Jerk move.

11/28/17 @ 5:26 AM
ORIGINAL POST
crawriverrat
crawriverrat
USER since 10/27/02

I know a couple guys who put stands out on some public land the Thursday before season, only to come to a yellow tag on the tree saying the stands and ladders have been impounded.  This had to have been done on friday, the day before season!  It was on federal land.  I know you aren't supposed to leave stands in, but why come screw up two dudes season?  Both stands were hang ons, with hang on ladders too.  Just seemed like an unnecessary d**k move the day before season.  I was thinking maybe someone called to report them?  Maybe another disgruntled Hunter who wanted to lessen the hunting pressure on this chunk of land?  Anyone else have any experience with this?

Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 114 Posts
12/5/17 @ 11:15 PM
jkb
jkb
USER since 6/25/02

I admit I used to put my stand in a tree the day before the season when I hunted on public land.  I can also guarantee there wasn’t a hunter within 1/4 mile of me as I was smack dab in the center of an 8 square mile block of unbroken forest.  The closest access was 2.5 miles and it took me an hour to walk in with my hunting clothes packed on my back.  We paid the price when my brother and I had to drag out 3 bucks on opening day. My 72 year old father made 4 trips back and forth shuttling our rifles and clothes while my brother and I alternated dragging two bucks at a time and then the third buck.  We would drag the pair ahead 200 yards and then walk back to the single and pull that one 200 past the pair and so on.  After 6 hours of continuous dragging it was getting dark so I drove the truck through the woods around trees so we wouldn’t die.  So were we lazy for putting our stands in the day before?

Edited on 12/6/17 7:09 AM
Post Your Comment
12/5/17 @ 4:10 PM
LyleP
LyleP
USER since 6/27/09

Ok I find it funny when people are so proud of themself for carrying their climbers in a mile.  But then cut branched all the way up.  That's illegal too but see it all the time.  Same with cutting shooting lanes.  At least with sticks and a stand you have more options and aren't so likely to do so.  I hate when I see that.  Totally agree with the disabled or age related stand tag post.  Much safer than putting a stand up and down 10 times a week.  And again leaving a stand doesn't have to mean your "claiming" an area.  Neck put two in one tree for the guest who walks by.  At least won't be spooking deer getting up.  In case the question comes up I also use climbers just not always best option.  Nice chat everyone.  Oh and the lazy comments are are funny too,  come and see if you can keep up.  Not doing things the hard way doesn't mean someone is lazy.  There could be reasons you are not aware of.

Post Your Comment
12/5/17 @ 11:35 AM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

CDS, great idea.

Post Your Comment
12/5/17 @ 11:11 AM
cds
cds
USER since 9/18/01

For crowded parts of the state where it's illegal to leave stands overnight on public land...I would have no arguments against a "stand tag" for handicapped and senior citizens. ONE tag.

And if the warden ever shows up and someone is in the stand that isn't the tag holder,the fine would be high enough to discourage a second violation.

Post Your Comment
12/5/17 @ 7:44 AM
Thump55
Thump55
USER since 7/19/04

Lyle...there are so many flaws in your argument.

You want to do things the lazy way that benefits you and you alone.

The rest of us aren't afraid to put in the work that makes it equal for all.

Edited on 12/5/17 9:01 AM
Post Your Comment
12/5/17 @ 12:44 AM
crawdaddy
crawdaddy
USER since 7/11/01

I equate this issue to camping out all night to see that hot new movie release, then you 10 minutes before the theater opens another line forms and people are cutting ahead of those who did the work to stay in line all night.  Cheating with a deer stand is the same sort of thing.  It is wrong.

Post Your Comment
12/4/17 @ 8:53 PM
beachcomber II
beachcomber II
USER since 12/7/13

couple years ago found a spot on bago in middle of nowhere no one within 1/2 mile. i caught fish there most of season. one weekend i get there and there is a city with 4 ft 2x 4 for a marker about 30 ft. from my gps spot. i fished 1/4 mile away that day and did pretty good . fish are all over. at end of day every one was gone i moved 2x4 about 200 yards away . the next weekend nobody around the area and fish were back again.  

Post Your Comment
12/4/17 @ 3:58 PM
.Long Barrels
.Long Barrels
USER since 12/9/14

X3 on the ice fishing.  Doesn't even have to be on the ice.  People think they own spots on shore too.  It's applies all over. 

HOWEVER,  I don't take kindly to people that make ice fishing a monkey see monkey do situation.  If someone is in a spot,  way off in the distance and the whole lake is weeds, cane, deep water etc....walking up to someone and sitting down next to them is douche-baggery.  Find your own spot to fish,  don't fish up on people.  It goes the same as public hunting,  if someone is hunting there,  go else where.  No one owes the lake or public woods,  but common sense should be used.  No one owns public,  however,  if you see a stand,  hunting that area is your right too.  It just makes more sense that you move on to option #2.  If hunting public and you don't have 10 spots to hunt,  you didn't do your homework.  If you don't do your homework,  you'll only hurt yourself.

Now if your fishing and you don't have a person around.  Come back the next day early and people are in your holes ....that's douche-baggery but there is nothing you can do.  People watch with bino's and like to benefit from others efforts.  It's going to happen to you at some point if if hasn't already.  The joy's of the outdoors and the morals of human kind...the spectrum will baffle you.

Edited on 12/4/17 4:01 PM
Post Your Comment
12/4/17 @ 11:52 AM
Prop
Prop
USER since 4/9/03

X 2 on the Ice fishing Bugle. 

Post Your Comment
12/4/17 @ 8:38 AM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
USER since 9/27/01

"but you can't lay claim to public and think you own it."

Wish that applied to the ice as well.  But that's a whole other discussion.  Lots of douche-baggery going on there as well.

Edited on 12/4/17 8:39 AM
Post Your Comment
Displaying 51 to 60 of 114 Posts