LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

10 deer licenses sold to kids under 1 year of age.

11/29/17 @ 10:59 AM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Read on the WEAU website that 10 licenses were sold to "hunters" under 1 year old this season.

Unethical parents exploiting the law for a $5 tag.  This was not the intent of removing the age restriction.  Luckily, the youngest reported harvest was by a 4 year old.

Displaying 30 to 44 of 110 posts
1/26/18 @ 10:11 AM
velocity
User since 5/12/16

I have to agree with you JC. Unfortunately some of these laws are put in place to protect people. I too am extremely conservative. But somewhere along the lines common sense needs to be brought to the surface. There are a lot of people in the world that have no clue that they need to be governed because they don’t have the sense God gave them. Let the bashing begin!

velocity

1/25/18 @ 1:22 PM
LyleP
User since 6/27/09

I've seen comments about banning drive now?  WTH people seriously I vote ban the idiots that don't belong out there and leave traditions alone.

1/25/18 @ 11:37 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14

A mentor must be with in arms length of the child. So if you see otherwise JC on all your deer drives then the law is being broken. Call the DNR and report it. End of story.

1/25/18 @ 10:54 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

So, if a father is a bonehead and doesn't care about the mentored hunting portion of the law, you would trust a 7 year old with a gun on a deer drive as much as the same kid when he is 12 and 5 years older?  Facts?  I think you can look up lots of data comparing the maturity and decision making of a 12 year old vs. a 7 year old if you really need those facts.  I won't be wasting my time finding that for you as this should be common sense for MOST adults.  I personally wouldn't risk my kids or others safety by sending my 7 year old out on a deer drive alone with a gun.  But, unfortunately most people falsely believe their idiot kid is a prodigy.

Opening up licenses to kids under 12 was a bad decision from the start.  I base that on, yes, the minority of people I know that took their toddler along on group deer drives in 2017, and having them carry a gun like the rest of the crew.  Perhaps when someone gets shot by a 7 year old on one of these drives, or the 7 year old shoots himself, then that may present a fact you can use to help in your evaluation of the rule.  There are not enough wardens in the first place to enforce the "mentored hunting" portion of the law, and it is tough for a wardens to catch these idiots in the act anyway.  This could be potentially addressed if deer drives were banned, and party tagging was banned like it is for archery and crossbow kills.

If you are on stand during rifle season and have a toddler walk past you with a gun during a deer drive, you wouldn't feel uneasy?  If you say no, then you are simply stating a lie or are a thrill seeker.

1/24/18 @ 9:27 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

JC,  a child still can't hunt by themselves if under 14 so I see no issue.   How bout be stop selling licenses to those over 50 years old because there are more heart attacks in the woods than gun injuries caused by people under the age of 18?  My statistic is fact.  Your opinion is based on fear but no facts to back it up.

1/24/18 @ 8:13 PM
Brad
User since 6/19/01

Fish - 

Sorry to be THAT guy, but slide the decimal point a bit to the left on your previous post.

And while I'm already making the mistake of posting on this, I feel that the drinking age, driving age, and the legal age to marry are all good things.  They are reasonable accommodations to our freedoms put in place my our elected officials that help make sure we don't harm to ourselves or others.  Especially that last one...

1/24/18 @ 1:19 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme

From what I could find on the internet the DNR sold 588,387 tags for the 2017 9 Day Gun Season. The 10 tags sold to under 1 year accounts for about 0.000017% of the total sales. Amazing!

1/23/18 @ 12:14 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

I will deal with it, as there is no choice.  I recommend you contact your senators to have them get rid of the minimum age requirements for obtaining a drivers license also.  Why do we need rules, right?

1/22/18 @ 12:31 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme

Typical. Let's ruin it for the ones that do follow the rules. Hell we might as well lock the whole world down. Go back to the ways of the west and the 6 gun. Come on JC. Even these so called leaders we vote for can't  stay on the straight. Let's not act like rubes here. We can go round and round. Law is not in your favor on this topic so deal with it. 

1/22/18 @ 12:11 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

"Now we get a little freedom back and people are complaining?? Why do people need so many laws and government to tell them how they should live their life?? "

Because what was said, there are idiots that need to be regulated.  I am as conservative as you can get and a staunch proponent of hunting rights and guns as anybody.  But, to put guns in the hands of 7 year old kids and let their parents regulate what they do is a disaster waiting to happen.  Most people don't need to be told that letting their 7 year old partake in a deer drive by themselves is not a smart thing to do, but many don't care or believe their kid is a prodigy. 

Should we do away with the requirement a kid has to be 16 years old to drive a car?  

1/21/18 @ 2:57 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme

Madfor sounds like they want more government to help with that. " Why is the rich man busy dancing, while the poor man pays the band." Travis Tritt 

1/21/18 @ 2:11 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12

...because our society is overrun with an abundance of idiots who lack sound judgement and a measure of common sense necessitating laws to protect us from the bottom end of the bell curve.

1/21/18 @ 11:02 AM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13

I don't understand why everyone is so bent out of shape with the relaxing of this hunting law?  As the years go by, we slowly have freedoms stripped from us.   Now we get a little freedom back and people are complaining??  Why do people need so many laws and government to tell them how they should live their life??  

1/21/18 @ 8:24 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme

I brought 2 guns. 1 was my 270 and 2 was 5.56. Here's my reasoning. The 5.56 is gas chambered semi auto so recoil is extremely minimal. The boy practiced up to 75yrds and that was the max distance I felt my son was comfortable with. 5.56 sighted in at 75yrd. Both guns cased until inside the tower. I brought my 270 so if ol booner was 200 yards out just teasing I could shoot. Both guns leaned in corner. The 5.56 wasn't loaded until we had a shot at his buck. Again we weren't deer driving, the boy wasn't marching threw the woods. We followed the book, safe hunt. My soon to be 6yr old may hunt in 2018. Copying the exact format of our 2017 hunt. Maybe additional rules need to be applied. #1 must be seated or in a encloser. All I can say is this change made 3 happy guys Saturday morning and a memory was created that will never be forgotten. Dad and his 2 boys harvesting a 1st buck. 

1/20/18 @ 10:38 PM
Tim_T
User since 6/17/11

One of the leading proponents of this change was the Sportsman's Alliance. I have had membership in this group for years. I have yet to decide if I am going to renew. I was all for the mentored hunting law. I am a former Hunter Safety Instructor and totally against 2 guns in a mentored situation. Glad I'm not teaching Hunter Safety anymore.

Tim 

Displaying 30 to 44 of 110 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE