SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

2021 Waterfowl Reports

1/6/21 @ 7:59 AM
INITIAL POST
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09

Another new year! Lets hope it's better than 2020! Post your reports, hunting trips for, hopefully, a successful Season. Stay Safe, Shoot Straight!   

Displaying 16 to 30 of 107 posts
11/30/21 @ 8:09 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Seeing some mallard and geese in moving water in SE WI, hope they stick around for the final weekend.

goodhuntin!

11/26/21 @ 8:58 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Dejavu' again this year always seem the same, this time of season during gun deer everything locks up and then its over up north and the one or 2 remaining open pockets of water or river are loaded with geese and mallard, i did get out on the 19th for my last northern hunt Daisy and I busted sheet ice to get to our spot that the geese kept open, mid morning had to re open hole with motor to break up ice, I had one goldeneye dump in and I dropped it Daisy busted ice and made one of the best retrieves of the season, it was 20 out so i left shortly after that even with vest little girl was very cold. Back home now and most of my smaller ponds are iced over as well, its going to be an intresting end to southern zone, id like to get out 3 more times that would make 30 hunts for me this season.

goodhuntin all and be safe in the cold.

11/24/21 @ 10:41 AM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Slept in Monday morning knowing the cold weather would keep the birds grounded. Went out to the river at 10ish only to find it all locked up. Went to the springs nearby and they were to locked up with ice. Scouted most of the day and only found geese where one cannot hunt. Yesterday nothing really thawed out much. Found some mallards in the springs but tough to hunt with out others hunting. Started putting gear away as well in shed. Will still try a few more goose hunts if they start using a few huntable spots. 

11/23/21 @ 7:59 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

A ton of water systems froze up with the low temps the past 2 nights, including a couple of larger ones.  I scouted today and saw some mallards, 1 drake bluebill, and a pile of geese in areas I could not access.  Last night I started putting away a bunch of my gear; pintail dekes, redheads, cans, bluebills, and some mallards.  I am going to keep a handful of mallards and a couple of strings of black/white ducks available for the remainder of the season.  I may take another road trip to Iowa as my son continues to have a ton of action.

Hundreds of geese were passing over my yard this afternoon heading out to feed.  Many of them were well within range.  Good thing they don't allow waterfowl hunting from subdivisions as a 12 lb falling feathered projectile striking a house roof would not be a good thing.

2021 Waterfowl Reports photo by SuspendedMusky
11/21/21 @ 9:22 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

No luck

See your from eau Claire area. How are you done for the year when I am still chasing green heads in the Hayward area. Managed 2 and missed a third this a.m. Wind and snow today, ducky day. Going out again tomorrow for the final couple days.

2021 Waterfowl Reports photo by grizwald
11/20/21 @ 6:36 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Hunted this a.m. on my favorite 3000 acre flowage. Not much workinng. Saw 5 mallards and few buffies. Ice has been forming on ponds and back bays. Did manage to kick up a crippled mallard on the cattail land I hunted. Was the only shot fired. Hunted till 10:00. Scouted the river and found the local mallards all grouped up.

In the evening I dat down by the farms by big LCO. Watched 1000's of geese and hundreds of mallards work the cut corn fields. Plenty of birds just have no field permission. 

Back at it tomorrow!??

11/18/21 @ 4:10 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

West central WI, Tundra Swans moving last two days, Sandhill Cranes flocking up yesterday and gone today.  Hunted this AM local lake, few flocks of Divers moving around, two mallards seen, all decoy shy, one flock of 20 or so Buffalo head, managed one Goldeneye at the end.  Cold windy day.. Season over for me.  Good Luck!!

11/18/21 @ 8:23 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Not happy, heading up to waupaca tonight for the week, id say things done north by weekend IMO, want to try in AM but Im thinking ice will be a issue. big deeper lakes may hold some birds yet but launching is always the problem with the ice.

goodhuntin all and be safe out there.

11/17/21 @ 8:15 PM
Rdwc86
User since 11/17/21

If there is anyone that hunts around the petenwell area could you please message me I have a question or two, thank you

11/17/21 @ 6:03 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

I second the swan movement. Been watching flights all evening coming down the flyaway highway.

Deep cold must be knocking on the door soon. 

11/17/21 @ 4:57 PM
panks
User since 10/22/08

Swans moving by the thousands over Central wisconsin. Started at 5:00 a.m. and continued throughout the day

11/17/21 @ 8:33 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Doing some lite scouting after work  in SE WI this week, and not seeing to much other than a few mallard and geese in random fields and not in high numbers, "hear" decent reports from the bay, but not much else, most of my puddles and ponds I hunt close to home were froze over as of yesterday and with temps well below freezing in the following week, its going to make for an intresting end to a less than stellar season, keep the faith boys.

Goodfhuntin!

11/15/21 @ 8:24 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

well I dont feel to depressed this morning then guys, had same thoughts with the weather coming ducks would too, but not the case, hunted a gorgeous private pond sat am with two good buddys for my 40th bday hoping for some good shooting, but aside from the first 35 minute flight not much to report we downed 1 fat greenhead and 1 hen hooded, had some geese work and dump out in the middle which was odd, overall great comaradere but poor duck numbers.

Hunted last evening at a bagdad public spot close to home with a good buddy for last hour or so, actually saw one flock of geese and a wad of ducks below them, they made a loop and headed east to the big pond. o well maybe next week!

goodhuntin all!

11/15/21 @ 7:19 AM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Suspended

The joys of last season and frozen gear. They dry out in our second tub. Lol!

11/14/21 @ 8:16 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

I own 1 Herters model 72.  It was a drake mallard "sample" I ordered way back when you could still get them.  I remember you posted once that you painted up some as black ducks.  That inspired me to convert my mallard 72 into a drake black duck.

2021 Waterfowl Reports photo by SuspendedMusky
Displaying 16 to 30 of 107 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE