SEARCH
MORE
Waterfowl Hunting

2018 Waterfowl Reports

1/3/18 @ 9:13 AM
INITIAL POST
Gander Dander
User since 4/15/09

Another New Year, Post your pics and/or comments here for 2018!

Displaying 46 to 60 of 218 posts
11/17/18 @ 6:14 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

Scouted some local springs that usually hold late season mallards and geese. Jumped bout dozen right off the road. Decieded to go home and get the gear. Managed one greenhead, missed 2 others, and passed on 3 suezies. Still going to get few more good hunts in!

11/17/18 @ 3:36 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
PRO MEMBER User since 12/9/08
Mallards are fun to shoot and I've been on some epic field hunts, flooded rice hunts, flooded timber hunts, etc, etc.  But truthfully for me, I would much rather hunt divers.  It is more exciting to me, more intense, and there is nothing like having those flocks of 10-25+ birds buzzing the decoy set up at mach 1.   If I had to choose only mallards or only divers, I would choose divers.  In terms of table fair, cans, redheads, ringnecks, and bluebills are excellent eating.  So are many of the other species if you are good at preparation and can cook.
11/17/18 @ 2:12 PM
Abest
User since 12/2/07

all XXL mallards all the time!!

11/16/18 @ 4:08 PM
recker44
User since 12/8/09

Yep Pool 7 is a pretty awesome place and I heard some good reports from early this week. I hope to hit it next week while the cans are still around in big numbers. 

11/15/18 @ 8:52 PM
Abest
User since 12/2/07

all mallards all the time!  screw the deer the ducks are now!

11/15/18 @ 9:04 AM
Bullman
User since 4/10/15

Excellent morning yesterday in South Eastern WI. 5 mallards, 6 buffleheads, and a hen shoveler.

11/13/18 @ 4:55 PM
watspan
User since 8/3/12

perfect morning! 2-man limit of 8 mallards and 4 Redheads

11/12/18 @ 2:22 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

Good numbers of late season migratory birds accumulating on Lake Onalaska / Pool 7.  Heavy flights of swans the last week or so. High water is keeping a good portion of the backwaters open and ice free with the moving water.

Still some good duck hunting going on for late season Mallards and Divers. I'm all plucked out for the season.

So blessed to live a short distance from here. A true paradise for migratory birds.

Check out some real-time cam footage on the flyway Cam. True stress reliever when you need it. 

https://explore.org/livecams/raptor-resource-project/mississippi-river-flyway-cam

11/12/18 @ 11:31 AM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12
East central WI, checked local lake this morning, 60 percent iced over, all duck hunting areas iced over, other than rivers and field hunting, done in this area.  If this weather holds, could be ice fishing this time next week.
11/10/18 @ 7:30 PM
grizwald
grizwald
User since 2/6/09

With two weeks to go on the duck season, I would say the later opening of the northern season efed us. Hunted the river that was forming ice in moving water it was that cold. Seen dozen geese, 3 mallards, 8 mergs, and 7 swans. No takers today. No late season push through this neck of the woods!

11/10/18 @ 12:03 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
Northern zone.....cold, cold, and windy.  Also lots of ice forming this morning in the calmer water out of the wind.  Ice at edge of wind zone kept dragging dekes away.  In calm water they kept getting frozen in.  One drake mallard, 2 drake goldeneyes, and a "trophy" drake mergatroid.  Saw more swans headed south also. 
11/9/18 @ 7:20 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

Heard Canadian geese migrating today, this bites, I wanted to get out two more times.  Dang miserable this PM on the deer stand.  Could be ice fishing in a week.

11/9/18 @ 8:46 AM
AlreadyGone
AlreadyGone
User since 9/7/11

Nicely done, Suspended.  That's a Great picture...nice hunt.

Thousands of fresh geese moved into Northern Illinois this week. Anyone with some field permission near water should do well, as usual. Once again though, we just haven't seen the flight push of ducks along with the geese, as we sort of expected with this front.

Hopefully they'll be along soon...     big sigh.  

11/8/18 @ 9:40 PM
SuspendedMusky
SuspendedMusky
I saw a handful of tundra swans today.  Also a bunch of mallards, bluebills, buffs, and goldeneyes.

Pic is from a recent hunt for divers.  Nothing like having a sizable mixed flock of ducks come across the decoy spread, quickly ID redheads mixed in with bluebills, shoot from an awkward position and connect on a triple....2 drake redheads and a greater scaup.

edit: corrected "goldeneye" spelling

11/8/18 @ 8:22 PM
Fowler2
Fowler2
User since 7/17/09

As no-luck mentioned, non stop tundra swan flights the last couple days on the mississippi corridor. End is near. 

Did go for jump shoot walk this afternoon to check conditions. Lots of high water again in the backwaters. Dog wasnt too thrilled swimming in the bone chilln cold water.   Very few ducks, jumped a couple mallards, no shots. I think im done plucking birds for the year. 

Displaying 46 to 60 of 218 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE