SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

2021 Waterfowl Reports

1/6/21 @ 7:59 AM
INITIAL POST
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09

Another new year! Lets hope it's better than 2020! Post your reports, hunting trips for, hopefully, a successful Season. Stay Safe, Shoot Straight!   

Displaying 30 to 44 of 107 posts
11/14/21 @ 8:16 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08

I own 1 Herters model 72.  It was a drake mallard "sample" I ordered way back when you could still get them.  I remember you posted once that you painted up some as black ducks.  That inspired me to convert my mallard 72 into a drake black duck.

2021 Waterfowl Reports photo by SuspendedMusky
11/14/21 @ 7:52 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Suspended

Most of the season I've hunted over bout 7 of them. Today I busted out bout 15 of them. Feels good to hunt over vintage blocks. I to passed on a lot of divers today because of far shots. Watch another group waste bout half box of shells on a cripple.

11/14/21 @ 7:23 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky

I like seeing those Herters model 72 and 81 mallards on the water Griz.

I hunted Saturday.  I was expecting to see more birds coming through ahead of the snow front where I was.  I fired 3 shots and got a drake mallard and drake lesser scaup.  I had a few other opportunities but elected to not take the shots and potentially cripple something.  A couple groups were hunting near me and crippled/lost several after long boat chases and multiple shots being expended on the chase to no avail.

This morning I had every intention of going.  I got up early and looked at the heavy snow squall coming down and decided I didn't want to take the long boat ride across big water in low visibility conditions.  So the ducks got a reprieve from me today.

11/14/21 @ 2:28 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Had a lot of birds around Thursday and a lot left on  north wind Friday. Still managed 4 mallards and a ringer in last three days. Not great but if I could shoot it would have been. 

2021 Waterfowl Reports photo by grizwald
11/10/21 @ 7:43 AM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17

A limit of woodies in East Central Wisconsin on Nov. 9th.  Previously safe secluded spot.  However, my honey hole has been discovered.  Figured it wouldn’t remain secret forever.  Storm brewing to NW so we should see some migrators soon.

11/8/21 @ 8:15 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Finally had some success on my 22 and 23rd hunts of the season between northern and southern zone, SE WI hunting a private lake we got our 6 geese and a couple ducks sat am and we got 5 geese and  a couple ducks yesterday am, was great to finally get some shooting and have birds actually work and dump into the spread, this cold front late this week, maybe the final hoorah, for the migration, cant wait!

goodhuntin all!

11/7/21 @ 8:10 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky

My son called and asked me to come and hunt with him in Iowa this weekend.  So I took a road trip on Friday.  While he was still finishing up some work obligations late Friday afternoon, I glassed over the wetland complex he told me he was hunting before sunset.  I saw hundreds of puddle ducks setting down into the wetland for the evening.  I texted him as to where specifically he was hunting and he sent me a satellite image of where he was setting up.  It looked like a long walk, especially carrying all of the gear in.

Saturday morning we hoofed in just over a mile carrying 2 guns, 2 marsh stools, a slotted decoy bag with 5 floaters and a spinner, and a blind bag, all while wearing neoprene waders.  We set up and it became apparent that we were going to see plenty of birds.  Prior to shooting light we could hear tons of mallards, teal, wigeon, and pintails vocalizing.  Once shooting hours began we had plenty of ducks piling into our little spread; mallards, teal, wigeon, and a couple of shovelers.  We missed some shots and could have limited out, but we ended up with 10 birds on the morning hunt.  Definitely had the most shooting of any group in the area.  While on the hunt, my son took a hike to check out some other spots.  3.6 miles hiked total on morning hunt.....with the extra weight of 10 birds on the strap on the way back.  I was bushed...lol.

We elected to go out Saturday afternoon for the last 1:15 to try and get the last 2 birds.  Great evening, but we didn't fire a shot.  2.25 miles in the waders.

Went out this morning and hunted for an hour before I had to leave to drive home. Had a bunch of ducks in the decoys before shooting light.  After LSL, we had a couple small flocks of teal zip through the spread.  Missed a few shots and he got one green-winged teal.  2.4 miles today....and 8.2 miles total.

Overall, a great experience.  I could have sat there all weekend and just watched.  It would not have mattered to me if I got a bird or not. 

11/5/21 @ 5:14 PM
trouter
trouter
User since 7/3/01

While hunting deer, I picked up around a dozen empty shotgun shells.   This explains why there are no more ducks where I usually hunt them.  

Geese, on the other hand are plentiful.   Which means I should put the crossbow away and target the geese.

Have a safe, productive hunt.

11/5/21 @ 3:40 PM
panks
User since 10/22/08

My wife was in Madison for the last 3-4 days. Said the lakes are stacked with ducks.   Driving north home, nothing on any of the ponds.

11/5/21 @ 7:24 AM
Jzzzzz
Jzzzzz
User since 1/19/02

Did my milk run of scouting wed and last night SE WI geese are around but isolated to certain fields and flight paths, even checked out the big pond and didnt see any flocks out there, normally this time of year there is lots of mergansers and scooter around but not yet, did find a decent number of ducks mallard and woodys which is surprising but ofcourse its the dagaba swamp that they are dumping into which I have no ambition to try and traverse.

be out on a small pond in the AM hopefully get a honker or 2.

Goodhuntin all!

11/4/21 @ 4:39 PM
walleyezhunter05
User since 3/22/05

Duck hunted northern Illinois today and the ducks just aren’t here. At least by us the numbers were still not up to par. Could kill geese for days in the fields but was hoping for a push of green to have arrived. Mayyyybe soon? Goodluck everyone.

WalleyezZ 

11/3/21 @ 5:58 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky

I hunted for a couple hours each morning the last 2 days.  No full limits, but was able to harvest mallards, teal, and buffs.  Saw a nice variety yesterday...mallards, teal, gadwalls, canvasbacks, bluebills, and buffs.

With the birds I saw yesterday, I decided to go today as well, although I knew the early calm wind conditions would make decoying birds and finishing them on big water tough.  

It was a beautiful morning today...great sunrise.  I was able to scratch out a half limit.  Gotta love buffs when conditions are not ideal and you need some birds.  Pics from today.

11/2/21 @ 9:57 PM
Wacky Rig
User since 3/11/17

Fowler—- yeah, the spot remains good because birds feel safe and I am the only one I’ve seen hunt it for last several years.  Never shoot birds leaving at opening time until last hunt of season.  Try to get in and out as quickly and quietly as possible.  Being able to let birds work without them flaring due to gunshots across a public marsh is great.  Very lucky to have this spot within 30 minutes of home and able to hunt midweek.

11/2/21 @ 7:48 PM
Granpa
User since 2/4/05

Fowler, I know your pain. I used to hunt pool 9 the weekend before gun deer season and most of the time hit the can migration with other divers mixed in. Last time I was there got there to late to hunt the first day so just sat at the landing watching a steady stream of cans flying up river. Next morning it was bitter cold and the whole bunch decided to leave over night. The only thing that saved the trip was the cold weather froze up all the ponds and pushed the mallards to the river. 

11/2/21 @ 7:01 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Sounds like an awesome honey hole Wacky!

Non hunting report as I will be punching the time clock til Thurs.

Good bunch of birds settling in the Missi river valley. Temps on the rise as the week goes on. State should hold some birds. Last season was thumbs down with the freeze up as the migration was peaking. 

Displaying 30 to 44 of 107 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE