10 deer licenses sold to kids under 1 year of age.

11/29/17 @ 9:59 AM
ORIGINAL POST
PimplySwede
PimplySwede
USER since 1/6/09

Read on the WEAU website that 10 licenses were sold to "hunters" under 1 year old this season.

Unethical parents exploiting the law for a $5 tag.  This was not the intent of removing the age restriction.  Luckily, the youngest reported harvest was by a 4 year old.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 65 Posts
1/20/18 @ 9:38 PM
Tim_T
Tim_T
USER since 6/17/11

One of the leading proponents of this change was the Sportsman's Alliance. I have had membership in this group for years. I have yet to decide if I am going to renew. I was all for the mentored hunting law. I am a former Hunter Safety Instructor and totally against 2 guns in a mentored situation. Glad I'm not teaching Hunter Safety anymore.

Tim 

Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 4:50 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

I trust the same kid at 12 moreso than the same kid at 7, 8 or 9 years old.  I can't imagine giving my toddler a gun and having the kid tote a gun and trust they will not fire in somebody's direction. 

Yes, there are laws that are broken routinely which are hard to enforce, but at least the previous rule sure seemed to stop kids in diapers carrying guns in the woods on deer drives.  Since there is no minimum age law and the "mentor" can now carry a gun, a warden stopping guys after a drive coming out of the woods cannot prove a kid was not being mentored.  Before this change, if a kid 9 years old came stumbling out of the woods with a gun, there had better been an adult without a gun in the group.  

Edited on 1/19/18 4:51 PM
Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 4:30 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
USER since 1/12/14

Your right. Law is law. Regardless of the law people still break it. Alcohol is a big contributor to fatalities, does this mean we should raise the drinking age to 30. Can a 21 year old handle the responsibility? I don't know about you but I don't trust a 12 year old with a firearm. My point being JC is regardless of the law people will always abuse it. Same story different topic. Some are good and can understand the responsibility some can't.

Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 8:59 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

"You forget its a mentored hunt"

That is the problem, is it really?  Surely more likely on private land, but the stories I hear is there have been several reports in this neck of the woods of using kids as additional drivers on public land.  Since they are a driver, might as well have a gun in their hand right?  A kid is a kid, but I would trust the same kid at 12 vs. 9 with a gun by themselves a bit more.  There are a lot of idiot fathers out there who think their kid can handle way more than they actually can.  How many dads would actually admit their kid isn't mature enough to handle a gun?  Most dads are too macho and proud to say something like that.  Heck, "if Frank's dad is letting his kid hunt with our group, sure as heck my kid can."

Post Your Comment
1/19/18 @ 8:44 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I agree with that, the mentor doesn't need a weapon.  I don't get why they changed that.  If you can't give up some time to help your kid get started, then you have your priorities wrong. 

(JC - Don't take me too seriously, I do get it.  That is perfectly done!)

Edited on 1/19/18 8:46 AM
Post Your Comment
1/18/18 @ 5:33 PM
One shot one kill
One shot one kill
MEMBER since 8/12/02

Yes it is a mentored hunt . But why does the mentor need a weapon also  ?  When it was 1 for 2 hunters I had no problem with it . However we want to think there are a fair number of unethical people out there . I will even admit I have tagged a few bucks with my brothers tag when he still hunted . He was there and in the woods with a weapon,  but did not have the deep drive to sit all day in rain or snow . Plus he usually only had a day or two . He did shoot at a few over the years but did not put in his shooting practice time . Only hit one and the neighbors finished it . 

I could have just as easily kept his tag in my pocket and used it when I wanted .

Eliminate the group hunting  and  we may see a greater chance of ethics being practiced. 

Post Your Comment
1/18/18 @ 1:27 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
USER since 1/12/14

You forget its a mentored hunt. A 9 year old isn't allowed to carry a fire arm all on his lonesome. Some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining. Big problem now days with this country. People that love to create problems. Be part of the solution not the problem! Was there any reported incidents as a result of this? No. Lets move on from this. I took my 8yr old, Saturday morning opening day. He harvested his first buck. Yes we sat in a enclosed blind. Yes he had a firm rest. Yes the hunt was totally mentored the way it should. END OF STORY. Speed limit is 70 on the interstate but yet we still drive 75-80. C'mon Man.

Post Your Comment
1/18/18 @ 12:48 PM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

"Lots of adults flinging bullets wildly"  So adults are the problem?

See, that is how the networks work.  

Post Your Comment
1/18/18 @ 11:49 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
USER since 7/20/09

I like how you ignored the first part of what I said and used 1 phrase to draw an inaccurate conclusion.  You could get a job at Yahoo News writing headlines.  All you really did was take what you needed to continue your complaining and didn't really counter anything I said. 

I do agree though with the drives, not a fan myself.  Lots of adults flinging bullets wildly that I worry about.  I know one guy who has a bullet in his cabin from someone doing a drive.  That stuff is a numbers game, far more adults than kids doing it so the likelihood is much higher for it being an adult.

Edited on 1/18/18 12:12 PM
Post Your Comment
1/18/18 @ 10:24 AM
JC-Wisconsin
JC-Wisconsin
USER since 4/1/05

"Couple kids went hunting, big whoop"

Well, if a 9 year old ends up shooting your son while conducting a deer drive, then it is a big whoop.  I agree, the easiest fix is to stop deer drives, and especially for public land.  The next best thing is to make party tagging illegal.  It is illegal for bowhunting, so why do we allow it for rifle hunting?  Yes, people will still do it, but the practice would decrease to some degree.

Post Your Comment
Displaying 1 to 10 of 65 Posts