SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Asparagus

4/14/15 @ 9:36 PM
INITIAL POST
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
Just wondering who picks and when you start picking. For some great reason I get a kick out of it. Last year was more of a learning opportunity and I was fairly discouraged. However, I stuck with it and managed to map out/mark on a GPS over 300 areas with plants on different road around my house...Hoping this is the ticket.
Displaying 16 to 30 of 106 posts
6/5/22 @ 5:43 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

got 1 pound 6 ounces today probably the last picking I wasnt going to go because last week I got a lot and we blanched and froze it. I didnt have much to do today so I went to get some burdock and checked my spots

6/4/22 @ 8:25 PM
Formerly the big guy
PRO MEMBER User since 10/3/11

Picked today 6-4-22 walking around by my house. Only found enough for a small meal. Will look somemore next week.

5/30/22 @ 5:55 PM
Formerly the big guy
PRO MEMBER User since 10/3/11

Picked asparagus today 5-30-22 driving back roads on the way home from the store, Got about a dozen stalks. The other 2 times I picked I got about 20 each time. Will probably get out a couple more times before it's over.

5/23/22 @ 2:53 PM
MarquetteCtyOutdoorsman
MarquetteCtyOutdoorsman
User since 10/13/05

Picked 5+ pounds this weekend in the Montello area.  Great time.  Gave us 6 bags in the freezer.  Just tastes a little different than the store bought.  Look forward to it each May!

1/19/22 @ 8:57 AM
river_chaser
User since 10/3/12

I do experience the competition when looking for asparagus in the roadside ditch.  The more pressing issue though is the abundance of poison ivy.  If anyone wants asparagus they have to wade through the ivy first - I always wear knee boots and wash good when i get home

1/19/22 @ 5:37 AM
goju
User since 12/30/10

Tails,  No that would be more like when you find a nice honey hole and someone anchors in front of you completely cutting you off.  Public waters so he can anchor anywhere he wants, right?  

1/15/22 @ 8:30 PM
tailsneyes
User since 11/29/19

Is that like the guy on public land shot MY buck? Public property 1st come 1st take.

1/15/22 @ 4:15 PM
goju
User since 12/30/10

Just a heads up.   A lot of the roadside patches are "spoken for."  Around where I live picking these patches can lead to confrontations.  

1/13/22 @ 1:16 PM
mystery fish-n-sea
mystery fish-n-sea
User since 4/10/10

https://www.tiktok.com/@playinhookysportfishing/video/6922970906428017925?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1

A little fun I had whilst picking asparagus about a year and a half ago. :)

7/29/21 @ 12:58 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

I cut mine to the ground last year after the first major freeze of the year because I had a lot of those beetles last year eating most of the foliage off them.  This year I only had a few beetles return so I think it helped.  I'll do the same this year, cutting it after it dies.  I think you can cut it without any problems as soon as it freezes but I've seen wild asparagus grow back even in the fall when the ditches' grass is getting cut in July and August

7/27/21 @ 8:24 AM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

We normally do not cut them as you state but, the worms ate all the foliage , and I read they would lay eggs in the stems near the ground area of the stem . Again hopefully what I did will prevent the worms next year .

7/26/21 @ 3:12 PM
oncebitten
oncebitten
User since 12/7/17

7th

Hopefully is right.

I have heard and read that you should never cut or harvest all of them thay need some foliage to get through the winter. I lost a few good sized crowns just because I wanted to move them to a bigger location what a loss.

7/26/21 @ 10:42 AM
7thson
User since 6/4/06

Just discovered asparagus beetles on my plants . The little black worms were eating all the fronds off of the plants . Did what you suggested but, took it a step further and removed the growth at ground level and removed the plants . Hopefully this will allow for next springs crop to return . Any thoughts / suggestions ?

5/31/21 @ 5:43 AM
Sylvain Guy
PRO MEMBER User since 7/6/01

Asparagus beetles is correct, hit them with sevin dust.

5/28/21 @ 5:10 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

Got twenty today mostly large female tops that havent started to get thin with all the little branches still a pretty good day no one else has hit my spots and a few of the ones that are late came up again I'm sure the rain helped.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 106 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE