Darin - Lake-Link
MEMBER SINCE 5/17/01

Keep this on topic! 

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 421 POSTS
FILTER OPTIONS

7/24/22 @ 7:27 PM
peanut09
USER SINCE 1/17/10

Our bait came from thunder bay. Crawlers were $6 a dozen. Not sure what it is in your direction. Probably about the same.

7/24/22 @ 7:12 PM
Mossy Horns
Mossy Horns
USER SINCE 6/15/01

Our group will be up in 2 weeks. Looking for bait prices if anyone is willing to report. The trip will take us through Fort Frances and souix narrows. Crawlers have always been the best for us in the past. With the live bait ban now in place. We are hearing very high prices. Looking for possible options or best place to buy on the way up.

This forum has been a great help with our preparations. Thanks to all who have posted. 

7/24/22 @ 4:45 PM
peanut09
USER SINCE 1/17/10

We crossed the border at pigeon river on the 16th. About 12 trucks ahead of us probably 20 minute wait. We were at the window about a minute. We crossed back into the US yesterday morning. We were the only truck in line. At window about a minute. No randoms for us. Everything went smooth besides the weather. Fun was had by all.

7/16/22 @ 6:42 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
USER SINCE 2/8/06

Thanks Deerlake

It’s good to hear that the lodge is thriving and keeping up the good name that Bob and Peg built. 

I started going up there 27 years ago when my oldest son turned 10 years old. I had fished LOTW for 6 years prior, but promised my son I would take him to Canada when he turned 10. 

Jeff has always been a stand up guy and really helped out when Peg was sick. I always thought that the guides were great. Although we only used them when I was recovering from surgery, they were always very helpful. I would bring a couple pitchers of beer to their table and sit with all of them talking about the patterns and areas I was fishing.

Although we stayed in the cabins for the most part, I have used the house away from the lodge and it was great. A few of the guides would come over to party with us and have some laughs. It was always a great camp and the fishing was second to none.

7/15/22 @ 7:13 PM
Deerlake1
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Zman

Yes we were at Temple Bay, some of the guys have been going there for 30 years. I am just a rookie with about 15 years.

Jeff M. was with Bob and Peg their last few years and is still there managing the Temple Bay. A large electrical supplier out of Appleton had bought it from Bob and Peg. Then the owner of that company passed away and The Appleton Company divested themselves of Temple Bay. The widow bought the Camp. They have poured lots of money into the camp, the cabins we’re all redone during Covid as they tried to keep the guides employed. A new ice fishing lodge, The Eagles Nest, was built by the prior company. It has 6 bedrooms with two queen beds in each one. Each has its own restroom facilities. The Eagle Nest as it is called has a great room with a massive two story stone fireplace with a moose head mounted. Kitchen, bar area and a massive wood table that seats at least a dozen. We stayed in the Eagles Nest with our 12 guys and enjoyed every minute we were there. Jeff has upgraded all the boats to Kingfishers made out in British Columbia. Military grade aluminum welded with no rivets. The finest boat I have ever fished out of. Yamaha engines on all the cabin boats. The dining room and bar are exactly the same. They did make a concrete walkway down to the docks where they can drive a golf cart  with physically challenged folks to the docks. Still the same TB when you drive up to the office. They are having trouble finding help since Covid but everyone is friendly and courteous. Prices are still the best for what you get.

Regards

7/15/22 @ 9:57 AM
Zmaniac
Zmaniac
USER SINCE 2/8/06

Deerlake, Were you staying at Temple Bay on Eagle? I used to make a yearly trip up there for probably 15 years. I haven’t been up there since Bob and Peg sold it. I was just wondering how it is now. 

7/15/22 @ 9:31 AM
14ftdown
14ftdown
USER SINCE 3/3/04

Young Lake Lodge is at 60% capacity for the season so far compared to pre-covid. Feel bad for the owners, but more fish for us.

7/14/22 @ 8:53 PM
Deerlake1
USER SINCE 6/20/13

Crossed into Canada at about 7am on Sunday July 3 and crossed back to USA border crossing at Fort Francis at about 10:30am on Friday July 9th. No wait either way.
The fishing camps are NOT full from what we heard and observed by the lack of boats on Eagle Lake.

7/14/22 @ 6:01 PM
Golf Guy
USER SINCE 7/22/12

Deerlake

what time of the day did you go through?

heading up in sept 

7/14/22 @ 5:17 PM
TundraDriver
USER SINCE 9/25/19

Deerlake1........sounds good.  We are also heading to Eagle Lake in a few weeks. Thanks for the info. 

DISPLAYING 41 TO 50 OF 421 POSTS
Advertise here
Advertise here
Please take a moment to visit our sponsors. Without them we would not be here.