SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Asparagus

4/14/15 @ 9:36 PM
INITIAL POST
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
Just wondering who picks and when you start picking. For some great reason I get a kick out of it. Last year was more of a learning opportunity and I was fairly discouraged. However, I stuck with it and managed to map out/mark on a GPS over 300 areas with plants on different road around my house...Hoping this is the ticket.
Displaying 76 to 90 of 106 posts
4/18/17 @ 1:12 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

I picked four nice spears this morning also. .will go good with dinner tomorrow

8/4/16 @ 10:18 PM
crawdaddy
User since 7/11/01

Tilling mainly keeps the weeds down.  Want a bigger patch?  Plant more plants.  Take care of them.  Mulch and preen in spring.  Little bit of lime.   Fertilize 2 to 3 times a year.  Keep it watered even after you are finished picking for season.  I would save the seeds from the berries and plant them then add them to my patch after 3 years.  Also check around base of existing plants for seedlings.  Replant in a row and baby them, them add to patch in 2 to 3 years.

8/2/16 @ 11:56 AM
snkskgb
User since 7/14/08

Any thoughts on how to get a patch to expand? I heard you could till it, and this would help spread the roots????

5/23/16 @ 6:40 PM
Hika Jupa
Hika Jupa
User since 5/6/09

I'm finally seeing a lot of shoots coming up but most are poor quality.  Buggy and just bad looking.  The recent heat got it all going but without any rain it all seems to be suffering.  Worst year I've seen anyway.

5/22/16 @ 5:17 PM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10

Today's  take 

5/1/16 @ 1:16 PM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10
Ok, found a 1/3 lb . Most spots ain't grown yet
4/30/16 @ 12:14 PM
AllDayIDreamAboutSmallies
PRO MEMBER User since 3/14/06
We've cooked our "ditchweed" on the grill, but that's as close as it's come to an open flame! Never burnt it, must be tough to light. LOL!!
4/30/16 @ 6:48 AM
PRO MEMBER User since 3/14/06
We found some yesterday. If you have any spots that have 6" of grass or less and gets sun most of the day, check them! It's just starting!! Have a fun season!!!
4/28/16 @ 5:32 PM
cabinbum
User since 4/1/10
i am in fond du lac co. my neighbors and i all have enjoyed our first batch this year. also, this is garden grass not ditch weed. and yes ,the cool temps has stopped growth in its tracks.
4/28/16 @ 3:01 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
It started in my garden but this cooler weather put a halt to any growth. One was maybe 3" but the rest were just starting to come up. Central WI.
4/27/16 @ 2:41 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
Wild asparagus grows along roadways and ditches so that's the best place to find it in my opinion. Field edges and clearings are also great spots. Basically anywhere that gets a lot of sunlight. Best way to find asparagus is to locate spots in the summer or fall when the plant is tall, seeded, and bushy, and remember those spots for next year. It also helps to look for last years dead dried up stalks rather than trying to find green spears mixed with green grass. It is coming up here south of Chicago, but not at full force yet, so you Wisconsin guys might have a little bit of wait still.
4/27/16 @ 12:25 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Ok now you have peeked my curiosity. I don't want your personal spots, but what type of area is good to look for when searching for Wild Asparagus.
4/26/16 @ 5:47 PM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10
IS IT REALLY THAT TIME. IVE CHECKED A FEW HOT SPOTS IN JEFFERSON COUNTY AND SEEN NOTHING YET.
4/25/16 @ 3:30 PM
cabinbum
User since 4/1/10
its that time. will be cutting some in the morning. Big Smile
6/28/15 @ 6:21 PM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10
All taken roadside! Thought most of the pickin was done? My wife found a handful on a walk today, then we took a drive to check a few spots!! Very happy!
Displaying 76 to 90 of 106 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE