LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year!

3/4/16 @ 7:15 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Anyone else pumped to fish in March? Sitting on 16 inches of ice in 45 degree weather is always a nice thing. However, not sure how long the ice will last down south and even up here, we'll have to make it past the next twelve days before it cools down again. Might not last too long this year. Might go very quick. But, plenty out there now and it's a great time of year to fish. Anyone else pumped to be in the March ice fishing period?
Displaying 76 to 90 of 144 posts
3/12/21 @ 7:26 AM
old phart
Fish Hound
User since 1/29/02

Agreed, last Saturday we fished with ATV's and commented on how well the lake had held up so far, this weekend you could back a boat in the launch at the same lake. That was WAY to fast!

3/11/21 @ 5:08 PM
DuckSlayin88
User since 9/13/11
Wish I could say that I enjoyed March ice fishing this year, but the window was so small here in southern WI. I don't doubt there is still ice fishing out there to be had, but its over for me. Places I was on last weekend with ATV are open water now. 
3/11/21 @ 3:27 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Did get some nice fish the last day, sorry to see the season end. The 12 to 15 inch smallmouth were slamming the spoon, that was fun!

3/11/21 @ 3:16 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Amazing how fast the ice can go bad. Fished here yesterday morning.  Towards noon, ice got that bad color and big chunks busting up as I was drilling.  So I called it a season. Today, high winds broke up and sank the ice some areas of the lake. Looks like I will be kayaking this weekend 

3/9/21 @ 10:27 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Thanks for the report Jaybee. 

One thing I've noticed in March. When they say there's going to be a warm up-they almost always undershoot what actually happens. I doubt anyone predicted a week ago that it would be 68 degrees in Waukesha County today. YIKES. Horrible for the ice.

3/9/21 @ 8:49 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Waukesha County report.

Was 68 degrees today. North side access is going bad . Was 13 to 14 inch ice yesterday,  12 today, for the lakes I was on. 3 inch of hard ice at the bottom yesterday,  today, soft ice from top to bottom.  

If you can take off work,  call in sick,  or play hooky, do it. Ice may be dangerous by this weekend.  

And heck, panfishing was tough for me too. It was a struggle to get a meal of 8 keepers the last 2 days

3/9/21 @ 8:05 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

You’re right!!   I’m catching a few perch but not 1 crappie or Gill this March!    Usually I pound them this time of year.

3/9/21 @ 4:01 PM
Carpio
Carpio
PRO MEMBER User since 11/5/17

I’m going to wait a few more days to see if I can stretch it out then head to Florida for a few days, see if I can time the ice out. CARPIO 

3/8/21 @ 11:39 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I love your attitude. I think less than 5 percent of ice fisherman still are at it late - late ice. I've been on the ice a number of times when just about every one else has quit or is fishing open water. And, usually it's fine. Sometimes even good. There are a few others that do this too...but Each lake and year is different. 

Now, I have fallen in twice!!! Late ice. So, it's not without risk. Both times were shallow water, but over my belt line. I don't do deep water late ice. 

I've also done the Johnboat trick. Get to the main shelf and things are surprisingly fine. Looks horrible to people walking by, but 10 inches of solid ice is sometimes waiting and I've found that if the previous night and day have been cool and cloudy, it's pretty firm ice. Gotta just be smart and shallow I like to say! And it’s pretty obvious when the ice gets rotten or bad. That’s when it’s time to quit!

And there is always that “one more chance to get out”  in my mind...But one has to know when to fold his cards. Sometimes that’s hard for me to Accept! 

3/8/21 @ 2:51 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I was fishing on 15+ inches here in Madison over the weekend.  I still had a few spots that just about buried my auger, so there's quite a bit of ice left.  Both spots I accessed the ice over the weekend still had snow on the shorelines.  So I would think that it's got to melt the snow even before it melts the ice near shore.  I'm planning on going somewhere Saturday as of right now.  I'll bring a board with wherever I go and hope for the best.  I know there will still be ice here, it's just whether or not I can get to it, that I can't predict.  Average ice out is about the 20th of March here, but those last two weeks the ice is still on the lake we usually can't get to it!

3/8/21 @ 7:46 AM
Junkie4Ice
Junkie4Ice
User since 12/19/11
Long term forecast is looking good for mid-april ice in the Hayward area. Had 24" of solid ice with a good layer of snow on top of that still. Slush is getting bad, spent an hour or so digging out my truck after burying it on the drive out. It'll me ATV or walking for me from now on. 
3/8/21 @ 7:39 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

You should be totally fine with ice in late March. Northern Wisconsin. I plan to fish into April. Once this warm-up is done, it’s getting much cooler. Takes a long time to melt 20 inches.

Low temperatures are looking really good starting in just three days from now.

3/7/21 @ 10:02 PM
bring on the ice
User since 2/9/17

Definitely pumped. Fished the last hard water here in northern Illinois tonight. If I had time, I could probably find some place safe down here to fish tomorrow...or even the next day, but all bets are off when the rain hits in the middle of the week. I have time off planned for ice fishing northern Minnesota (or maybe northern Wisconsin) at the end of March. Not sure if the ice anywhere will survive to that time, though. If that happens, I'll go from pumped to bummed.

3/7/21 @ 3:25 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Good for you Jaybee! 

So where are you guys at in southern Wisconsin as far as ice now? If you have 14 inches, I would think that other than the shorelines -the base would still hold true at least a week. But, I know late  ice could be fickle.  I just remember many days in southern Wisconsin with my hip waiters wading out to the ice. Then once I was on the shelf, it was fine. Seems like it holds on a little longer than people expect if one really wants to get out there and Knows a safe way to do it.

3/7/21 @ 9:45 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Probably the last week of safe ice coming up in Waukesha county. Taking a week off work. Wife and daughter are going to Cabo. I'm going ice fishing. So that's where my priorities are, I guess 

Displaying 76 to 90 of 144 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE