Darin - Lake-Link
Darin - Lake-Link
PRO MEMBER User since 5/17/01

Keep this on topic! 

Displaying 40 to 49 of 430 posts
8/3/22 @ 1:16 PM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Farcast, I have crossed 3 times since last August next week will be my 4th.  I have not personally been handed a test kit, but I have known guys outside my group that have received it.

You are not asked to take a random test at the border.  They either hand you the test kit with instructions or they don't.  If you receive the test kit you are on your own to take that within the next 24hrs by logging on and creating an account with SwitchHealth then getting into the queue to administer the test to your self while on a video call.

So you don't take it at the border, and all the customs agent will tell you if you ask a question about it is to read the instructions.

You will need a good signal or Wifi to complete the video call, then you will need access to a Purolator courier drop box to drop the sample off at.

Those that have received it I have not heard one person say it was not a pita.

With the low possibility of getting a random test still have a plan where you will get signal, and where the nearby drop boxes are on your route up so you at least have a plan should you draw a short straw.  I have heard guys in the queue for 30 mins some in the queue for hours.

good luck  

8/3/22 @ 12:54 PM
Farcast2
PRO MEMBER User since 8/28/09

Has anyone on this thread been asked to take a Covid test at the border?

8/3/22 @ 11:42 AM
kona77
User since 6/20/13

MWG-

Here is my take on your booze question. Your allowed 1-liter (33oz) or case of beer per person. Why even bother bringing in a 40oz. bottle that may result in the border person pulling you over? My biggest fear was getting the dreaded random COVD test and maybe they just add that to the list of things they check your group for if you are pulled inside for the booze?? Also on the eggs/food question, I have seen some reports of guys bringing over hard boiled eggs (which are supposed to be OK) but then the border agent wanting to check the eggs just to confirm.

My simple rule is give the Border agents "ZERO" reasons for wanting to check you. Just my input.. Hope you have a great trip.   

8/3/22 @ 9:12 AM
gobbler
PRO MEMBER User since 6/30/01

Hopefully down the road they will allow night crawlers again 

8/3/22 @ 6:51 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

MWG

1) we were planning to bring some pre-made, fully cooked (home made) meals like burritos and breakfast casserole.  They both have meat.  Is that allowed?

This is not a problem.  The one thing you could possible be asked is if you have any raw poultry products or eggs.  If you have no uncooked poultry or eggs you are fine.  There was a time they would ask the $$ value of your groceries on board, and how much fuel you were bringing in but I have not had those questions in many years.

2) if a bottle of liquor exceeds 40 oz will it be disallowed, or will it be allowed if duties are paid

It will not be disallowed, they could bring you inside to pay duty if it exceeds allowed amounts.  I have seen this go many ways over the last 40 years.  Tell them what you have, they may wave you through you may have to pay duty.

good luck

8/2/22 @ 8:51 PM
Mike C 2018
User since 8/31/18

MWG...  This Sept. will be my 10th trip up and I can't remember them ever asking me about what food I'm bringing in.  Booze, Beer & Smokes, yes,  but never food.

8/2/22 @ 4:09 PM
toughontrout
User since 12/21/20

Guidedfishing, thanks so much for that. I've been to Canada 3-4 times a summer, but w/this covid stuff............

Thanks again and I will test just b4 we go.

8/2/22 @ 3:14 PM
MWG
User since 5/12/11

I've read through several pages on this thread and I'm confused. 

1) we were planning to bring some pre-made, fully cooked (home made) meals like burritos and breakfast casserole.  They both have meat.  Is that allowed?

2) if a bottle of liquor exceeds 40 oz will it be disallowed, or will it be allowed if duties are paid?

Thanks.

8/2/22 @ 6:52 AM
Guidedfishing
User since 8/2/01

Toughontrout,

If you are testing negative and have no symptoms before your trip then there is no need to mention or say anything.  You could still get a random test at the border but that would be irregardless of anything else.

8/1/22 @ 7:03 PM
toughontrout
User since 12/21/20

I also have a question: If I tested positive today, and plan on going to Canada on 8/28/22, would the positive test have to be confirmed @ the border or would this not cause any problem? Thanks in advance.

Displaying 40 to 49 of 430 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE