SEARCH
MORE
Turkey Hunting

2020 Reports

4/2/20 @ 8:30 PM
INITIAL POST
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Three Toms strutting in my field today..

Displaying 46 to 60 of 87 posts
4/23/20 @ 9:55 AM
Johnny Wishbone
User since 8/15/18

Great day in the woods.  Birds were  pretty quiet.  I had one come in and strut.  He hung up just out of shotgun range, about 60 yards.  I would call and he would gobble and then strut.  This went on for about a 1/2 hour.  I couldn't take it anymore, so I busted out of cover, screamed like a crazy comanche (YE-YE-YE-YEE) ran as fast as I could toward the turkey, while firing on the charge.  I think I hit the bird on the third blast.  However, I gave it a couple more for good measure and weight.  I feel like I am now complete.

4/23/20 @ 8:55 AM
duxup
User since 8/5/05
Schneiks....Sounds like a great hunt, especially with your son. Nice 2-year old bird.
4/23/20 @ 6:37 AM
joeywadu
User since 5/13/02

Wind has been a real big bummer this spring...sitting in the blind it was like being in a space capsule at liftoff...thought I was going airborne

Wadu

4/22/20 @ 10:46 PM
One shot one kill
User since 8/12/02

High winds killed me today  , never heard or saw a bird .  I did have three Turkey   vultures come to a tree near me . Must have thought my tipped over decoy was something to eat  ?

4/22/20 @ 4:45 PM
schneiks
User since 11/23/15

Sealed the deal at 8:15 this morning Zone 3. 

This one will go down in my history book for quite a few reasons. #1 - spent the morning in the blind with my son, #2 it was my first turkey ever, and lastly it was like watching a hunt on tv. Scratched the call and he sounded off around 7:50 about 150yds away (at least that’s the way it sounded). Then kept coming and responding each time. Spotted him about 80yds through the pine brush strutting like he was a king. Came in on a string to the decoys after flanking is from behind and over our left shoulders. Heard him spitting and drumming as he was only like 10’ from the blind, then made a b-line for the decoys (a hen and a jake) strutted his stuff the whole way in. Took the shot at 12yds - had the decoys at 22yds. He put on quite a show that’s for sure. 

Now I’m not a turkey hunting master...far from it but it appears to me that this may be a younger (adult) bird. Weighed in at 23lbs, 9” beard, and 1” spurs. 

Overall an awesome experience this morning and I was already hooked...but now this is my new addiction. 

Glad I got one but now so bummed that it’s over haha.

Good luck out there to everyone and congrats to those that have scored on the gobblers. Going to roost some tonight and then just sit in the blind and teach my son how to call. What a blast!

4/22/20 @ 4:12 PM
joeywadu
User since 5/13/02

Awesome birds guys

..way to get after them gobblers...seems like getting between them and the roost was how a bunch got killed first season...warm weather will heat things up....thanks for all the reports and pics...I'll be out again next week trying for one of the big ole boss Tom's...lots of birds...good luck to all who have hunts coming up.

Wadu

4/22/20 @ 2:38 PM
Vermeeson
Vermeeson
User since 1/22/02

Friday 4/17 got this fella sneaking back to the roost. Out with 4 hens and had serious lock jaw. Never heard him gobble at all. Fortunate enough to have geography on my side, but had to crawl a dozen yards to stay below the brush line that he was 75 yards from. I was amazed at how close the deer on the field and the turkeys tolerated each other. Pasted him at about 25 yards, 23lbs, 10"beard, 3/4 spurs. With all the winds, I'll settle for an ambush but you sure cannot beat a tom sounding off and strutting in to find true love....

4/22/20 @ 12:19 PM
RangerKid
User since 6/26/01

Kind of tough first period in zone 1, with cold weather and lots of wind. Also very little talking after fly down. Intercepted this one heading back to his roost. 

4/22/20 @ 8:23 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Hen 5 yards, between me and decoy.  No tom.

4/22/20 @ 7:12 AM
IceFishBaby
User since 11/26/01

Gobbling on the ground this morning.  Haven't seen a bird yet.

4/21/20 @ 10:41 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

Tuna and castle,

Nice for both of you! Thanks for posting the pics. Hopefully I can add one in third season.

Tim

4/21/20 @ 4:34 PM
castle rock rigger
User since 12/9/12

Got this guy after 3 days of self quarentine in the woods of Adam's county. Only tom I saw. Called him in with my trusty 22 year old box call.

4/21/20 @ 1:20 PM
TunaBoat
TunaBoat
PRO MEMBER User since 4/11/02

Got this last day gobbler at 6:30 this morning, zone 2 public land.  Grateful I didn't have to sit out there any longer then that  as it was colder than a well diggers arse out there.  I had hunted every morning of the season.  Had a tom coming in on Friday morning but he hung up out of range when he saw my decoy and that was that.  This turkey weighed 22 lbs but felt like 50 by the time I got back  to my truck.   I had to wear hip boots and cross about 100 yds of marsh to get to my hot spot.  LOL

Congrats to everyone else.  Good luck to those yet to hunt.  Tunaboat.

4/21/20 @ 10:17 AM
FullDraw05
User since 10/10/17

Congrats to all success!! I had a very exciting first season, called in multiple toms on every hunt, one occasion i got within 10 yards of a group of 4, but they would not come over the rise and after 2 hours, my impatience got the best of me and i tried to make a move, but spooked them. Birds always hung up at 60-80 yards off the roost the rest of the season, but gobbling their heads off, very cool! This morning I tried one last time before work and didn't hear a peep off the roost, not sure if the storm messed them up or not, but very very quiet. Tags for 3-6 seasons to go, so plenty of time yet. 

4/20/20 @ 9:15 AM
joeywadu
User since 5/13/02

After sitting morning and night with the exception of yesterday...my dad redeemed himself from his misses on wednesday morning....we are tagged out for the 1st season....this morning was finally the first sign I've seen of massive breeding behavior..we had a huge old tom w a hen on a wood line 250 yards away. He was strutting and gobbling w her for an hour  until 2 young guns came along and tried to run him off and steal the hen..they chased the big boy out of town but as the 2 2 year olds were chasing him off the field they lost the hen but saw our decoy spread of 2 hens..I called like crazy to break them off the big boy and they finally strutted into our spread..game over 25lbs 3/4 " spurs and 8 inch bird..not bad for a 79 year old..I feel blessed to have him with me...good luck to all...I'll be out again 3rd season.

Wadu

Displaying 46 to 60 of 87 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE