LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year!

3/4/16 @ 7:15 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Anyone else pumped to fish in March? Sitting on 16 inches of ice in 45 degree weather is always a nice thing. However, not sure how long the ice will last down south and even up here, we'll have to make it past the next twelve days before it cools down again. Might not last too long this year. Might go very quick. But, plenty out there now and it's a great time of year to fish. Anyone else pumped to be in the March ice fishing period?
Displaying 46 to 60 of 144 posts
2/24/22 @ 12:39 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Looks to be a fishable March down here, n.pike.  At least the first 2 weeks, for sure. Bass Abductor and I have a couple jumbo perch outings planned. The bass fishing can be phenomenal on certain lakes, with the catch and release season we now have. Last year, had a bad day fishing for Jumbos,  only caught one. But released 28 smallmouth and 5 largemouth that day, it was a blast. Had a couple "tripples" on my own lines (2 tip downs and a jigging rod)

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year! photo by jaybeeturtle
March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year! photo by jaybeeturtle
2/20/22 @ 12:12 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Yeah, up north our upcoming "warm up" has really settled down and it's just cold, cold, cold in the forecast.  Should be fishing well into April this year. Like usual. But, things can go quickly. Seen that before. Hope you guys in Southern wi. get a extended period well into March this year! Then, after that, come up here where the ice is very stubborn and just seems to hold on well past the point that you think it would. Especially on the big lakes. I've had many times where I say, "This is it," but in my mind I'm thinking of how to get out one more time. And usually, i do!

2/18/22 @ 12:32 PM
tzeilstra
User since 8/4/08

Duck, those 40s have now turned to 30s and the end of the ice season is looking ideal around here, as long as this Sunday's 50 degree temps and strong winds don't wreak too much havoc. 

2/11/22 @ 2:56 PM
DuckSlayin88
User since 9/13/11

Hope we get more of a March ice fishing season here in southern WI this year. Last year the season came to an end quickly.

Dont like all the 40s in the forecasts for late February right now.

4/6/21 @ 10:22 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
No worries Jaybee. We are done. It went quick the last few days....Sorry to hear about the guy that never made it to shore. 
4/6/21 @ 6:42 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Time to be really careful up there, guys. I remember a long time expert ice fisherman, name not to be revealed,  went out with a group one March, ice was fine in the morning. 60 degree day. In the evening,  2 people went thru the ice on the way back. One guy never made it back to shore

4/5/21 @ 6:13 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Interesting posts by both Jaybee and Fishloveme. I will say this. The more you fish ice, the more you learn ice. It's one of those things. No book could explain. NO video could show. You just have to get out on the ice and make mental observations every time you are out there. You start to know what is safe, and what is not. There are factors and conditions and ice colors that just scream "Danger". Low temps the night before can really make a difference. And, knowing a body of water year to year is key. And, how deep you are makes the risk factor go up or down.. 

Jaybee is the expert at knowing late ice. I agree about late ice. Can go from fishing, to no ice in a day or two with just the right conditions. I think we've all (on this thread) been in cases where we crossed open water to get to the shelf or we fished near open water...Late ice is so fun because it's warm and at times the fish just bite well. and, it's the last of the last, so it's almost like a bonus opportunity. 

Gotta be safe. We all know that. And, late ice can be really enjoyable and safe right to the last couple of days if you are smart about it. 

4/5/21 @ 2:44 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

jaybeetle, I'm with you on that.  There's a spot 2 miles from my house that's only 2 feet deep that I've walked on an inch and three quarters once and it held me up....barely! I'm over 300 pounds too, so I really learned that day how strong the ice can be. That same day I was talking to a little guy who was out there that weighed maybe 150 pounds, if that, and he said he walked out there on that spot on year on three quarters of an inch of ice! That ice broke as soon as you hit it hard - I have no idea how it supported him!  This year I also stepped on ice that was more rotten than I had ever been on. It was 8 inches thick but sank as I walked on it.  I carefully walked to not make much of a wave and listened to the ice, making sure it didn't buckle when I was walking.  The chisel never went through when I was making 3 cracks on it, so I was pretty sure it would still hold me up.  Again, that spot was only 3 feet deep.  I would never go much deeper that that on first ice or last ice with the above descriptions! 3 inches minimum to go in water over my head at fist ice, and last ice I want a good foot of it if it's that honeycombed ice!

4/5/21 @ 1:30 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

There was a year not too long ago, that I was ice fishing the day before deer gun season in Waukesha County.  Yeah,  probably people wouldn't do it way up north . 2.25 inches of clear ice. You guys up there just wait a couple days and it gets thick. Down here, we fish as soon as we can, because sometimes it warms up and ice is bad for 2-3 weeks. 

I draw the line at 8 inches of  late ice. That stuff can get dangerous so fast. Ice fished my last lake,  12 inch of ice in the morning,  next day at noon, had to leave, was completely sinking

4/5/21 @ 12:16 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Interesting story get the net. I just think in southern Wi the season is so short that guys are willing to take a few more risks in order to do what they love to do. I am always surprised up here that people generally don't go on the ice until about 6 inches. Part of that has to do with deer hunting season often interesting with early ice season. 

4/2/21 @ 2:59 PM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13

you are spot on with that observation pike. My dad and brother live in Eau Claire & their ice fishing doesn't start until they can drive  truck up to the spot. I live (unfortunately) in Northern Illinois, and we never get to drive on. LOL. In fact driving on in a truck rather freaks me out..... I'd almost rather walk. Night & day for sure. Good job on working it to the end, it's my favorite time to get out, we had the lake to ourselves the one day we were out. 

4/1/21 @ 9:23 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

An observation over the years. Guys in the southern  part of the state are so much more tolerant of early and late ice. Not saying it’s right or wrong. Just an observation. But at the lake we were at today, if that were Puckaway for example, you probably have ATVs on it.  Granted, Puckaway is shallow. This lake was deep. So maybe not. But it is interesting how much different the mentality is in the southern half versus the northern part of the state as far as early and late ice and how early or late people are willing to go out in general. 

4/1/21 @ 5:13 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Thanks Jaybee.  Hope you catch fish this weekend. Water temp should be around 50 by you guys by then right?

Got out one more time today. No fish but good to get out.  A guy could probably go out tomorrow morning. But after that, probably not a good idea. 

It’s been agonizing in March to see the forecast constantly get warmer and warmer. What I thought would be a long ice fishing season in the spring was pretty short up here. But I’m glad for these last couple trips. It got colder just in time to allow a few more trips. 

Near the end of the ice season my motto is, “if I can ice fish safely today, I can ice fish tomorrow,” Not that I go out every day, far from it, but that motto works every day but one. I think I’m at that day!! 

3/29/21 @ 7:20 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Loved the pix, n.pike.  The moon shot was especially cool.  Nice to see ice in pictures,  it's open water everywhere here. But I will be catching fish this weekend,  so I'll be happy about that

3/28/21 @ 10:51 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Got to another lake today. 12 inches of ice consistently. Not a great bite, but turned on at the end. Cold and windy. Cold nights have really helped. Tomorrow will hurt the ice a lot. 

Displaying 46 to 60 of 144 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE