SEARCH
MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Asparagus

4/14/15 @ 9:36 PM
INITIAL POST
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
Just wondering who picks and when you start picking. For some great reason I get a kick out of it. Last year was more of a learning opportunity and I was fairly discouraged. However, I stuck with it and managed to map out/mark on a GPS over 300 areas with plants on different road around my house...Hoping this is the ticket.
Displaying 31 to 45 of 106 posts
5/26/21 @ 9:41 PM
Fishlovme
Fishlovme
PRO MEMBER User since 6/22/01

All the spots I pick wild asparagus have started to go to seed.  It's been so dry here and overall too warm.  The stuff in my backyard grew 2 feet in about 2 days.  Also I noticed some small red bugs on some of the stalks.  Anyone know how to eradicate those?  Not sure if those are asparagus beetles, or something else.

5/26/21 @ 11:21 AM
Formerly the big guy
PRO MEMBER User since 10/3/11

Driving home from the store yesterday I went the back way got 20 stalks. Don't do this often but will try more often. Most of the stalks were nice and thick.

5/25/21 @ 3:52 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

got 16 more today that rain we had up here helped a lot

5/23/21 @ 6:55 PM
Huntinfish831
User since 12/28/18

Picked about 20 today in the rain

Asparagus photo by Huntinfish831
5/23/21 @ 10:28 AM
Huntinfish831
User since 12/28/18

Picked about 30 spears yesterday. The rain definitely helped. Manitowoc county.

5/23/21 @ 10:28 AM
Walli Guy
User since 7/27/14

still picking wild and from the garden here in WC IL. thought it was about done but we've got almost 5 inches of rain in the last two weeks. found two dozen spears in a wild spot yesterday, hard to see with the grass and weeds getting tall.

asparagus and venison filets on the grill this afternoon!

5/23/21 @ 8:04 AM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

got 22 today just starting to pop with all the rain we had in the last couple days they will be coming on strong washburn county didnt check all my spots either

5/22/21 @ 3:57 PM
Formerly the big guy

I took another walk today and found 16 spears. As I was checking out a patch I heard a rustling sound and about 5' away out popped a hen turkey. After I cut what I wanted I checked where she came from and found the nest with a dozen eggs in it. I left her alone as she didn't run far.

5/18/21 @ 3:27 PM
Formerly the big guy

I took a walk along a field edge. Found a dozen spears enough for a meal. If we get some rain there should be a lot more. Portage County.

5/8/21 @ 7:53 AM
Walli Guy
User since 7/27/14

i didnt have good luck planting store bought roots, but have two patches in my garden that i started from seeds. one is 3x3 foot about six years old that is producing six to eight nice big spears every few days. have another 6x6 in its third year, has close to 100 spears, from wispy to pencil size that i decided to let go another year.

its a good supplement to what i find wild

5/7/21 @ 3:15 PM
utahman
User since 3/9/03

I find a lot of spots are by power poles and fence posts where they dont get cut down. I had a few really good spots between the property and the road where the owners were were too stupid to know what they had and kept mowing it, now its all gone. I had 2 spots about 1/4 mile long that the township never mowed and then they mowed it and the only stuff that came back was behind bushes or metal fence posts and there isnt really much, just like 3 spots with a couple stalks. I posted this before, in the spring, look for what looks like a dried up tumbleweed from last years growth. Its hard pressed to find a patch no one knows about, every year I find some one else cutting ''MY'' spears very early, but then they give up. I think maybe its a tourist out of towner that comes up for memorial day. If it is front of some ones house and they arent cutting I'd take it but if I see it cut I leave it. I had a patch out by my garden with a bunch of old transplants and all kinds of new ones that I started and bought and they are all gone. they got  taken over by Rasberry bushes or I didnt feed them enough. kind of sucks after all the work I put into them over the years. Now I just have to find the wild ones. A lot of driving I kind of gave up on finding new spots as I have looked for twenty miles around

5/6/21 @ 8:34 PM
rufflefeather
PRO MEMBER User since 10/23/20

is it ok to talk about the possibilities of weather manipulation here ?

5/6/21 @ 9:16 AM
Walli Guy
User since 7/27/14

could have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but the best way to find wild asparagus is summer and early fall.

drive around and find the tall patches that have gone to seed, much easier to see than green spears sticking above the grass and weeds, then remember it for next spring.

thats how i have found my spots over the years. i picked 15 spears a couple days ago from a patch i noticed on my way fishing last fall
5/5/21 @ 5:19 PM
Pool8
User since 1/27/17

Gordonsetterman is correct. 

Found some mature stuff in southern walworth county,  in the ditches.

5/5/21 @ 8:39 AM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08

Me thinks the lady on Facebook will find out she doesn’t own the ditch or to the centerline of the road when her county/township or the energy company in her area decides to do some work.........just like the people who have a pier on a public lake don’t own the water underneath it. 

Displaying 31 to 45 of 106 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE