DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

Jerk move.

11/28/17 @ 6:09 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10

Quit crying. If it was the DNR you deserved it, If it was someone trying to hunt leagally in that same area You deserved it. That simple. Stay within the law and things like this wouldn't happen.

Displaying 70 to 79 of 123 posts
11/29/17 @ 2:40 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Yes, shame on you for that opinion.  To me, that is not a small infraction.  I really don't get that fired up when I see someone bait with 2.1 gallons of corn, or hunt 1 minute after shooting hours....probably should though.  But, for me personally having gone through this, illegal stands are one of my biggest pet peeves.  I have reported these stands to forest owners and the WDNR in the past, and will continue to do so.  For those of us that bust our rears hauling in climbers, to walk in to see illegally placed stands, let alone large ladder stands that often times are illegally brought in by ATVs, that is beyond maddening.  Some of us want to work hard to get away from people, but people that drive ATVs illegally on public land or transport stands into this land prevents us from achieving that goal.  If someone carries a climber back into where I hunt, then I give them props for working at it.
11/29/17 @ 2:11 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02
I sure hope all of you who are commenting never bend the rules in any way shape or form.  My opinion in the op was that it wasn't an huge glaring violation.  The guys weren't poaching,  they weren't trespassing, just trying to hunt. No harm done.  I see my opinion is the minority at least amongst the loudest voices here, which is fine.  I just think there are way worse things the DNR can spend their time on.  Shame on me for having an unpopular opinion.  
11/29/17 @ 1:03 PM
pew.hunter
User since 9/18/02

I know a couple guys who put stands out on some public land the Thursday before season, only to come to a yellow tag on the tree saying the stands and ladders have been impounded.  This had to have been done on friday, the day before season!  It was on federal land.  I know you aren't supposed to leave stands in, but why come screw up two dudes season?  Both stands were hang ons, with hang on ladders too.  Just seemed like an unnecessary d**k move the day before season.  I was thinking maybe someone called to report them?  Maybe another disgruntled Hunter who wanted to lessen the hunting pressure on this chunk of land?  Anyone else have any experience with this?

This should be the OP's original post

I know a couple guys that made a jerk move by illegally putting stands out on some public land the Thursday before season, only to come to find a yellow tag (from the DNR) on the tree saying the stands and ladders have been impounded.  This had to have been done on Friday, the day before season!  It was on federal land.  I know you aren't supposed to leave stands in, and I am pleased that someone came and screwed up two dudes season?  Both stands were hang ons, with hang on ladders too.  Just seemed like an unnecessary d**k move to put these illegal stands up 2 days before season.  I want to thank the person who called to report them?  Probably an ethical Hunter who thinks that others must follow all the same rules as everyone else and are not entitled to this chunk of land?  Anyone else have any experience with this?

11/29/17 @ 9:28 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

jkb - That is the big thing people confuse when talking about treestands.  There is Federal land, State land, County land, Managed Open land at a minimum.  All 4 can have different rules but people tend to try and lump them all together which is incorrect.  Really have to know what type of land you are on.  Managed Open would never be legal unless you get permission from the landowner I believe (good luck).  Many places in the north its perfectly legal to do though, no different than a duck blind on public land.  Slightly different than permanent ice shacks since you can lock those.  I think the reasoning is that in the north there is a lot of woods compared to further south. 

The part that didn't add up for me with the OP though is that they said it was Federal land and the DNR left the tag.  The DNR is a state agency and wouldn't be enforcing laws on Federal land.  It would come from the Forest Service I believe.  I could be wrong though, but with how they talk about the DNR being short staffed I guess I'd be surprised if they were going out on federal lands to get tree stands.

Now some people still violate and leave stands up all year.  I know plenty of them.  Some are still used, some are abandoned.  I usually find them about the time I think to myself, boy this looks like a good spot.  I'd sit right up....oh damn.  I usually go back if there is snow for deer season to see if they are used.  I think a lot are just left because people never came back and didn't care about the cheap stand, probably not worth their drive.

11/29/17 @ 8:07 AM
bwankowski
User since 5/5/14

JKB there is nothing in rule #2 about federal lands like the op said they were on.

11/28/17 @ 11:22 PM
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
User since 10/27/02
Sorry guys I have been busy.  I didn't know I had to "chime in" to validate my post.  It did happen, I have pics of the tags left from the DNR.  As far as the Gillespie thing, yes I was an absolute a$$hat for saying what I did.  I apologise,  I shouldn't internet while in a bad mood.  That's why I deleted my ignorant rude comments.  That's not the example I want to set for my kids.  Won't happen again.  I promise.  Back to the op.  I gave my opinion and was looking for feedback and other experiences from other outdoorsman.  I was under the impression that that's what this website is for.  Thanks for the input and opinions.  Goodnight.
11/28/17 @ 9:14 PM
Fisher123
User since 7/6/06

This dude is a troll, he is just going to post dumb crap to get a rise out of people. This situation probably didn't happen, hence why he didnt ever chime in after his initial post.

Also, the comment on Gillespies daughter was a very low thing to say, even if he was just trolling for reactions.

11/28/17 @ 8:32 PM
migr8r
migr8r
User since 2/8/11

Much like the insulting craw did on Gillespie's daughter a couple weeks ago, I don't think this thread went the way he thought it would. Lol

11/28/17 @ 4:08 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I missed that part initially when I read it.  I just saw the federal land part and thought if it was National Forest then it would have been legal yet in most cases.  Didn't realize it was acknowledged as wrong to start with, that changes my answer significantly.

11/28/17 @ 3:08 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10

This is like saying "I know the speed limit is 70mph, but I thought I was perfectly fine driving 85mph. Why did that jerk cop have to do his job and write me a ticket?"

The law is the law.  I put up hang-ons on my land I hunt and it takes maybe 3 minutes to strap up the 20 foot climbing sticks and maybe 5 minutes for the stand and the rest of the stuff I use.  10 minutes if I run into issues.  

Displaying 70 to 79 of 123 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE