent memory up here with good numbers of local woodies and geese around and the odd mallard or teal mixing in. The best part is they are sticking around longer this year thanks to above average temps; unlike last year where the marshes were all froze up already. This area isn't exactly a major flyway but if you scout and sit on a good spot during the first hour of light you can usually count on something dropping in. Jump shooting beaver ponds and rivers has also made for some fun midday hunts if they aren't flying. Saw the first bufflehead groups come in this week on the Flambeau so I would expect the local woodies to be leaving very soon if they haven't already and species compositions changing as the marshes freeze up next week most likely. Migration is upon us in the far north but it's always a question of how long of stop they make (and if you'll be in the right spot) before they move farther south where there's more food. Usually boom or bust but it's fun to try. Good hunting to all!

10/25/21 @ 7:54 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Hunted large central wi lake saturday am hoping for some diver action, albeit per usual for this season not a duck killed, shot a coot for the dog and that was all, seen a couple high flying wads but very slow overall, very disappointing season so far.

If anyone found a goose floater, please msg me.

goodhuntin all!

10/25/21 @ 6:04 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

Shot two geese Saturday morning and called it quits, figured that was good.  Sunday morning never fired the gun, all the geese were just out of range.  

10/24/21 @ 7:25 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

My oldest son was in town and we spent the day goose hunting, watching the pack win and an afternoon mallard hunt. Geese didn't cooperate but the mallards did. 

10/24/21 @ 5:13 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky

Yes...you are correct rufflefeather.  I believe as a landowner you can get 5 crane control tags.  I know one farmer that has filled those tags every year for the past 4 or 5 years.  IMO it is a complete waste to have to destroy the bird and throw it away once a control tag is filled.

10/24/21 @ 4:51 PM
rufflefeather
PRO MEMBER User since 10/23/20

SuspendedMusky                   ted Nugent was in WI fighting for crane season, they are overpopulated and doing agricultural damage, so the DNR is having them killed and disposed of instead of allowing hunters to harvest them 

10/24/21 @ 10:42 AM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky

Switched it up today and went very small water, very small spread.  Had 2 mallards and 2 wood ducks over the dekes this morning hunting a farm pond.  Didn't see a ton of ducks today, maybe 25 birds total.  However, we did have wave after wave of sandhill cranes pass over, many easily within shooting range (provided they were legal game in WI).  Hundreds of geese in the air too. 

It was an awesome sunrise through the cattails this morning.

10/23/21 @ 7:19 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Sorry

10/23/21 @ 5:59 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Hunted in a.m. and managed 2 mallard. Still good amount of local birds but no other hunters out today.  Very little bird activity, no migration what so ever. Been a very tough season so far.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 107 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE