LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year!

3/4/16 @ 7:15 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Anyone else pumped to fish in March? Sitting on 16 inches of ice in 45 degree weather is always a nice thing. However, not sure how long the ice will last down south and even up here, we'll have to make it past the next twelve days before it cools down again. Might not last too long this year. Might go very quick. But, plenty out there now and it's a great time of year to fish. Anyone else pumped to be in the March ice fishing period?
Displaying 31 to 45 of 144 posts
3/13/22 @ 6:36 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

We actually gained ice in Waukesha County the last week.  No snow on the ice helped alot. Ice House  bay on Okauchee Lake had 17 to18 inches today

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year! photo by jaybeeturtle
3/13/22 @ 11:28 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Agree! Let’s enjoy what we have. 

Looks like the temperature will regulate downward after the warm-up Wednesday. Should give us some more time. Depending on where someone lives. 

3/13/22 @ 9:18 AM
thurston
User since 12/13/09

Here it comes n.pike, here it comes. My favorite time of the year right up there along with the rut. Hope it does end too soon. 

3/12/22 @ 5:20 PM
LAN690
User since 10/17/21

fri 3-11 I fished blackhawk in Grant Co.  Ice was like midwinter, no deterioration at all.  Got some dinks with a couple keepers mixed in.

3/12/22 @ 12:07 AM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Ice probably going  a lot faster than I had hoped. Plenty still in Northern Wi. Heading down to Central Wi on Wednesday for a fun trip. Was going to wait until the weekend, but had to move it up. Seems to go Trucks, ATVs, then walking only. That's when fishing can be really fun, during that walking only stage.

3/10/22 @ 12:39 AM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

I don't know about that, Reg. We had 15 inch ice in Waukesha County today. Plenty of people on Pewaukee Lake. A couple trucks on a nearby lake even, although I would not recommend that anymore 

3/7/22 @ 7:02 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

Northern IL and southern WI appear to be done.  Chain was lots of open water yesterday and a few lakes in Kenosha and Walworth had nobody on them when I drove by.  Be safe and smart

3/6/22 @ 7:57 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Lots of cold nights coming,  I'm thinking ice fishing in Waukesha County for 2 more weeks at least. The south side access will go bad first. Lake I was on today, 16 inch solid ice, shoreline ok on south side, but that will be the first to go. Took home 10 perch for a fish fry, no tip up out for bass today

3/5/22 @ 5:54 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

Bonus day to be out yesterday in southern Wi.  Fished with a great group of guys on and lots of big crappies.  Going back today for hopefully the last day of ice fishing.

3/3/22 @ 3:54 PM
arthur1957
arthur1957
User since 6/24/01

Regjoe,

We have zero snow in northern IL. Edges will go fast. Olson Lake at Rock Cut park already has open water at shore. Already had a fatality in Lake County this week. I don't know any lakes well enough to trust it. A friend fished a small pond Sunday with 10" of ice. Tuesday it was already down to 5". With no rain, and extremely low river levels. I am going to hit the banks and try for some river walleye. 

3/3/22 @ 2:20 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

I’ll admit, I know nothing about the ice in Southern Wi this year, other than you have really good ice. However, from my experience, ice is so stubborn every year and usually lasts longer than most imagine. I gotta think you’ll have fishable Ice in southern Wi on many waters until at least mid March. Some will go quicker. You just gotta know the water you are on. 

To build ice- think of all the days it never hit 32. The nights below zero. Week after week. Now, things are warming up, but the ice holds on for a long time and from my observations, really only loses about A half inch at a time.  I’ve had years I’m on 20 inches of ice. We get a few warm days or rain. I go back. It’s 18 inches now. A slow melt process at times. And keep in mind-some  days have a high of 50, but the nights are below freezing and it might be below freezing until 9 AM and hit 50 degrees for just one hour of that day.  The worst is when the nights have lows of 40 or more! At the very end of the season, when ice is rotten, then it can go from 8 inches to zero very quickly.  And the 8 inches is not always a good 8 inches. (But sometimes 8 inches is not rotten and can be just fine)

The key is to know the lake or water you are on and to be smart. If you can fish the same water and keep on top of conditions- even better. Some waters get unsafe real quick! Others are much more reliable.

Rain doesn’t seem to hurt ice as much as sun in my opinion. A cold rain is fine. Warm rain not good. I wouldn’t worry about wind until the shorelines are very exposed. Shorelines might go soon, but if a person is willing to put on hip boots or just get wet for a few feet, the main shelves should be good for a while. Granted, there is some risk with late ice and for some people, the risk is not worth it.  I can totally respect that. But late ice is so fun and can be done safely if people know the waters they are on and are smart about things. Jaybee and I probably think similar on this as he’s down south and I’m up north. We both know when to say when. But I can honestly say I’m on ice until at least mid April almost every year up here. 

3/3/22 @ 10:56 AM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

On the Madison chain I bet we'll have ice for 3 more weekends. Whether or not I can find a place to get on by shore will all depend on how well the shorelines hold up.  March 20th, give or take a few days is usually when we have ice out here.  The ice is still as thick as 20 inches in some areas, so it'll be a while.  the 50 degree temps with rain will affect the shoreline the most. The rest should be fine for a while.

3/3/22 @ 6:59 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

This weekend should be it for southern WI and northern IL.  with 50-60F highs.

3/2/22 @ 9:55 PM
machoprogrammer
User since 1/19/07

And the heavy wind Sunday will only compound it

3/2/22 @ 4:53 PM
tzeilstra
User since 8/4/08

jaybee - I think you jinxed us. 60 degrees and heavy rain/thunderstorms on Saturday is going to bring an abrupt end to the ice fishing season. 

Displaying 31 to 45 of 144 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE