LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Ice Fishing

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year!

3/4/16 @ 7:15 PM
INITIAL POST
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02
Anyone else pumped to fish in March? Sitting on 16 inches of ice in 45 degree weather is always a nice thing. However, not sure how long the ice will last down south and even up here, we'll have to make it past the next twelve days before it cools down again. Might not last too long this year. Might go very quick. But, plenty out there now and it's a great time of year to fish. Anyone else pumped to be in the March ice fishing period?
Displaying 16 to 30 of 144 posts
3/23/22 @ 10:45 AM
doorman
clueless
User since 10/24/04

It looks like in northern Wi we will be fishing well into April. Glad I got out 5 x last week when temps were in the 40s/50s. No temps like that in the long range forecast.

3/19/22 @ 6:20 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Got  out today in Vilas county. 22 inches of ice about. Really good ice too. Panfish bite was very good. JB turtle, good for you going to the end. Glad you only fell in shallow water.

3/19/22 @ 5:38 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Like last year, Ice  certainly going bad amazingly fast in Waukesha County.  I'm calling it a season down here. Got soaked to the waist walking off the lake. Was still 10 inch ice main lake, but my auger with dull blades cut thru the  top 6 inches like butter, only 4 inch of hard ice below 

3/19/22 @ 7:05 AM
Regjoe
User since 2/7/06

GOING TO TRY ONE LAST TIME ON FRIDAY IN THREE LAKES IF WE CAN GET OUT.

3/17/22 @ 8:54 AM
hockeyguy39
User since 8/24/07

Tried Puckaway on Tuesday afternoon 1-7 with a couple buddies.  9 boards out and only one snake hit the ice.  Had a few flags and one buddy lost one right after hookset.  Said he'd never felt as strong a pull on a tip up before.  Water was really cloudy, so I have a feeling that didn't help us out at all.  Gorgeous day to be out though!

3/16/22 @ 11:28 PM
n.pike
n.pike
User since 4/2/02

Got out to Puckaway today. 11 - 18 inches of ice. Very nice to be out. No problem walking on.  A bit mushy on the way off. Love ice fishing in March!

3/16/22 @ 8:16 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Fished lake Onalaska this afternoon for a few hours.

68 degress with a high sun. Over dressed in a hoodie. Slow bite but wow was it warm standing on the ice cube.

17" of ice but walking on getting sketchy. 

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year! photo by Fowler2
March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year! photo by Fowler2
3/16/22 @ 7:58 PM
clueless
User since 10/24/04

Another great day. Wind was tough but it got to 55. Should have several more weeks in the north woods.

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year! photo by clueless
3/16/22 @ 5:09 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Thurston, I get those jig holders at most bait shops, and even WalMart I think, and possibly Cabela's.  They're usually black but I've found them in a couple of other colors as well.  Beaver Dam puts one on every one of their tipups now to hold the hook.  They work great!

3/16/22 @ 12:39 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

Dang, sun and upper 60's today,  bad combination.  Some north side access getting bad already.  Going to have to hit the shady south and west access spots from now on

3/15/22 @ 9:45 AM
thurston
User since 12/13/09

Hey fishloveme. Your jig rod looks like mine including the rubber bands but where did you get the hook saver from?

3/14/22 @ 10:04 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Probably my last time out in Southern Wisconsin this morning, but what a way to end it!  One of my biggest bluegills ever and definitely my biggest through the ice! I didn't have a tape measure with me, but I measured the rod handle at 7.5 inches when I got home and this fish was easily 2.5 inches past the rod handle when stretched out!

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year! photo by Fishlovme
March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year! photo by Fishlovme
3/14/22 @ 9:14 PM
Get.the.net
User since 12/30/13

Took my mid-march trip, tons of ice yet drill barely made it through, people driving on the lakes, + 20" ice yet. North central wisco. Gave a few crappies a ride to the top.

cheers.

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year! photo by Get.the.net
3/14/22 @ 8:12 PM
jaybeeturtle
User since 3/17/06

The catch and release bass season can be alot of fun in March! The bite can be crazy on certain lakes. This afternoon,  caught 18 smallmouth and 5 largemouth on a Waukesha County lake. Used small perch color spoons. 11 smallmouth were legal size,  but nothing bigger than 16 inches 

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year! photo by jaybeeturtle
3/14/22 @ 8:07 PM
clueless
User since 10/24/04

Great day, the snow stayed south and virtually no wind and 39. Kept some perch also caught 4 snakes on my jig rod. 4fow. 

March Ice Fishing, My favorite time of year! photo by clueless
Displaying 16 to 30 of 144 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE