LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

10 deer licenses sold to kids under 1 year of age.

11/29/17 @ 10:59 AM
INITIAL POST
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Read on the WEAU website that 10 licenses were sold to "hunters" under 1 year old this season.

Unethical parents exploiting the law for a $5 tag.  This was not the intent of removing the age restriction.  Luckily, the youngest reported harvest was by a 4 year old.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 110 posts
12/14/17 @ 3:51 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Guess I took that to say the kid shot the gun on his own, as in the mentor didn't prop it up and pull the trigger like they'd have to do with a 10 month old (jokes).  I didn't take it that the kid did the entire hunt on his own.

But I get it, pile on for the sake of piling on LOL.

12/14/17 @ 2:35 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
LOL Edge.  I believe you are correct!
12/14/17 @ 12:39 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Fishnxtreme,

From your last post you just called yourself a moron

12/14/17 @ 11:24 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14

Well said Lake shiner. I'd be willing to bet that the people against this don't even have children and couldn't possibly understand the joy it brings a father/parent to harvest a 1st buck with your child. Especially when he is 8 and can do it all on his own. There are always people that abuse the law. Doesn't matter if its hunting, speeding, or paying taxes. Some people just like to complain for the sake of complaining. This is America! Good decision Walker!!  Also your a complete moron if you think young kids can handle this responsibility on their own.That is why its a mentored hunt. Just so your aware Edge I aced my hunter safety test!

12/14/17 @ 11:07 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I have to be honest, I learned more from my dad or whoever took me hunting than I did in hunter safety.  That class was common sense.  I have no problem with it not being required if a mentor is along, they should be showing them the ropes.  Should need it to be on your own though, to prove you learned what you should have.

I say that assuming all mentors are good though, but I'm sure there are some who will be sketchy.  Chances are even with the class, their kids will turn out to be sketchy too.  Like father, like son.

12/14/17 @ 7:18 AM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

Fishextreme.

It is on my land

12/14/17 @ 6:09 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme

Well its a good thing its not up to you edge! 

12/13/17 @ 9:36 PM
Edge
User since 2/28/07

No kid should be able to shoot game without going through hunter safety first.

12/13/17 @ 3:54 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme

My 8 yr old harvested his first buck. 6pt opening day. Also my 5yr was with us. A memory that I will never forget. 1 shot 62 grain fusion dead! All on his own. Just because some panzie 11 yr old cant do it does not mean my boys cant!  If a child can understand the safety, puts numerous rounds in a bullseye I see no problems with having a mentored hunt.

12/6/17 @ 8:50 AM
PimplySwede
User since 1/6/09

Those other states with no minimums also use a mentorship program.  NOBODY is sending a 5-year-old out on a stand by himself with a rifle.

12/6/17 @ 7:39 AM
fishs
User since 2/17/04

I hear the point that more than half the states have no minimum age but this is usually left out of the discussion.

"Those states with no minimum hunting age usually require completion of hunter education course and some states have minimum age for that. Generally it’s recommended to be around 10 years of age to understand everything taught in the course."

11/30/17 @ 5:27 PM
Z7nRageKilla
User since 10/11/11

How many licenses sold? I would be willing to guess that a number of these are either people trying to be funny, or a mistake made by someone online. Of the thousands sold I would imagine some people accidentally put down 1 year old instead of 10 or 11.... Really a small percentage in the grand scheme. 

11/30/17 @ 3:12 PM
Asleep at the Reel
User since 3/23/12
I saw that supposedly the DNR may follow up on some of these young guns that registered deer to verify their ability to shoot a gun.  Was a bad idea from the start.
11/30/17 @ 3:05 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

Its fun to joke about, but in reality we are all complaining about a very small percentage.  The world is full of idiots, we shouldn't get so surprised when they pop up.

11/30/17 @ 2:09 PM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05

We know you hate Walker.  You do realize that more than half the states have no minimum age for hunting, don't you?  You must think all those State's governors are "POS" too?

https://outdoorempire.com/youth-hunting-age-limits/

That being said, I agree with your viewpoint.  I generally like almost all GOP policies, but agree this mentored hunting deal for kids, and I even mean under 12 years old, is a stupid idea....regardless of State.

For the 4 year old killing a deer.  Shame on the parents, that is all I can say.  Maybe the State should start selling Dora the Explorer rifles to generate more revenue.

Displaying 76 to 90 of 110 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE