SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Asparagus

4/14/15 @ 9:36 PM
INITIAL POST
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
Just wondering who picks and when you start picking. For some great reason I get a kick out of it. Last year was more of a learning opportunity and I was fairly discouraged. However, I stuck with it and managed to map out/mark on a GPS over 300 areas with plants on different road around my house...Hoping this is the ticket.
Displaying 46 to 60 of 106 posts
5/5/21 @ 7:43 AM
fishing_5
User since 3/5/18

Fishlovme.... that is absolutely legal. typically a 33' right of way from centerline of road, that 33' is "Dedicated to the Public" in most cases

5/5/21 @ 5:52 AM
nekoos
User since 12/10/09

i need to find me some wild asparagus, havent been lucky to find a spot the few times ive gone looking. have some growing in the garden but after 4 yrs still no mature plants to harvest.

5/4/21 @ 10:32 PM
b-nob
User since 2/27/09

this is one of those depends where your at questions and who is responsible for mowing that ditch, if they ask you to leave i'd just go on to the next spot

5/4/21 @ 8:39 PM
waltereye sr.
User since 6/25/01

Absolutely legal. We don't pick in front of people's homes though,  as we figure they are cutting already. Good luck

5/4/21 @ 2:27 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

Does anyone know if it's legal to pick wild asparagus within the road right of way?  I had a lady on Facebook claim to me that I am trespassing if I pick within the road right of way, and that she owns to the centerline of the road.  I knew about ownership, but I thought within the road right of way there are certain rights?  

Anyhow, I've been finding some in my usual spots alongside the roadways, but a few spots I've normally gotten some didn't have any yet.

4/24/21 @ 9:17 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

Picked my first meals worth right before the freeze.. this is the second year in a row that I lost some to a late freeze.  Quite a bit looking through now and next weeks warmth and rain should really get things going

6/2/20 @ 12:13 PM
ole 870
User since 6/27/01

Does anyone know what the official laws are for picking ditch asparagus in Wisconsin? Does it vary by county, by roadway, or what? Some people are very protective of their so-called "private ditch patch" and I was just wondering who is in the right or wrong.

5/31/20 @ 11:26 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme

I also picked some wild asparagus just last weekend.  A lot of patches I know of along the side of the road were too tall already, but I found some, enough to make two meals.  I picked asparagus in my raised bed for the last time tonight, I'll now let it grow for the year.

5/30/20 @ 8:02 PM
Formerly the big guy
PRO MEMBER User since 10/3/11

Between yesterday and today I picked enough for a meal. A lot of the asparagus has gone to seed. These were wild off the side of the road. We're in central Wisconsin.

5/29/19 @ 12:23 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
I'm in my third year of growing some in a 4'x4' raised bed.  I have 3 rows, 4 plants in each row, 3 different varities.  In between the rows I planted strawberries to allow for less weeding. So far so good.  I'm just about done picking for the year now.  I got about 4 or 5 pickings.  Should have been more but the weather has been so screwy this year!
5/7/19 @ 10:45 AM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10

picked 1/2lb yesterday. most spots either they were just poppin thru or nothing.

4/28/19 @ 6:40 AM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

Southern rock  county 

4/26/19 @ 10:02 PM
budman1987
User since 1/19/03

Picked my first round today about 10 spears lots more poking through

6/1/18 @ 2:11 PM
mapper
User since 1/4/02

Having a great year with the asparagus patch. However, having a terrible time with asparagus beetles. Never have had them before and no idea where they came from. I've been picking them off as I cut the stalks. Only able to get a third of them at best this way. Very small and very quick to jump off and hide in the ground. Can't wait to be done harvesting and give those little devils what they have coming!

Mapper

5/31/18 @ 5:26 PM
wack
wack'em & stack'em
User since 3/13/10

Stalks are getting tall! Movin fast 

Displaying 46 to 60 of 106 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE